oc_raiden (Half-way test released)

Show off work in progress maps.
TeamMember
Polygon
Polygon

oc_raiden (Half-way test released)

Post by TeamMember »

Okay, here is the half-way release test map thing.
And don't forget to tell me what you think :)
Well, I've been around on OC for quite a while, so I figured that it'd be a good idea to come out of the shadows and contribute something.
So, I came up with oc_raiden. It will be two part, but I'll explain the plan for oc_raiden2 when I get around to making it.

My basic plan for oc_raiden is to split it between four areas, the bunker field, bunker underground, the forest, and the shrine fields.

Anyways, here are some images of it so far..

In front of the spawn

A blocked road

A cliff for jumping

One of the path markers that will start appearing in the forest

Well, I'm hopeful for the map, and I'm working hard on it. I will post updates and images when I find the time..

If you have any suggestions, please post them.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask them.
Last edited by TeamMember on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current map projects: oc_raiden, oc_nightmare, oc_upgradewars, oc_funky, oc_racewar, oc_saltfactory, oc_jcc, [Secret project, at least 15 maps], [Secret project, at least 8 maps]
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Re: oc_raiden

Post by DisConnected »

Path maker things look a little out of place compared to the rest of the map. Try using a more modern looking one, maybe just one of scrap that the rebels put together. Or a recetly made techy type modern gate with a light and stuff. If you go with the latter, for god's sakes don't use one made by the combine, otherwise it would look weird.
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Can you say a very bit of the argument of the map?
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Hi, map looks solidly built, I'm looking forward to playing it.

More maps for OC = win!
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
TeamMember
Polygon
Polygon

Post by TeamMember »

DisConnected wrote:Path maker things look a little out of place compared to the rest of the map. Try using a more modern looking one, maybe just one of scrap that the rebels put together.
They're meant to be old looking, but it probably does need more work. That'll probably be one of the first things I'm doing as soon as i start the forest area.

Well, the bunker fields are almost done. I just need to fix up some lighting, add a few props, and set up the NPCs.

Also, it's probably a stupid question, but how do I change the damage an NPC does, or can't I?
Current map projects: oc_raiden, oc_nightmare, oc_upgradewars, oc_funky, oc_racewar, oc_saltfactory, oc_jcc, [Secret project, at least 15 maps], [Secret project, at least 8 maps]
Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

There are some ways to change npc dmg,

First is giving em custom weapons with set bullet dmgs

or search for "sk_" commands or something in the console to set npc dmgs as well as other things (ex: sk_zombie_melee_dmg/whatever) and put it into a .cfg file for your map

You can also use a point_servercommand(?) in your map to change the those skill settings on-the-go
TeamMember
Polygon
Polygon

Post by TeamMember »

I've updated some more stuff, and I'm pretty sure I'm about to start the bunker underground. I'll double check on that tomorrow.

Anyways, if anyone is interested, I have a video. The miniboss takes awhile alone, so, yeah.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.xfire.com/video/402ece/[/BBvideo]
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

Lurvley video. But being that one person who finds fault in the smallest of things, I'd suggest that in future videos like this you don't spent too much time at the shop/spawn area. Get your stuff and then start it.

The map looks pretty good, nice and solid. Lighting is alright, could be more interesting though. Some things to improve on:

-The map looks a bit bland in some places (like the cliff concrete part as you walk out of spawn). Add some more props and details. Play around with the lighting (which although looks fine, could be improved upon a lot) and maybe add a light fog.
-The displacements' shadowing and texture alignments look off (freeze at 1:06).
-Don't give the NPC's too long names, like that zombine that took you 2 minutes to kill, or else it will cut off when he kills the player in the death log thing. If you're fine with that, then you can keep it. Your choice.
-Add more cover at the button standoff. Some metal boxes that players can arrange around and maybe build a fort, if you're feeling a creative vibe for the map.
-Reduce the Combine and Hunters coming from inside the shield areas. But that's just from SP video, unless I try it with some people, I can't say for sure. But reduce the hunters coming out of there, for sure. There should be a 1:6 Hunter to Combine ratio or so.
-The ocean looks glitchy. When you turn your mouse through it (10:11) it seperates into squares. Might be your GHX card or the video, but I suggest you look into it if it has something to do with your map.

And yet I feel a bit bad for giving you all this criticism, since I'm dying to play a new map for OC. Take your time though, and keep up the good work!
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
TeamMember
Polygon
Polygon

Post by TeamMember »

It's alright, I love the criticism.. (If it's helpful..)

The ocean, it's probably just me.

I'll work on the displacements, I noticed that when I tested. I suck with them .-.
I could dig around for some good props and cover, and take the "Miniboss:" out of the name..
I'd like to test it with people before messing around with the standoff, I'm not sure how difficult it really is yet.

By the way, the trees.. I'm not really too sure about what's custom or not. I think the oak came with a map, but I'm not sure.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

DisConnected wrote:I'm dying to play a new map for OC. Take your time though, and keep up the good work!

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
TeamMember
Polygon
Polygon

Post by TeamMember »

Well, I'm back with some updates.

I'm pretty sure the Bunker Fields are done, and I've started with the Bunker Tunnels.
It's turning out alot differently then it was going to be... I think it's better then it would've been, though.

Anyways, here's some images.

Two Bunker Field images, not too different from awhile ago.

The first tunnel in the bunker, going down

Hallway with a flickering light

I'm rather proud of what I did here, even if it is really simple.

I'm really happy with how these tunnels are turning out so far.
I have a small empty room, and I don't know what to do with it, though.

*Oh, and Chargers cost 100 points now.
Ark
Donator
Donator

Post by Ark »

That's looking very nice, good work!
TeamMember
Polygon
Polygon

Post by TeamMember »

I was sitting around in school yesterday, then I had the idea of putting in Crab Synth.
Here is a rough test of what I mean. It's probably simple for most of you to do, but whatever. :)

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.xfire.com/video/40b40a/[/BBvideo]
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

There's a guy on the gmod forums who recently, ragdolled and gave the model a propper collision mesh, ima pm tonight see If I can get hold of it.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Here's my old concept, of it using the combine cannon:

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
Now imagine that ragdolled, with a collision mesh and using the animations like you have in your scripted sequences.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database