Vectors [WIP]

Show off work in progress models.
SkyNinja
Polygon
Polygon

Vectors [WIP]

Post by SkyNinja »

I really hope someone out there knows what I'm talking about. I know around thirty people IRL, only two of them know what Elfen Lied is, and only one's seen so much as the first thirty seconds. I think I'm the only person in my county to read the manga... *Sigh*
Anyway, I've been working on this for a bit, I plan to make a weapon using the models. Well, planned. I'm pretty well hitting a brick wall, seeing as there's no possible way to limit the range in Obsidian... Nevertheless, it's still going to be some good animating practice. I haven't gotten so much as a single animation done yet, because, right now, my computer seems to have about as much functionality as the old '98 in my garage...
[thumbnail]http://essen.sepwich.com/hl2/vctrs.jpg[/thumbnail]
Tips, criticism, and the likes are welcome.

UPDATE: This is still being worked on, but it doesn't seem it'll work for obsidian, so I'm going to have to do it in Gmod... which mean it'll be a long time with the limited lua knowledge I have.
Last edited by SkyNinja on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Re: Vectors [WIP]

Post by MaestraFénix »

What is the code of the .vmt file of the texture? You used the "Refract" shader? (yes, i want do something like the old Combine Sniper (or Combine Elite) from the leak, because their camouflage is similar).

Apart of that, is a good idea (if are something in Hammer to gib something alive in touch it will be perfect).

Continue working.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

Baddtraxx
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Baddtraxx »

dude... thats the best fraking idea ive seen for any game... o_ o
swep or npc?
destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by destiny »

the invinsible hand thing those always creeped me out wen i watched it.
anime watcher and manga reader and doesnt care what others think of it.
Image Image
SkyNinja
Polygon
Polygon

Post by SkyNinja »

Patchouli wrote:swep or npc?
Seeing as I have limited LUA knowledge, and only know how to make an swep, it's gonna be an swep. I know how to make a melee swep with limited range and custom force, so it'll work, but it won't be pretty... I'm going to experiment with custom weapons for Obsidian, and try to find some type of setup that's at least SOMEWHAT usable... Possibly by using the fire cone to make it so it's only going to get a good hit from a certain range. Still MIGHT hit from a distance, but hopefully not... Heh, I'll hopefully figure something out...
Maestro Fénix wrote:What is the code of the .vmt file of the texture? You used the "Refract" shader?
Yup, refract. Here's what's in the vmt.

Code: Select all

"Refract"
{
	$normalmap "models/vectors/vector_refract"	
	$refractamount .3
	$envmap "env_cubemap"
	$envmapcontrast 1
	$envmapsaturation 0
	$envmaptint "[0.6 0.6 0.6]"
	$model "1"
}
Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

Oooo, I could use it to make a custom boss/npc (or anyone else for that matter) cept, is it a viewmodel or world model? ( I want to parent it to an npc and get it to look like it's coming outa their backs)
SkyNinja
Polygon
Polygon

Post by SkyNinja »

Axel_m3sh wrote:Oooo, I could use it to make a custom boss/npc (or anyone else for that matter) cept, is it a viewmodel or world model? ( I want to parent it to an npc and get it to look like it's coming outa their backs)
It's planned for a viewmodel. As far as being a world model, I just decided to use horns on the head for that, because I've never seen any way to have a world model that animates separately from the wielder. It might be possible, don't get me wrong, but if it is, I've never come across a way to do it.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Thanks Sky, you saved my life.

Refract (in VALVe Developer Community): http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Refract

Refract
{
	$normalmap ...
	$dudvmap ...
	$refracttint "[1 1 1]"
	$refractamount .2
}
The yours:

"Refract"
{
   $normalmap "models/vectors/vector_refract"   
   $refractamount .3
   $envmap "env_cubemap"
   $envmapcontrast 1
   $envmapsaturation 0
   $envmaptint "[0.6 0.6 0.6]"
   $model "1"
}
I'll try it tommorrow.

About make the vectors as a weapon, i have to test if is possible make a custom melee weapon taking as a base the weapon_crowbar script (probably will get me the stupid warning "No advanced options", so probably will not work).

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Not work the script, so forget make it as a weapon (for the moment).

About the .vmt code works perfectly (it shows black in HLMV, but is correct in game).

Hmm the only way that left is make it in Hammer as a thing that insta kills the enemy gibbing it (don´t know how to make it). I don´t know if will work with the following configuration, but maybe using the "point_clientcommand" maybe is possible make a "custom Hammer weapon" (i will have to investigate how work the flamethrower and the "ion cannon" for oc_sso or oc_breen_office for example).

Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

It's just some fire entity parented to a physbox and then set those to a point_template parented to a flamethrower-ish physbox (I won't go into detail because I'm just guessing the basic stuff for this lol)

It's possible though
SkyNinja
Polygon
Polygon

Post by SkyNinja »

Heh, I haven't been around in a bit. Had a lot going on. I'm not good with hammer, so I can't really be of much help there. Well, I have the origins set up, and I've done some of the animations, but they're kinda sloppy.
[thumbnail]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/59580 ... A61C534AD/[/thumbnail]
[thumbnail]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/59580 ... 2D3EA5A21/[/thumbnail]
Damn, these are hard to see. They should be reflecting some, but for some reason, they just aren't here... I don't know whether it's my fault or just the map...
Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

Good job mate! :thumbup:
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

SkyNinja wrote:Heh, I haven't been around in a bit. Had a lot going on. I'm not good with hammer, so I can't really be of much help there. Well, I have the origins set up, and I've done some of the animations, but they're kinda sloppy.
[thumbnail]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/59580 ... A61C534AD/[/thumbnail]
[thumbnail]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/59580 ... 2D3EA5A21/[/thumbnail]
Damn, these are hard to see. They should be reflecting some, but for some reason, they just aren't here... I don't know whether it's my fault or just the map...
Perfect :3

Datastream
Donator
Donator

Post by Datastream »

They're supposed to be hard to see. In the anime they are supposed to be invisible I think.
Baddtraxx
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Baddtraxx »

They are Invisible in the Anime^^