Large Address Aware Patch Can Fix Multiple Crash Issues

Server Help/Discussion.
raidensnake
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Large Address Aware Patch Can Fix Multiple Crash Issues

Post by raidensnake »

Here's a little something to inform you guys. I've discovered a fix for both clients and servers that can resolve a lot of memory issues like for example string tables errors or too many ENTS in-game after a while on certain maps. This mainly affects clients and servers running 64-bit windows. The root cause for this is running out of available virtual memory. Since Source 2007's hl2.exe and srcds.exe are 32-bit applications the virtual memory is capped to 2GB. The solution is a Large Address Aware patch. What Large Address Aware does is allows 32-bit applications to use more than 2GB of Virtual memory. It actually allows it to use 4GB virtual memory. More memory means less things are likely to happen. For example one of the troublesome maps although old that hits mainly servers is oc_paysan_b11. Through testing both Online & offline it encountered the string tables error due to the lack of available virtual memory. No doubt this is caused by issues in the map development. However After applying the LAA Patch to srcds.exe and reloading the map the map loaded correctly without any issues due to the expanded virtual memory.

I'd recommend all servers and players apply this patch by downloading from NTCore's Website:
http://ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

PLEASE NOTE: THIS PATCH DOES NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES AFFECT VALVE ANTI-CHEAT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM AND MEANS IT IS SAFE TO USE ON BOTH CLIENT AND SERVER SIDE AND YOU WILL NOT GET VAC BANNED! THIS HAS BEEN TESTED EXTENSIVELY BOTH ONLINE AND OFFLINE ON HL2.EXE AND SRCDS.EXE

To Confirm this also this Large Address Aware patch has been used without issues for almost 2 years by the NRMiH (No More Room In hell) Team.
Here's the lead programmers post suggesting players to implement LAA posted 4th November 2011:
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com/forums/ ... topic=6600

I'd recommend to all players and windows server admins running any version of 64-bit windows to apply this patch.

I've already applied LAA to my client and on the server itself without any issues.
I hope this helps you guys.
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Re: Large Address Aware Patch Can Fix Multiple Crash Issues

Post by TESLA-X4 »

Disclaimer for anyone who's going to try it: If circumstances change and you somehow get trouble for this, don't look to us - you're on your own.
Apparently, Valve can't make games beyond the number 2.
I think the only time we'll get a Source SDK code update is when it starts having purchasable hats integrated, i.e. hatconomy.

Please do not make assumptions you are not knowledgeable enough to make - that just backfires on yourself.
Tick me off, and I'll be sure to give you the golden treatment. Haven't you heard? Silence is golden.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

TESLA-X4 wrote:Disclaimer for anyone who's going to try it: If circumstances change and you somehow get trouble for this, don't look to us - you're on your own.
There is a last thing to try: Your "experimental" Hotfix-4 server that has the main server. It looks like is more stable than the Hotfix-3. You could try cutting down all your experimental stuff and only releasing the stuff that is already done.

We can´t allow have the luxury of losing servers. And since the Steampipe update, is pretty hard (next to impossible) to create a new server, since for example, you not longer can get the GCFs.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

raidensnake
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by raidensnake »

Here's a testers response from the NMRiH team about implementing LAA:
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com/forums/ ... 0&p=145988