Placing Hopwire Mines??

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
Dodgy
Vertex
Vertex

Placing Hopwire Mines??

Post by Dodgy »

Hey all, I really like this mod, and I want to contribute with a map. Only problem is, one of our puzzles requires the use of hopwire mines, which we discovered through the impulse commands in console. Our only problem, is we can't seem to figure out how to place them as items you can pick up when you choose your class after spawn. What is the entity name or how would we go about giving hopwires to players through mapping and not console?
Thanks a lot, hope to see you all around the forums,
-Dodgy
I make maps.
Chandler
npc_hunter
npc_hunter

Post by Chandler »

the point of the hopwire mines is for fun
there is not supposed to be any way to spawn them without using impulse 101. Also once people would load up the maps, the hopwires would disappear anyways so...yeah.
Dodgy
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Dodgy »

Damnit, we had a whole puzzle built out for the use of hopwires, using their vertical bounce features. Damn shame I didn't check it out before we started building it. So you're telling me there's no way to do it?
I make maps.
Hyperjag3
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Hyperjag3 »

I coded it in specifically to remove hopwires from compiled maps, as they cause lots of lag problems, etc. They should only be used in a cheating/fun environment.
Dodgy
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Dodgy »

Heheh, I thought that when I first experienced their badassery. I thought, damn, if a lamer ever got one of these into a spawn..

Oh well, time to improvise.
I make maps.
Chandler
npc_hunter
npc_hunter

Post by Chandler »

grav gun and nade
two people to get it up there at just the right moment
should work the same
Dodgy
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Dodgy »

Well what we had was the hopwire would hit the end of a vent, hop up and hit an angle, and ricochet into a room, the wires would shoot out, and npcs would be walking around doing work at computers, one would trip the wire, and boom the entire room would explode in a pretty cinematic effect. That's the basic way it was planned to work, and it does. We think we can still get a similar effect without hopwires though.
I make maps.
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

We dont have plans right now to get them fixed up and working well in MP but maybe later.
Right now they just didnt seem like a very imporant weapon, and they were pretty damn taxing on the server.
Dodgy
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Dodgy »

Yeah, I agree with you on that, they aren't very useful, and the number of explosions they put out on one trip is pretty heavy for servers. We just wanted to use it because they aren't your average weapon, and would be interesting. Don't worry about it though, I think we found a solution.

Though, a hopwire grenade would be cool, one that just hops up and explodes.
I make maps.
Lark
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Lark »

a mini hopper mine is a good idea!
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

I just thought of the nade from TF, the one that hops up and shoots bullets.
I would like a nade that hops up and fires out crossbow bolts. :lol:
Sonic
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Sonic »

you just want a way to kill people with amusing possibilities, not saying its a bad thing, espically to watch a nade bounce in front of a combine then explode into thousands of crossbolts spearing every combine and opposing enemy within 10m!

hahaha
Image>>>>>Image<<<<<
Dodgy
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Dodgy »

Sonic wrote:you just want a way to kill people with amusing possibilities, not saying its a bad thing, espically to watch a nade bounce in front of a combine then explode into thousands of crossbolts spearing every combine and opposing enemy within 10m!

hahaha
of course we do! Haha I think the thousands of crossbow bolts might be a little more taxing on a server than the current hopwires though.
I make maps.