Server slow downs, with maps like harvest and paysan

Server Help/Discussion.
funk
Vertex
Vertex

Server slow downs, with maps like harvest and paysan

Post by funk »

Hi, I hope someone can help me. In maps like harvest and paysan, when you have too much things like wood planks, or fruit and vegetables in a basket, or too many things in that chance game in oc_paysan they start jumping around and they slow down the server to a measly 10fps and it lags the server. I know this because when you take them out, the servers speed gets back to normal.

Is there a way to stop them from jumping around and interacting with each other too much, because once it starts it never stops. I was thiking if possible to change something that affects the physics? But I have no idea how.

Thanks guys.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Re: Server slow downs, with maps like harvest and paysan

Post by Neico »

if you don't have any idea how to solve it why bothering? It's not like that this is totally unkown to the entire source engine, it's physics~
and freezing them after a while until someone picks it up is something tysn would need to look into~
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Re: Server slow downs, with maps like harvest and paysan

Post by TESLA-X4 »

I guess another way to address the issue is to add a counter entity for the resource entities (e.g. meat, wood, etc) that are spawned, and either prevent the source entities from appearing (e.g. birds, trees, etc), or prevent the resources themselves from spawning (mushrooms, pumpkins) if there are already too many on the map. Still gotta wait on Tysn and the respective map makers for this, though.
Apparently, Valve can't make games beyond the number 2.
I think the only time we'll get a Source SDK code update is when it starts having purchasable hats integrated, i.e. hatconomy.

Please do not make assumptions you are not knowledgeable enough to make - that just backfires on yourself.
Tick me off, and I'll be sure to give you the golden treatment. Haven't you heard? Silence is golden.