All the HL1 npcs ai question.

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

All the HL1 npcs ai question.

Post by Svanrog »

Is it possible to make the HL1 npcs assault ( using ai_goal_assault )?
Can you do the same thing with manhacks?
How different is the ai between different enemies, considering both gargantuas, combines, manhacks and creatures like vortigaunts and antlions?

Well, might sound like stupid questions, but I want to know every enemy's limitations to be able to plan the gameplay in my map.
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

Im not sure.. I was going to take a look at this.
NPCs other than human talkers like alyx, combine or even the vort are derived from several talker classes and flex classes etc. Basically what that means is in code they have several chunks of information that give them the ability to do things others cant. Applying this to other npcs may not work.
I dont think scripted_sequences work for all monster npcs currently. But maybe im wrong :oops:
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

Seems like you need to take a look at it and then release a list of all the npcs and their ai abilities ( for example if they are compatible with aiscripted_schedule, ai_goal_assault ( and other ai_goal_-entities ), and whatever there is. )

Is it for example posible to use an aiscripted_schedule on a manhackor a gargantua?
What happens if you set the target of a aiscripted_schedule to !Player in mp?
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

!Player in MP gets the players as a whole I believe. So every player qualifies. And if possible, can get the closest. Then again I didnt write that part of the code so Hyper can help you with that.
Hyperjag3
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Hyperjag3 »

!player will get the closest player to the entity that wants to find the player (so a scripted sequence will get the closest player to the npc actor, etc.).
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

Ok, that's great! :D
It's 100% distance-based, and it doesn't use PVS to determine the closest foe (player) to the npc. True?
Hyperjag3
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Hyperjag3 »

Yeah, it just finds the player the shortest distance away.