Return to City 17 (previously named coastmap)

Show off work in progress maps.
Deathy
npc_metropolice
npc_metropolice

Post by Deathy »

fug4life wrote:I think he wants them to be like hl2 maps. I've played and it's his own work from scratch in terms of building the level, at the end of the day if your not making your own models and textures, it's kinda hard not to look like a hl2 map given the resources. Keeping the same quality as a Valve map is another thing, although I think DaMaN has done a damn fine job.
It's not the textures and models... I mean the houses (how they're build (blocky Valve haha))...and maybe the displacement too...
Also, if you're returning to City17 (which is btw senseless :P) you can build the houses and streets different... there are many changes over time.
No comment from me again in this thread.
Sorry if I annoyed you.
oc_28-seconds-later_b2 (90% - on halt)
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

Deathy wrote:I don't want to disappoint you but this map looks like a bad rip of the Half-Life 2 Coast maps.
Many houses are copied and look like the ones from HL2-Coast...
You can release it but i don't find it fair... Rip HL2 maps, give them a new name and then show it as your own map...
:roll: :evil:

Nah... your problem.
First of all, these maps are made by me, and me alone (aside from the odd prefab). No ripoffs.

It wouldn't be very nice of me to go and use something someone else created and claim it as my own. That's plagiarism. (You learn that in high school ;) ).

Had you done a little research on other maps, prefabs, etc, of mine, you would know that I always give credit to other peoples' work. (For example, in HL2 DM Evening of the Deceased, I gave credits to ts2do for my use of his SDK Prefabricated buildings. In dm_finaldrive, I gave credits to MeDiEvAl CoW for the construction of the loop-dee-loop and big jumps. In the Garry's Mod Portal Challenge map, I gave credit to all the scripted weapons, custom models, and also listed Valve itself as an inspiration for it.) And when I release these maps, any map sections / prefabs not made by me will be given credit. It's as simple as that.

I take mapping seriously. Just like in English, any work that is not my own is cited/credited. This is something too few mappers really pay attention to.
Deathy wrote:
fug4life wrote:I think he wants them to be like hl2 maps. I've played and it's his own work from scratch in terms of building the level, at the end of the day if your not making your own models and textures, it's kinda hard not to look like a hl2 map given the resources. Keeping the same quality as a Valve map is another thing, although I think DaMaN has done a damn fine job.
It's not the textures and models... I mean the houses (how they're build (blocky Valve haha))...and maybe the displacement too...
Fug is correct in saying that I am indeed attempting to make my levels as HL2 as possible. That said, I am also attempting to make my levels into a unique playable experience different from half life 2, yet set in the same universe, same timeline.

As fug stated, it is indeed very hard coming up with original maps still based in the Half life 2 universe, while using the same Valve textures, models, etc. I've often picked out a texture and built a house around it, only to then notice a nearly identical house playing through half life 2 single player.

Fug has beta tested two of this series' maps so far. I would listen to what he says over what you interpret from screenshots.
Also, if you're returning to City17 (which is btw senseless :P) you can build the houses and streets different... there are many changes over time.
Returning to city 17 is not pointless if the maps are based before the events in Half life 2 ;)
You can release it but i don't find it fair... Rip HL2 maps, give them a new name and then show it as your own map...

No comment from me again in this thread.
You can insult my maps but i don't find it fair... not play any of the maps yourself, not do any research, mock my hard work anyways, and then leave and never come back...
Sorry if I annoyed you.
Well, it's obviously annoying to have people insult your maps by claiming that they are ripped off - especially without having actually played them. To make casual remarks is annoying - having your map condemned when it's not even been released is maddening.

I just really hope you stick around to see them get released, so you can judge for yourself how original my maps are.
Current projects: Return to City 17 and Rising Dead
Also, check out my Blag: http://daman-amappersworld.blogspot.com/
whoever
Polygon
Polygon

Post by whoever »

i play oc like totally avery second so i think 17 coz heli most likely go after 1 person then the other guys friends (whatever u call them) gat time to shot so no to 9 something higher
SYNERSHIT XDXDXD.
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

whoever wrote:i play oc like totally avery second so i think 17 coz heli most likely go after 1 person then the other guys friends (whatever u call them) gat time to shot so no to 9 something higher
After taking this sentence through an internet translator and back-tracking to find the post referred to (the "Quote" button is handy here), yes, currently the number of rockets is set at around 10 or 11 I think.

