What processor do you have?

Obsidian General.
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

What processor do you have?

Post by TESLA-X4 »

As in the title, I'd like to know what processors everyone are using (particularly those running servers) so I can make an informed decision on which SSE instruction set to enable when compiling the mod. This is not the place to boast about how awesome your rig is, so don't start with that stuff. As far as possible, I'd like to compile it with SSE optimizations enabled but without sacrificing support for any older rigs that may still be running the mod/hosting a public server, so sound off here if you're still using an old CPU, be it for hosting a server or playing the mod.

Thanks.
Apparently, Valve can't make games beyond the number 2.
I think the only time we'll get a Source SDK code update is when it starts having purchasable hats integrated, i.e. hatconomy.

Please do not make assumptions you are not knowledgeable enough to make - that just backfires on yourself.
Tick me off, and I'll be sure to give you the golden treatment. Haven't you heard? Silence is golden.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Re: What processor do you have?

Post by Gary »

AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition(Quad Core, clocked at 3.5(stock))

According to HWiNFO, I support the following:
SSE
SSE-2
SSE-3
SSE4A

All the information you should need on it, if you want:
► Show Spoiler
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

The show spoiler is broken :/

Intel Core2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz

I´ll put later what SSE i can support.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

Well, those two processors have no issues at all with SSE2, which requires at least an AMD Athlon 64 or an Intel Pentium 4 processor. Is anyone using/planning to use CPUs older than those to run the game/host a public server (don't scoff at this, I just want to be sure)? If not, I'm going to compile the mod with SSE2 instructions enabled.
I think the only time we'll get a Source SDK code update is when it starts having purchasable hats integrated, i.e. hatconomy.

Please do not make assumptions you are not knowledgeable enough to make - that just backfires on yourself.
Tick me off, and I'll be sure to give you the golden treatment. Haven't you heard? Silence is golden.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

I would have done that ages ago if I were you, those who still don't have a SSE2 capable CPU should even have trouble running any Orangebox Game at all
LivingWithGames
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by LivingWithGames »

I've got a Intel i3 590...with 3Ghz of speed.

I dunno much about it, but it can handle a full server in OC with ease, no slow downs I think, depends of map.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

So if you compile with an SEE instruction set, it breaks compatibility with processors that don't support SEE?

Maestro Fénix wrote:The show spoiler is broken :/
Just quote my post.
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

Yeah, that's why I'd like to know if anyone still uses processors older than AMD A64 / Intel P4 with the game.

Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Is it possible to distribute non-SSE binaries as well?
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

Yes, it should be possible for the server binary. But I'm worried about the possibility of clients switching to those binaries instead (and Valve's rather ambiguous reply regarding VAC has been of little help). Perhaps I'm worrying too much here, but I tend to lean toward the safer side of things. Especially given the stakes.

Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

You could just ask the people to open the console with -console and let them print out one of the last lines (since that line doesn't show newer CPU features like SSE3 etc. anyways):

6 CPUs, Frequency: 3.2 Ghz, Features: AuthenticAMD SSE SSE2 MMX 3DNow RDTSC CMOV FCMOV
leilei2
Polygon
Polygon

Post by leilei2 »

Are there really servers out there that use a Pentium II or AMD Athlon Thunderbird?

SSE has been supported for quite a long time now already. Pentium IV has SSE2 even.
not the targer
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Well. 99.66% of people(who were in the survey) on Steam support SEE2:

Hell, ~98% of people support SEE3.
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

Derp, I forgot that Valve has that hardware survey. :v

leilei2
Polygon
Polygon

Post by leilei2 »

Also doesn't Steam require SSE now?
not the targer