[Tutorial] How to get started animating

Discuss Certain Aspects of Mapping, Modeling, and Coding.
Linkmister
Former Developer
Former Developer

[Tutorial] How to get started animating

Post by Linkmister »

Project Files:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/Project_Files.zip

3ds Max Trial:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc ... d=13571450

Make sure to download "3ds Max" not "3ds Max Design"

Introduction:

Before I start this "tutorial" let me first explain to you that this isn't something that I can exactly "teach" the reason for this is that every animator has their own style. This style determines how your animations will be done and how they will look in the end, so it is up to you to discover your own style. I am also not very good at writing tutorials >.<. And with that let's get you started

The tool you will be used to animate with will be 3ds Max. Even though you can use XSI and I believe Blender to animate with I will stick with 3ds Max since it was the first animating and 3d modeling program that I started off with so for the sake of this tutorial please use 3ds Max. A 30 day trial is up on their website but quite frankly I don't care how you get it since this program costs a whooping $3,490. :O

Though 3ds Max will confuse you when you start you will get used to it in time and eventually you won't be so afraid of it, and besides half the tools in this program you won't even be using so you are fine!

Getting started:

The project file that has been linked to you contains 3 project files to get you started.
-Rigged and Linked
-Rigged and Un-linked
-Un-rigged and Un-linked

For those who want to get straight into animating then the first option is for you, for those that want to set up some things to your preference then the second option, for everyone else who wants things their way then the third option is yours.

You may be wondering what the difference is and of course I will go over that.

Rigged and Linked
Means the gun is all setup for you and every thing is parented to the gun, meaning when the gun moves so do the parts and the hands.

Rigged and Un-linked
Same as above except you will have to link everything manually, great for those that want to have the gun move with the arms instead.

Un-rigged and Un-linked
Everything is floating in space now, you will have to get the hands to grip the gun as well as link everything when it is done, recommended for those that really want to pursue this as a passion much like myself.

Now that you know what each file is it is about time I tell you what is in all 3. The 3 files contain a CS:S arm rig and an M9 pistol.

The CS:S arm rig has bones and Dummys.
The bones move each finger division of that finger so it can be easy to rig.
The Dummys at the end move the arm itself and can will help position it.

When you open up the files you will get error messages along the lines of "Missing external files" and it will state the paths that they were in, this all references to where my materials were stored and as such your gun won't have them. I have included the textures with the project file so you can easily drag and drop them onto the parts.

The next thing to know is auto key and the time line
The time line is that big bar at the bottom that has numbers, the time line follows the 30 frames a second rule so you may think 3 seconds is not enough to do a reload but you would be wrong.
The auto key function is going to be your best friend, what it does is that it allows you to...well animate. Take this for example:
You move the time slider on the time line to frame 5 and turn on auto key, you then move the box, now when you go back to frame 1 and play it the box will reach where you put it at frame 5. Easy huh?

Another important thing is linking which will help you a great deal later on, go to your toolbox(which is the huge bar on the right) and click on the tab that has a wheel. This leads to some things that you don't know about at all but this spot will help you out in the future when you are actually animating stuff in-game. I will let you find out what to do here on your own ;)

Objective:

Your job is simple, animate(as well as rig it and link it if you chose the third option) a simple mag out/in reload. Sounds simple right? That is because it is if you know what you are doing.

The links are your friend and will help as you animate, also remember that you can copy/paste keys on your time line which will save you a good amount of time. When you are finished with this you will probably discover your style of animating whether it will be cool and calm or crazy and eccentric. The choice is yours and is the beauty of being an animator, you have no limits.

Of course this doesn't go without a price, when you are finished you will say something alone the lines of "OMG THIS SHIT IS TERRIBLE!!! I SUCK!!! I QUIT!!!! MOM MORE POP-TARTS!!!" this is one of the reasons why animators aren't so common due to the learning curve which unfortunately involves a lot of trial and error.

And trust me I am no god of animating I looked like this when I started off hard to believe that was 3 months ago.

You just have to keep practicing at it and experiment, you will eventually get the reload you want down.

Qualifications:

Now the qualities an animator needs, this is rather simple:
-Dedication
-Time
-The ability to take feedback well
-And the need to be EXTREMELY anal about your animations

Tips and tricks:

Being anal about your animations is both a gift and a curse. A gift in an instance where you don't release a shitty animation, but a curse in instance where you are NEVER satisfied.

Sometimes the best thing to do is get feedback from other people and see what they think, allow me to give you an example. When I first made my Uzi animations I thought they were...well shit. I was going to trash them when instinct told me to go get some feedback. I found that other people liked them and I posted them on the OC forums, I of course thought everyone was going to feel the same way I did but I was dead wrong and as such I ended up releasing them, and now look at me, I am animator for one of the best Source mods that I have every played.

In short don't trash something just because you think it sucks, get some feedback and try to improve it, who knows, it could be release-worthy.

Listen to some music, it helps lighten the mood and can help you think clearly.

If you get frustrated save where you are and take a break, you don't want to get too pissed off and forget about animating.

While playing an FPS pay attention to the reloads, this helps you catch other people's style of animating in which you can add to your own.

Watch videos of people animating, I know it is weird but it can help clarify things.

Practice makes perfect and remember, this is all in good fun.

A little challenge:

I am curious as to where all of you start with animating so I want you to post your first weapon animation here, I know it may seem weird showing off something that you may think looks bad but we all don't start off perfect.

If you have any additional questions such as

How to get your animations in-game
How the hell to work the link constraints
How to get other weapon models
How to fix the origin on some models
Etc.

Don't be afraid to send me a PM here on the forums or send me a message over Steam, I will try to help you to the best of my capabilities. :)

Have fun!
Last edited by Linkmister on Mon May 24, 2010 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

Hey, I could use this as a jump start for some game design career lol

Thanks for the tut, too bad I don't have 3dsMax. However my friend does and he's currently looking for a job in 3d modeling so I guess this would help him find a job.

You should be glad you helped someone now lol :thumbup:
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Good stuff interesting read, something Ive wanted to try. Maybe one day I will.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Re: [Tutorial] How to get started animating

Post by MaestraFénix »

I´m started to experimentate with my sword model. For the moment, (more or less) i made a propper "draw" animation, but i need to see an exact reference about how to animate it. I post this because the "example files" are gone (why upload to filesmelt? the most of things that went uploaded there came to get offline soon).
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

At least is better than that weapon who had wrong anims.

I have a question. How i can find the "point" to set the animation (the scene)? Because every time that i move the scene, it appears in a different position in-game, and looks for me random.

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Maestro Fénix wrote:[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

At least is better than that weapon who had wrong anims.

I have a question. How i can find the "point" to set the animation (the scene)? Because every time that i move the scene, it appears in a different position in-game, and looks for me random.
Looks like creating a camera at the origin with a FOV of 54 degrees can "work".

Also, in HLMV, there is a option to see how it looks (options/viewmode view).