============

Supermegahyperupdate!! Well, actually no, just pictures. But lots of them!

Anyways, these are pics of the first map in what is proving to be a very large series. It's almost 3:00AM... again... and it just finished a fast rad compile, so I figured I'd slap a few shots together and see what you guys thought, mabye get you excited, etc.

Inside the Green Bay underground complex:

Outside, in (presumably) Green Bay:

This particular shot is at a FOV of 120 degrees. Thought it was interesting/pretty:

Enjoy!

I hope to have a beta out sometime next week, as I'll be away from my compiling computer for the rest of this week (I'll have access to internet computers, so please post your thoughts!). With only one or two minor bugs to fix that I found today, it's looking pretty good.

Not much else to say, so... gnight!
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

:shock:

:drool:

:jawdroping:

:siezure:

:ohyea:

No point in trying to kiss your arse any more so I'll tell you what I don't like..
Bunker looks great any way the arch walls could have some cables or something like pipes along them to cover the texture joins, hard to judge if you say it's a fast rad compile, also some dirty decals on that floor if you got the room, there are a few small valve broken rubble ones in sdk they might help mix up the concrete abit. And only other thing, the tree card on top of the hill, any way to make the trees a bit less overwhelming on the hill but still keep some up there?

Apart from that, looks great, sentancing looks err well not faceposer but I understand. like the story starting dialoge and think you've worded it very well.

<I'm off to take a second look>

EDIT: maybe I was wrong on second look dosent look so bad for either of the points I made...
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Lark
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Lark »

Deathy
npc_metropolice
npc_metropolice

Post by Deathy »

You should make some more variation on the displacement and on the textures (i mean the hills and mountains).
Nice work yet.

PS: The posts above? Ahh forget them... 8)
oc_28-seconds-later_b2 (90% - on halt)
Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

Custom drivable cars, Lost Coast boats, are you serious?

I now definitely respect DaMaN.
Lark
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Lark »

FORGET THEM!?!? that jeep is cool :( . and after testing these maps I couldent think they could get any better but...DAM you are pure win!
Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

gtaiiilc wrote:FORGET THEM!?!? that jeep is cool :(
A mounted M249 shooting gauss laser is not cool.
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

fug4life wrote::shock: :drool: :jawdroping: :siezure: :siezure: :siezure: :ohyea:

No point in trying to kiss your arse any more...
Aww...

No more ass-hicky? :o

;)

... so I'll tell you what I don't like..
Bunker looks great any way the arch walls could have some cables or something like pipes along them to cover the texture joins, hard to judge if you say it's a fast rad compile, also some dirty decals on that floor if you got the room, there are a few small valve broken rubble ones in sdk they might help mix up the concrete abit. And only other thing, the tree card on top of the hill, any way to make the trees a bit less overwhelming on the hill but still keep some up there?
Excellent suggestion with the rubble decals - i can think of a few spots where they would be good.

It is indeed a fast rad compile - didn't want to wait around for 6 hours ;). But yea, there are one or two textures still out of alignment. (I put it on the list of things to tweak (it's a big list) :) ). I've got a few cables and pipes and stuff, but I don't want it to get too cluttered, not only for compiling and ingame but also for aesthetics.

I also agree with the tree card on the top of the hill, though I don't think i'll change it. Firstly, it's kind of a narrow hill, so not easy to change, and secondly it's not that dramatic from the ground (i'm sorta no-clipped fifty-ish feet in the air for some of those screenshots.)
Apart from that, looks great, sentancing looks err well not faceposer but I understand. like the story starting dialoge and think you've worded it very well.

<I'm off to take a second look>

EDIT: maybe I was wrong on second look dosent look so bad for either of the points I made...
Yea, it's no faceposer but it gets the message across, i guess. :( Oh well, at least it will make recording sounds for faceposer that much easier when it gets working.

