oc_umizuri_j_cedit (WIP Map Edit)

Show off work in progress maps.
Charles445
Polygon
Polygon

oc_umizuri_j_cedit (WIP Map Edit)

Post by Charles445 »

In order to get familiar with Hammer and the systems of Obsidian Conflict again, I decided to redo the umizuri edit I did 5 years ago.

The main idea behind this edit is to give umizuri a more personal feel.
Players can own houses and store the items they obtain, as well as furnish the houses with props.

An example interior of a home.
A higher up view of the main area.

Below is the current added features as well as the things modified from the original.
---

Features:
Store to purchase items and services.
Gold nuggets can be fished up and traded in the store for 50 points.
Houses can be purchased and owned for 250 points a piece. There are 8.
       The houses have two floors.
       Houses have a keypad inside that lets you set the password for the home on the second floor.
       The outside keypad enters the password.
       Opening the door tests the password.
       A yellow key is inside that will open the same house when it touches the door. Fits in the inventory.
       Keys lost in the ocean will bounce up and down so that they are easily noticeable.
Ammo crates can be purchased at the store with points.
Medical supplies can be purchased at the store with points via an ordering system.
       Healthkits cost 25 points per.
       Healthvials cost 10 points per.
       Batteries cost 15 points per.
       Completing an order and dispensing the items costs 5 points.
       Orders with over 5 of the same item will come out as a portable crate.
       Any items besides crates left on the ground will be removed after a few seconds to prevent lag.
Lockpick can be hired to attempt to break into purchased houses for 150 points.
       Homeowners can kill the lockpick to stop him from opening their home.
Balloons float by occasionally; shooting the balloon will provide a random piece of furniture for the home.
       There are 47 possible pieces of furniture to find.
       Some pieces of furniture are more rare than others.
       Furniture that touches the water will be immediately destroyed.
       Yes this is referencing / ripping off Animal Crossing.
Furniture boxes can be fished up and put in the unboxing machine.
       It costs 50 points to unbox a crate.
       These are the same props and odds as the floating balloons.
       Yes this is referencing / ripping off Team Fortress 2.

Modified Things:
Tentacle monster changed into dynamic prop. It was too painful before.
Water push removed. Drowning was more frustrating than it was worth.
Jukebox removed. The music didn't really fit, and removing it allows people to use their own tracks.
Relationship on Helicopter and Gunship modified to apply over and over to stop them from shooting people who just joined.
Healer removed from spawn, medical supplies are purchased at the store instead. Weapons crate still gives healers.
Weapons crate is now slightly more rare. This is to add emphasis to the ammo crates.
Removed fishing from the skybox. Getting stuff stuck in the skybox isn't very fun.

---

The reason I have put this in WIP is because I am not entirely sure everything is as it should be.
Map edits are just that: Edits. They're not original or new so it's scary releasing one. Zteer has made a fantastic map and I don't want to insult it with mediocrity.
I'm worried that I made a change or addition someone wouldn't agree with, so I'm hoping to hear your opinions of the concepts.
The map also isn't heavily tested. I have not had the opportunity to have anyone else play the map, although in my personal tests I have not run into any issues.
If someone owns a server that would be willing to give testing it a go, running it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading to this point, sorry for the wall of text.
If I wasn't clear on something or if you would like a picture of something or if you have a suggestion, please let me know.
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Re: oc_umizuri_j_cedit (WIP Map Edit)

Post by TESLA-X4 »

I like the changes you've made / are planning to make.
Charles445 wrote:Houses have a keypad inside that lets you set the password for the home on the second floor.
This seems vulnerable to trolling, unfortunately. Unless you already have a way to counter that potential issue.
Charles445 wrote:Keys lost in the ocean will bounce up and down so that they are easily noticeable.
You could also give them a subtle pulsing glow by setting their effect keyvalue to 256 with the AddOutput input. If you want to try it out on-the-fly to see how it looks, use the command ent_fire !picker addoutput "effects 256" (the double quotes are part of the command; use effects 0 to revert to default).
Apparently, Valve can't make games beyond the number 2.
I think the only time we'll get a Source SDK code update is when it starts having purchasable hats integrated, i.e. hatconomy.

Please do not make assumptions you are not knowledgeable enough to make - that just backfires on yourself.
Tick me off, and I'll be sure to give you the golden treatment. Haven't you heard? Silence is golden.
Charles445
Polygon
Polygon

Re: oc_umizuri_j_cedit (WIP Map Edit)

Post by Charles445 »

TESLA-X4 wrote:I like the changes you've made / are planning to make.
Cool, thanks! All the things I listed are actually in it right now. I don't have any more planned yet.
TESLA-X4 wrote:
Charles445 wrote:Houses have a keypad inside that lets you set the password for the home on the second floor.
This seems vulnerable to trolling, unfortunately. Unless you already have a way to counter that potential issue.
The only trolling issue I can see with a keypad is someone buying all the houses, setting the pads to a crap value that nobody remembers, and running away.
This would render the 8 houses not accessible, and that's why I added the Lockpick!
He can be hired for 150 points to try and break into any of the 8 houses.
If the troll has left the server all the houses can be regained with this method.
The troll could theoretically kill the lockpick every single time he tries to unlock a house, but this would be quite the dedication of time and if it does happen it wouldn't surprise me if the rest of the server votemaps the map again to reset the houses.
TESLA-X4 wrote:
Charles445 wrote:Keys lost in the ocean will bounce up and down so that they are easily noticeable.
You could also give them a subtle pulsing glow by setting their effect keyvalue to 256 with the AddOutput input. If you want to try it out on-the-fly to see how it looks, use the command ent_fire !picker addoutput "effects 256" (the double quotes are part of the command; use effects 0 to revert to default).
I might give this a shot, although I'd want to keep the bouncing so the visual effect isn't hindered by it being somewhat underwater as it floats.

EDIT: Considering releasing the alpha for playtesting purposes