oc_hive

Show off work in progress maps.
destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Re: oc_hive

Post by destiny »

pitfall traps reminds me of those in css ze maps always fun to see some fall into those.
anime watcher and manga reader and doesnt care what others think of it.
Image Image
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Aight, delving into the world of ssbump maps even further, ssbumps seem to give a wet look when used with envmap.
Currently the normal maps Ive created need improving in order to improve the quality of the ssbump (which Axel_m3sh has posted a nice link to a program I need to check out).

ImageImageImage

I think this is prehaps to subtle and blurred, also this texture was originally meant to use with $detail parameter.
Learning bit by bit day by day...
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Not much to say this week I've had very little time (English essay to write):

Worked on these textures, been playing with CrazyBump (didn't use the other program as I need to reinstall paintshop).

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

And this one belongs here in this thread:
► Show Spoiler
:wink:

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Tallfire
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Tallfire »

That texturing and shading alone looks like it took a good deal of work it looks great!

Also about the spoiler:
► Show Spoiler
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Only one texture is made by me from a ref photo (the red'ish looking stone block frontleft). The rest are from de_aztec, I just decided to change the way they work compared to css.

As for the spoiler its driveable as well. The Models are Markworth's can be found on FPSB.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

I'm still trying to figure out how you're supposed to drive said spoiler through a cave. But, there seems to be a lot more texturing going on that doesn't seem like it would be in a cave. I sense a long map in the making.
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Yeah I'm really looking forward to this!
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Thanks guys,

No you won't need the apc for the caves, the apc is for a beach landing on the surface map (so are the black hawks).

I worked on them both just to make sure the ideas for the surface map are 'do'able', don't worry this middle 'cave' map will be released before the surface map so people can beta test.

This map I'm just having a little break from I spent the last 3 months on it, and decided I'd work on my other maps for a bit, but I want to start releasing stuff asap, it's been over a year since a map from me was released.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Then the "circuit" of the map is start inside of the cave, fight to get outside, and escape in the beach,no?

I bet 10€ that you got inspired in the ending of Jurassic Park III.

I can´t wait to try it!.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

map format will be, assault the island (surface map) open the temple, ride the elevator platform down into temple (mapchange) negociate the caves rescue a VIP escape (hive/cave) (mapchange) (surface map part b) get rescued maybe small defense senario while you're waiting to be picked up.

I saw the last 30 mins of what I think was JP 3 on tv over christmas, and no wasn't inspired by, I'll take the 10 bucks!

I'm not sure what inspired me, many things have contributed to these maps, I guess I wanted to make a nice combat map as I haven't really done much like that since 4 years ago with warmachine.

Also I made a mapadd for de_aztec I really love that map but the optimisation of the map isn't very good for npcs and the mapadd wasn't very exciting (which is a challenge with mapadds). So I guess I just wanted to do my own thing.

I spent the last couple years really working on mapadds and as cool as that can be often you just wish you'd custom made a map for the ideas you explore want in the mapadd. So I decided to start up hammer again propperly and build from scratch.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

fug4life wrote:map format will be, assault the island (surface map) open the temple, ride the elevator platform down into temple (mapchange) negociate the caves rescue a VIP escape (hive/cave) (mapchange) (surface map part b) get rescued maybe small defense senario while you're waiting to be picked up.
A VIP map, yes, i want play it again!!!!.
fug4life wrote:I saw the last 30 mins of what I think was JP 3 on tv over christmas, and no wasn't inspired by, I'll take the 10 bucks!
Oh sh..
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

So still juggling two maps, I've hit a bit of a major problem with the other, where probably the maps geometery will have to dramatically change, which is annoying as I was close to a beta release.

However, I want to get all my maps together so where I slow up on working with one map, I can switch back to the other. The plan is in a couple of months I'll have a couple of maps for release at the same time.

So been working on the end and start of the map, here is a section where temple meets hive at the start.
You absail down as far as you can and drop the rest. Depending on which rope you absail on will depend on the class you play as.

(flashlight off)

(flashlight on)

This is an example of all the 'webeffect' models I'm going to make to really make the hive feel more like a hive than a cave.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

That's cool how the webs are really subtle till you shine a flashlight on it, is it a default stock model from ep2 or did you do something to achieve that?
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

In ep2 the texture is used on displacements. Though Ive messed with the texture vmt settings so much I'm not sure they are in their original form.

I'm using the texture on models as I have no room for displacements, though the lighting I think is very similar to ep2 even though the differences between model and disp lighting.

The plan is the whole map will have the web running through out, I think roughly it'll take around 10-15 models to achieve total web coverage of the hive.

So I'm going for a look that ep2 didnt achieve, or couldn't seing as they didnt utilise propper.

I guess the inspiration is Alien films and more specifically AvP2 game there was a level where you go into the alien nest to save someone, and you have to extract whilst under the pursuit of aliens.

H.R. Giger style.

Good ol propper.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database