Glad you likes it!!! :D
Sexy. Though it really wouldn't fit into this map at all - given that it is a bay, and most of it is water, probably wouldn't work very well ;) But I'll certainly consider it in other maps :)
Deathy wrote:You should make some more variation on the displacement and on the textures (i mean the hills and mountains).
Nice work yet.
I agree, unfortunately, there's only one or two really good valve cliff textures - and that one's my favorite. I mainly try for height and intervening cliffs to break up monotony - seems to work fairly well. Thanks!
Deathy wrote:PS: The posts above? Ahh forget them... 8)
What posts above? 8)
Fire_cube wrote:Custom drivable cars, Lost Coast boats, are you serious?
Yes. (and it gets better - the fishing boat in front of the dock (2nd to last pic) is drivable)
Fire_cube wrote:I now definitely respect DaMaN.
:D
gtaiiilc wrote:FORGET THEM!?!? that jeep is cool :( . and after testing these maps I couldent think they could get any better but...DAM you are pure win!
8)

===========

Teensy bit of another update - I got my brother MeDeIvAl CoW rampaging through this map doing only the stupid things a little brother can do to his big brother's maps, and found a few bugs, but not as many as I had thought :thumbs:. So... beta is looking good for next week! Stay tuned!

:ohyea:

P.S. Hrmm... I forgot that the last Potter book is coming out, so I'll be reading that this weekend. Beta might have to be extended a week...

P.S.2 Well, just got back from a trip, so now I'll get back into the mapping world. Still a number of bugs to fix - and a bit of redesigning. (There's a place where I need a ladder enabled/disabled, and it's not working. At all. Like, the ladder will be disabled, then enabled, but after enabled you can't get on it - it won't let you - glytches out or something...)

Tiny Update: Ok, well, I finally figured out a workaround for the ladder. Instead of enabling/disabling it, I just pointed a template at it and spawned it when I wanted it enabled. A bit of an ugly solution but it works. I've also added soundscapes to the map - it's sounding good! At the moment I'm slowly going through the painstaking process of adding cubemaps. :?

I've been hard at work on map #2 - about 70% completed. Still plenty of glytches to work out, but I'm hoping to get a rad compile and some new shots up in the next little while.

Stay tuned! 8)

Another tiny update: I've just compiled the second map with fast rad - and found out that entdata is at 126% :? Oh well... we'll see how it looks...
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

Well, i figure it's time for yet another once again twice removed update!

And two new screenshots!! Check it out!!

Brand new!

Like used!

By now, the smart people at their computer screens should have figured out that these two screenshots are identical to the ones I posted last month. However, there is a key difference: these screenshots have SOUNDSCAPES!!! Yes, you can just hear the surf pounding away at those rocks, or the industrial hum of inside a building! It's like you were really playing the map!

So, flippancy aside, I've got the first map nearly completed, soundscapes, npc's, weapons, etc. The only thing left to do is cubemaps, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an uneventful cube-mapping.

I have compiled the second map with rad (you've already seen a few shots, of the map, but now it's got the correct lighting ;) ).

But I've decided not to post any of the screenshots I took of the second map. Until next time!!
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

DaMaN wrote:But I've decided not to post any of the screenshots I took of the second map. Until next time!!
:D :D

Ok, I just lied there. Of course I'm going to post up new screenshots. Consider the previous post a four-month-old April Fools joke. :lol:

Anyways, as I said before, I've already been working on this map, and you've seen a few shots, but now I've got the correct lighting ;), which is always nice to have. So check it out!!

An indoor shot:

An ominous sign of things to come:

There are, as always, still a number of glytches to work out (like a few scripted sequences not assigned to the right actors :slapped: ). Also, my entdata is up to 126% :shock: , so I'm thinking of cutting down on a few things, as I have yet to soundscape and cubemap the map... yea... ouch...

But regardless, work is progressing. Stay tuned!
Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

If you were someone else, I'd surely say "WOW NICE HL2 COPYPASTE"

But then I remember how you are THEMAN!

So yeah, looking awesome. Except the fact that my 5200FX does a better job than whatever you have :?
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Nice work, as always looking very polished :)
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database