Show off work in progress maps.
Umbrae
prop_static
prop_static

oc_necro

Post by Umbrae »

**3 years later, the plot moves.**

Currently Working On: Mechanics and New Classes

"Darkness... That's all... It's been three weeks... or maybe longer... Food is running low, and the garden has suffered from neglect. Every night I fall asleep in darkness, every morning I rise in darkness, I breathe the darkness. I'll have to go outside eventually, to brave the desolation, so I can find a way out of this unending purgatory of darkness..."

After fleeing the city you traveled as far as possible. You traveled for days and nights without rest. Finally you found an old abandoned farm and settled down. You don't remember when you stopped seeing the sun. Perhaps all of this is some twisted nightmare, or perhaps it's very real.

Oc_necro will feature a loose progressing storyline, tons of areas to explore, a starting class system, missions/ tasks, and harvest-like features (not just farming though, lots of other stuff to be mentioned later).

Before anyone asks, I've already obtained Tysn's permission to implement a growing system and a day/night system.

To be also noted, all content featured in this map will be credited in the map itself as well as on the release thread (like Nightmare House 2, any music, etc.)

Updates will be when they happen.

Map Features:

-Class/ Profession-Based (Citizen, survivor, engineer, etc. Each class has a choice of possible weapons/ upgrades that can be purchased)

-The ability to recruit and hire npcs. I'll try to add ways to give them orders.

-Farming. You will be able to buy seeds at several locations (or scavenge for them). Any produce grown from plants can either be sold or eaten (which will add some hp+ armor). Food will also be able to heal friendly npcs.
Status: Melons and juniper finished. Mushrooms can be grown in the basement.

-Brewing. Brew gin in the basement. Add water, mushrooms (yeast), and juniper berries to produce a bottle of liquid cash. The type of mushroom used will determine the quality and value of the product.

-Scavenging. Scavenge for various useful and useless things such as, boots, car batteries, weapons (rare of course), and much more! (A lot more).

-Grave digging. If you don't find anything morally wrong with digging up the deceased and risking possibly finding zombies, then go right ahead. Valuables and remains can be found in graves. Valuables can be sold (hopefully no one will ask you where you found the item you are selling), and remains can be burned for a small reward.

-Mission/ Job running. You will be able to run numerous missions/ jobs for npcs that will reset/ change every few "days".

-"Day"/ "Night". The map is constantly night, however there is something called the darkest hour. During the darkest hour you want to be inside or you run a fairly decent chance of having your face eaten by some kind of horror of the night... If you get stuck outside find somewhere to hide, but there should be a good warning, because it happens very gradually.
Status: More wraith spawns to be added. Darkest hour to reduce health if outside a bed.

-Sleeping. Sleeping will regain health if you sleep in a bed/ on a mattress during the darkest hour. Beds get you more health than mattresses. Oh... and before you start playing with your friend you might want to call top bunk. ;)
Status: To be added once night health damage is implemented.

-Complex shop system. There will be a lot of things to buy including, goods, weapons, upgrades, furniture, and a lot more.
Status: Sam's shop 5/8 farm upgrades finished. 0/4 planned shops completely finished.

-A progressing world. When you do things, they have consequences.
Status: 0/5 main plot branches finished. Choices to be added to allow for minor plot branches.

-Enemies are actually challenging. Yes that's right, don't think this is just another boring shoot the zombies map. There are no spawners that constantly spawn unending waves of weak zombies. Zombies have high health, decent damage and there is a decent variety of zombies (I've expanded past just the regular zombie, fast, poison, and zombine). Enemies will respawn after the darkest hour, and fairly randomly. Enemies won't be profitable unless you are a good marksman with a good arsenal, and even then you may find yourself wasting bullets.
Status: 1/8 planned zombie types added. 1/4 spider (headcrab) types added. 1/3 enemy human types added.

-Exploration. This map is pretty big right now, and it's only going to get bigger. As a result this is going to be very time consuming, but well worth it. A key aspect of this map is exploration. There will be numerous haunted environments to explore, so go ahead and run off into the darkness, that is if you dare to. ;)
Status: 0/6 major areas finished. I am grouping the town/highway/farm as 1, and those will be the first.

-NH2 Content. This map will use Nightmare House2 content. Right now I have most of it working, and I will figure out a way to make it work when I release the map.

-A lot of other things that I haven't mentioned.

Anyway, that's enough for now. I'll add more later. Please feel free to post/ comment. I am very open to suggestions, and appreciate every post of feedback. When the alpha is completed I will need alpha testers, but that's a ways away.

**When will this map be released?**
I plan to release this map for testing in 5 sections, since it is such a massive project (if the whole thing ever gets finished). The order of release will be upon completion of: the forest, the wasteland, the forgotten land, the city, and one final time for patches/fixes.

Last edited by Umbrae on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:55 am, edited 15 times in total.
~Umbrae~
Xenire
Former Developer
Former Developer

Re: oc_necro

Post by Xenire »

I'm not really a player of Harvest type maps, but what you have here does sound fairly interesting. I like the dark theme of the map. Best of luck getting it finished. :thumbup:
[tab=135]Salt.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

So this is the map which you have been working on? No doubts about why did you wanted to work with Gary, both maps has the same gameplay.

