A map idea in the works

Discuss Certain Aspects of Mapping, Modeling, and Coding.
CondusMundus
Vertex
Vertex

A map idea in the works

Post by CondusMundus »

So I just thought I would throw this map idea out there to see if anyone will actually play it if I make it.

My idea is this.

The players assume the role of urchins in the depths of a large futuristic city's waste dump. Every few minutes either fast zombies or antlions will spawn in varying quantities to attack the players. Before these attacks the players can gather (breakable) props such as wooden planks, crates and metal sheets that they can freeze into place to build small fortresses in the nooks and crannies of the building foundations. Once the players survive for long enough they can begin to pursue either a "Rescue Goal" or an "Escape Goal" by either powering up generators and building a radio transmitter or gathering supplies to build a ship of some sort. Or the players can choose not to pursue either of these goals and can instead see how long they can survive against greater and greater numbers of monsters.

There would also be randomly generated treasures that players can collect to open extra rooms or to unlock better weapons, and at least three unnecessary areas that could be scavenged for extra building materials or other bonuses.

Please tell me what you think if you read this, if I get some good feedback on this it might give me enough motivation to actually finish it.

Thanks for reading.
Condus Mundus
Language of origin: Latin
Meaning: Builder of Worlds
destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Re: A map idea in the works

Post by destiny »

sounds good to me.
anime watcher and manga reader and doesnt care what others think of it.
Image Image
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Agreed, do it!
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

A zombie survival map (zombiemod for me XD), that X minutes after begins the round is transformed into a Zombie escape or Rescue Hostage, with the possibility of choose if you want do it or not.

Do it! Sounds a refreshing idea for the zombie themed maps.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

CondusMundus
Vertex
Vertex

Post by CondusMundus »

Maestro Fénix wrote:A zombie survival map (zombiemod for me XD), that X minutes after begins the round is transformed into a Zombie escape or Rescue Hostage, with the possibility of choose if you want do it or not.

Do it! Sounds a refreshing idea for the zombie themed maps.
I was actually leaning more towards antlions but I could add a button in an admin room or something that toggles which one is used.

Or I could make it random/mixed(don't know if I can make zombies play well with antlions though).

Thanks for the support guys, I think I may have to try for a map like this.
Condus Mundus
CondusMundus
Vertex
Vertex

Post by CondusMundus »

Just getting done fleshing out the layout. I'll post pics in a WIP thread when I get it lit up in all its dev-texture glory.

There are four major areas so far.

The main "Hub" of the map.
Two branches from the "Hub"
The drainage canals.

And then there are a few small hallways and rooms off the two main branches leading to each other and the "Hub".

The map is medium/small and needs some more vertical combat areas but so far everything is coming out well.
Condus Mundus
PrplFlavrdZombe
Polygon
Polygon

Post by PrplFlavrdZombe »

To be honest, I think I would prefer the antlions over the zombies. I think Zombies in general are getting a little over saturated. The antlions would also be more interesting to fight in an urban environment than zombies, they have a lot more vertical mobility.
I liek Mudkips
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

PrplFlavrdZombe wrote:The antlions would also be more interesting to fight in an urban environment than zombies, they have a lot more vertical mobility.
Fast Zombies have a lot of more. Antlions only can "long jump" away.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

CondusMundus
Vertex
Vertex

Post by CondusMundus »

Maestro Fénix wrote:
PrplFlavrdZombe wrote:The antlions would also be more interesting to fight in an urban environment than zombies, they have a lot more vertical mobility.
Fast Zombies have a lot of more. Antlions only can "long jump" away.
Well, if you remember the watch towers in d2_prison_01 antlions are capable of reaching vertical locations but they are rarely used so.
This being said, I think that both could be equally adept at attacking higher targets but overall antlions fit much better for the idea and gameplay of the map (not to mention that they're easier to set up).
Also, the only possible vertical combat currently would be with the attackers (antlions) having the vertical advantage against the players so this point is kind of, well... pointless for now.

By the way, I've moved to a WIP thread if anyone is interested.
Condus Mundus