More puzzle less KILL EVERYTHING AND WIN.

Discuss Certain Aspects of Mapping, Modeling, and Coding.
Sonic
Former Developer
Former Developer

More puzzle less KILL EVERYTHING AND WIN.

Post by Sonic »

Gobanzo_Mon wrote:The thing that lags me the most in the mod is what cow said. Its fps lag, not internet lag. By nature, vehicles and npcs lag like hell, and most of the obsidian conflict maps consist of massive loads of respawning NPCs. NPCs lag because they're using AI, physics, server side animation, and sound (probably more) all at the same time. I'd like to see more puzzle maps that require cooperation rather than KILL EVERYTHING AND WIN which is pretty much every map in the mod except the crane ones.
I also believe this, I wish for joe to come back and update his quest map from b2 and increase his map count on obsidian!
Image>>>>>Image<<<<<
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

Agreed. More thinking and less shooting. That's why I plan to make something more different after tantrum. More like adventure style maps. :)
Askaris
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Askaris »

Provided it's not jumping puzzles, that's a good idea. If you could have HL2SP style physics puzzles, that would be good.
[GU]General Master
prop_static
prop_static

Post by [GU]General Master »

Yea we need more teamwork maps. Not in the way like Quest is though. I not like that kind of puzzle map much. There isin't any shooting at all there.

Whats with all the Star Trek Avatars.
Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

Kinda have to agree there. Running around and shooting stuff with 200 ping and 10 players is getting really old. I might have played too much sven coop , but seems like source doesnt like npcs in multiplayer. It's still pretty enjoyable on a 2 players server though.
[JSC][GU]PREDATOR
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by [JSC][GU]PREDATOR »

But coop IS shooting and winning, i hate it when people who have only just downloaded this mod they go to an umizuri server and think that the hole mod is just fishing and no coop well thats what the newbs say on quest too.
shadow-will
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by shadow-will »

but you see , puzzels on a coop game are hard to make. because if it requires more than 1 person (or 2) and the server hasnt got enough players , its pointless. ive had to think hard to make my map work with few players
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

Lol, my map works with 2 or more players. The thing is that you need to create workarounds for the coop puzzles which are possible to finish if you are alone, but the cooperative way should always be faster or at least more rewarding.
[GU]General Master
prop_static
prop_static

Post by [GU]General Master »

Well I think that you should have to do things like go in vents, turn valves, press buttons, kill enemies, and do things that actually require coop. All maps should be made so that you need at least 2 people. That is true Coop.

Whats with all the Star Trek Avatars.
shadow-will
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by shadow-will »

i havent even got the sdk working yet , ive been using hl2dm