I don´t like Harvest maps, but maybe this can be fun.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

Umbrae
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Umbrae »

It's really designed to be more of a exploration/ you choose your game play sort of a map. The harvest stuff, as well as scavenging, grave digging, etc., is optional, but it might fit into your own style of game play so I decided to make it available. You start on the "farm" (more of a barricaded house in the middle of nowhere, with a place where you can plant stuff later to one side). You then must travel across the long forgotten landscape to the town, which more or less serves as a center point for the map. From there you can explore. The map will contain elements from just about every horror theme, such as a hospital, a zombie infested city, catacombs, a dark forest, and much, much more. The map has already taken a while, and will take quite a bit more time to finish, but I have no doubt that every bit of work is worth it.
~Umbrae~
Umbrae
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Umbrae »

Here's some new screenshots in terms of current progress. The landscape is a bit flat, but I'm working on that.

"Choose your profession wisely, choose your equipment wisely, if you hope to survive."
"It's as dark as night itself down here, but even I could call this place home."
"I swear this land is cursed and every step in it is cursed all the same."
"This old clinic is still in operation, despite what is happening outside."
"I think something lives up there, I could have sworn I heard something moving..."

That should do it for today. More updates to come in the future.
~Umbrae~
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

How good are the FPS?

Umbrae
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Umbrae »

I am not exactly sure the exact number, but all that I know is I don't lag the slightest bit, and I lag on maps such as Starship Troopers... My computer isn't a gaming computer. I am adding in nodraw + area portals + other optimization features to reduce possible lag, so in the end if your graphics card isn't 3-4 years + out of date (like mine) you should be fine, and even then I might not even lag on the final version of this map, but that's a ways to go. So, so far so good.

If you know how to check FPS, if you post it here I'll go check it next time I compile.
~Umbrae~
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

net_graph 1

+showbudget https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Showbudget

mat_wireframe 1 (useful to see the visibility of the hint/skip and areaportals)

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wik ... _design%29

Umbrae
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Umbrae »

Sorry for any delay in response. Anyways it looks like I am getting about a 35 fps average in some areas and about a 70 average in other areas, but so far all parts of the map play fairly smoothly without lag. I lag modestly on many other maps, but so far I am not noticing slight lag for the map, so hopefully that will keep up.
~Umbrae~
Umbrae
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Umbrae »

Here's some new screenshots, featuring a few of the things that have been added recently.

Main room fireplace with no fire... You can add logs to the fireplace to light a fire. Fires last for roughly about 1 in map day length (10 minutes currently)
Main room fireplace with fire.
Bedroom fireplace with fire. The beds can be slept in at "night" and will give you health.
Oh no! You've been seen by a zombie.... The skin is from NH2, because that's the content I am using, but because it is a custom skin replacing the default, it won't be in the released version of the map. The name has been changed so it is no longer "npc_zombie". You might also notice that the right side of the map looks like it could use a bit of work. The good news is that is my current project.
To kill that zombie I went through about 2 burst fires, but that was not being resourceful with ammunition. That zombie had the default health. The zombies in the released version of the map will be significantly stronger.
That's the rock wall bordering the first section of the map. I tried to make it look as natural as possible, and hopefully the final product will look decent.
~Umbrae~
Umbrae
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Umbrae »

Here's a long overdue update for the map of some minor things that I have added recently...

~Umbrae~
Umbrae
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Umbrae »

I've got some great news. Now with everything working again, I am back to work at the map. Here's some new overdue screenshots of current progress. The map is also taking a different turn in terms of game play style than I had originally intended. It looks like the map will be more of an exploration map with zombies, military, raiders, classes, some storyline/ lore and some harvest-like features. I'll edit the main post when all this is more finalized, but keep checking this thread for updates, because things are going to start to get interesting as I start to work my way towards and around the town.

Here's a picture of a campsite with some dead raiders, you'll notice 2 bodies and 3 blood trails if you are in the map, just one of the many examples of subtle, creepy things in the map that cause you to construct your own interpretations of the lore through your imagination.

Some trailers that might be enterable via a teleport and area outside the map. Oh and before anyone asks, yes the first thing that came to mind was, "Oh a crashed bus... this would be a great spot to add a campsite nearby." :P

Before you ask, yes that is a custom NH2 model that will be featured in the map, along with other NH2 content. Just the crashed bus, and dead security guard/ riot police/ whatever you want to call it, add to the general mood of the map.

Here's a better view. A good thing to remember when exploring, is that you never know what you will find, so explore within your own comfort level if you get creeped out easily. ;) If you do, you will enjoy the much more familiar and well-lit areas such as the farm, the town and the other major areas. If you love the spooky atmosphere then go ahead, run off into the darkness. ;)
~Umbrae~
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

I´m seeing the geometry of the skybox. Make sure you define the skybox on the map properties and not by applying the texture on the skybox (use the tools/toolskybox texture), or change to another skybox.

And looks like you have few FPS, so you should optimizate your map.

Umbrae
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Umbrae »

Good ideas/ tips, thanks. :)

Yeah I have the entire first part of the map cut into sections and ready for area portals, but I don't intend on adding them until I finish up this part of the map... so hopefully in another few updates. Otherwise I am using water control to reduce some lag, as well as nodraw. If you know of any other ways to optimize, feel free to post them here, because any suggestions are appreciated.
~Umbrae~
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Umbrae wrote:Good ideas/ tips, thanks. :)

Yeah I have the entire first part of the map cut into sections and ready for area portals, but I don't intend on adding them until I finish up this part of the map... so hopefully in another few updates. Otherwise I am using water control to reduce some lag, as well as nodraw. If you know of any other ways to optimize, feel free to post them here, because any suggestions are appreciated.
http://www.optimization.interlopers.net/