Operation R-day

Show off work in progress maps.
[FTA]c0m4ndo45
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Operation R-day

Post by [FTA]c0m4ndo45 »

This thread is to announce that i have restarted my work on oc_r-day a few weeks ago and to keep up to date the development progress. A new thread was created because the original one had a lot of stuff not related to the map.

I'd also like to point that this time i am NOT halting development under any circumstances untill the map is fully completed, unless i die or something like that.

Map Development Status:

Allmost done - Final testing phase.

Additionally, there is an outro to the map which still needs some work.

Rather than posting pictures, i present you with a video of the opening of the map. No RAD compiling.

http://www.xfire.com/video/1108b9/

I will refrain from posting many pictures or videos to keep the surprise for the release.

I am sorry for my huge stop on the development.

Thank you for your patience.

**NOTE**
This map has been released. Please check this topic.
Last edited by [FTA]c0m4ndo45 on Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.
<Proud to be a gamer>

Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

God damn that's awesome, looks good so far

keep up the good work
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Dropships yes! Mounted guns yes! scenery yes!

Though I'm not a fan of the bunker, Would like to see a lower ceiling height, and perhaps a semi-circle front (where the two guns are). I think 2 of the bunker models from hl2 with the crazy window effects would look best. Though if you really want your own brush building try get the architecture looking a little better. The brush embelem also I'd just replace with ep2's sexey circular white combine decal. I just think your original version was really good I liked the combine metals you used and the architecure inside the main base was pretty good.

This is a great combine map (I love the reactor part with elites), I think you can make better.
Also note ep2 hunters are in the mod so they can be put to good use. And if you really want to give your map something that most custom maps dont have, enable the use of the supergravity gun. And add some more consoles to pull of walls to punt around.

I'm a huge fan of the combine mortar cannon, your missile defense was good but if you can squeeze some more bombardment features in for when players are covering open ground like the mortar or even env_headcrabcanisters or all even better.

Wow I said a lot, I guess my main gripe is really just the exterior architecture of your buildings.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
[FTA]c0m4ndo45
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Post by [FTA]c0m4ndo45 »

The action sequence infront of combine base has been changed alot. I myself wasn't a fan of that missile launcher. I can only say it is much more fun now ;)

Regarding architecture, i must say i am not a good architect, and i'm spending much more time working and planning out the action and fun of the map than the looks. First i'm going to get to the end of the map, and then i'll see what of the map i can polish out, but i can't promise a much better architecture.

However, i prefer making my own brush work. It may not look the best of the best but atleast it's unique.

On a side node, the 'reactor part' is not the reactor part, its the main room of the base. I'm currently working on the actual reactor part ;)
<Proud to be a gamer>

destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by destiny »

hey inst that big building and spawn the place from that beta map thats been around for a ling while?
if so its good to see a smal part of the start wich in that case i say this:i cant wait for the full map release.
anime watcher and manga reader and doesnt care what others think of it.
Image Image
[FTA]c0m4ndo45
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Post by [FTA]c0m4ndo45 »

You must be talking about oc_r-day_alpha. Yea, it's that map. And it has changed alot since.
<Proud to be a gamer>

JerC
Donator
Donator

Post by JerC »

Beach?Omaha beach?!That would be epic.
Please don't take my posts before 2013 too seriously. It will be better for both you and I :c
Vaun
COMBINE PLAYERMODEL PACK
COMBINE PLAYERMODEL PACK

Post by Vaun »

I just hope a lot of the glitchiness and inconveniences are taken care of. so far the glitches/problems I've encountered are:

1. sniper rifle and/or battery crates not respawning.
2. non-solid rock near the shack with the sniper rifle and battery crates.
3. gunship not smashing open the door like its supposed to
4. second spawn dropping you right in front of 2-3 active ceiling turrets

Asid from these problems, from the sounds of what you've said, the map is going to be great.
A bullet sounds the same in every language.
Blues
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Blues »

Btw. if you want to increase player's health beyond 100 you gotta use a trigger_multiple or whatever that fires an output like:

OnTrigger | player | AddOutput | max_health 200 | 0.00

(If "player" doesn't work, try "!activator" and put the trigger where everyone will touch it after spawning)

Or something like that. I think it should work, at least it does in CS:S.
Image Image Image

Excuse me for being rude. I'm usually drunk while posting.
[FTA]c0m4ndo45
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Post by [FTA]c0m4ndo45 »

Thanks to the swine flu being quite out of control in my area, i have gotten way more time then i could ever have hoped for out of college. The classes were to start 3 Aug, and now only 21 days later they're about to begin next week.

The good news is that i have spent alot of this extra time working on R-day, and i'm now glad to announce the map is near completion. All areas and action sequences have been implemented, now it's just testing, fixing and improving what has been done.

Soon i may post some screenshots of problems i have in the map which i dont know how to fix so maybe someone can help me with them.

Thanks for the support in advance!

The R-Day is near!
<Proud to be a gamer>

[FTA]c0m4ndo45
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Post by [FTA]c0m4ndo45 »

So here are 2 little problems i dont know how to fix. If you can help...

Crystal Texture: Can't find a good texture to make this crystal look ok.

Also, the sun seems to be getting in the particle cannon room through an iris door on the roof. It also seems to worsen fps... I don't want sun in here.

These arent really big problems but if you know an way to fix i appreciate it.

Since there arent other big problems/bugs in the map so far, the release date for the map is next saturday, 29 aug 2009, unless something really bad happens in the mean time.

Testing and fixes will be done untill then and after the release if needed.

Thank you in advance!
<Proud to be a gamer>

Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

Have you tried Eli's Xen Crystal Texture?
Blues
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Blues »

To keep the sun outta there, use the blocklight texture (I think it's called toolsblocklight - at least it's in the "tools" material folder)

Concerning the crystal texture: Try the one from the crystal model in DaMaN's Return To City 17 series. Make your rector crystal thingy a func_brush to allow the refract shader to work correctly. If this crystal has to be another kind of entity (for example func_breakable) I'm not really sure if the shader will work, but you can just try...

Edit: Have you gone gay now, Vasili?
Image Image Image

Excuse me for being rude. I'm usually drunk while posting.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Yeah DaMaN's Crystal texture or google Nudel's refract glass material pack. If your using refracting textures, func_brush with all faces covered and additive is probably your best bet. Also add a cubemap near and make sure all faces are assigned to the cubemap.

Pics look good :)
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
[FTA]c0m4ndo45
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Post by [FTA]c0m4ndo45 »

I had actually allredy extracted that texture (damans) and thought about using it but was worried about permissions maybe?...

Thanks for the help!
<Proud to be a gamer>