Mount Black Mesa content in Obsidian Conflict. A request.

Obsidian General.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Mount Black Mesa content in Obsidian Conflict. A request.

Post by MaestraFénix »

*I was thinking about posting this on the bugtracker, but since many people told me to request it, i decided to make a post here*

Me, and a large group of OC players and modders want to ask to the developers if it would possible mount the content of Black Mesa in Obsidian Conflict. Considering that all the content of the mod is under a CC License of use, modify and redistribute it as long as you give credit and don´t use it for commercial projects, and their quality is overall excellent, it would help modders to avoid pack all the content inside their maps, saving on file size.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Re: Mount Black Mesa content in Obsidian Conflict. A request

Post by TESLA-X4 »

It won't be possible to do this in the current release, since this change requires a client update to function. Afaik, Neico is working on an extensible dynamic mounting system that replaces the current hardcoded one, which should make it possible to mount content (only!) from any mod.
However, full functionality of said mod within OC cannot be guaranteed if it uses its own set of binaries - binaries most certainly cannot be 'mounted' as is possible with content, so those will require an OC binary update and even then, that is only if its code is already publicly available. If the mod is closed-source, all that one can possibly use from that mod will merely be the content, nothing else.
Apparently, Valve can't make games beyond the number 2.
I think the only time we'll get a Source SDK code update is when it starts having purchasable hats integrated, i.e. hatconomy.

Please do not make assumptions you are not knowledgeable enough to make - that just backfires on yourself.
Tick me off, and I'll be sure to give you the golden treatment. Haven't you heard? Silence is golden.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

Unless the Black Mesa Team offers us the code ;)
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

That´s why i used the word "content" and not "mod". In the best of the cases, they could release the code after the Xen and DM update (2013 if we have luck).

Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

I doubt that they'll ever release the code to the public. Even the chance that we might get it is slim.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Yeah, but I can see what Maestro is getting at. Even though we can't use the code, we can still mount and use the content freely, we should do it for mappers. Makes sense, since there are a lot of props, textures, and sounds that could be very useful for mappers.
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

Well yeah, that's already in the works.
I think the only time we'll get a Source SDK code update is when it starts having purchasable hats integrated, i.e. hatconomy.

Please do not make assumptions you are not knowledgeable enough to make - that just backfires on yourself.
Tick me off, and I'll be sure to give you the golden treatment. Haven't you heard? Silence is golden.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

Well if you're a beta tester then it's already possible technically, the only problem here is that there is no VGUI yet that makes the entire system dynamic and unique for each player, meaning that oc doesn't mount BM:S and no one can change that as it's a hard coded mounting list since BM:S wasn't released when I made the new mounting system
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

And everybody inside the beta will know how is the actual state of the mount system :P

TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

Maestro Fénix wrote:And everybody inside the beta will know how is the actual state of the mount system :P
*audible gasp* Did he just..? *dramatic stare*

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

TESLA-X4 wrote:*audible gasp* Did he just..? *dramatic stare*
TESLA-X4 wrote:Afaik, Neico is working on an extensible dynamic mounting system that replaces the current hardcoded one, which should make it possible to mount content (only!) from any mod.
No. But you...

TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

Lol, you missed the point, I was referring to something else xD

destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by destiny »

does the point have anything to do with that once neico complained while we were in a chat about how the beta team hasnt been active lately?
anime watcher and manga reader and doesnt care what others think of it.
Image Image
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

Haha, nope~