Thinking of making a map - need ideas for gameplay

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
DrHeadhumper
Polygon
Polygon

Thinking of making a map - need ideas for gameplay

Post by DrHeadhumper »

I have been thinking of making a map that would fall under the "money farming" genre (oc_harvest, oc_diving, oc_paysan... any map where you do things to get money, buy stuff, and get more money from that). I am leaning towards harvest and paysan style gameplay where later on you can process things to earn more points. I was also thinking of making it on an island of some sort, however, that's where my ideas end. I will need some ideas from others, here is a list of things I might need:
  • What size should the map be, in hammer units - I lack the skill and patience to make terrain by myself, so I will have to use Nem's terrain generator to create it. However, I do not know how big to make it. For all I know, 8192 by 8192 might make it borderline impossible to do some things.
  • A way of having 'safe zones' - Should I do the same day/night cycle that everyone else does, or is that getting old by now?
  • Some things to do/materials to get/things to do with them - So far the maps that I have to look at to 'see how it is done' have essentially the same stuff to get in them. I want my map to have a little diversity, though.
I might need other ideas later, so check this post occasionally, but it's likely that I will make a new post instead.
Vartex
Vertex
Vertex

Re: Thinking of making a map - need ideas for gameplay

Post by Vartex »

DrHeadhumper wrote:I have been thinking of making a map that would fall under the "money farming" genre (oc_harvest, oc_diving, oc_paysan... any map where you do things to get money, buy stuff, and get more money from that). I am leaning towards harvest and paysan style gameplay where later on you can process things to earn more points. I was also thinking of making it on an island of some sort, however, that's where my ideas end. I will need some ideas from others, here is a list of things I might need:
  • What size should the map be, in hammer units - I lack the skill and patience to make terrain by myself, so I will have to use Nem's terrain generator to create it. However, I do not know how big to make it. For all I know, 8192 by 8192 might make it borderline impossible to do some things.
  • A way of having 'safe zones' - Should I do the same day/night cycle that everyone else does, or is that getting old by now?
  • Some things to do/materials to get/things to do with them - So far the maps that I have to look at to 'see how it is done' have essentially the same stuff to get in them. I want my map to have a little diversity, though.
I might need other ideas later, so check this post occasionally, but it's likely that I will make a new post instead.
I have no idea about the map, but instead of having day/night cycle everyone does, you should try doing that, except instead of having the auto kill. Monsters come out and try to kill you, and in 30 seconds its day again :? It should be a survival type map, during night there is head crabs you kill to get meat, you can sell it to a "Mysterious Vendor" or cook it. That's me out of ideas :\
Andrax17
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Andrax17 »

harvest type of map is not something you should do when you are inexperienced (assuming that you are inexperienced), they require lots of entity work.
the map shouldnt be enormously large because of the entity limits.

@vartex, the thing about that is that it would require even more entities than a normal "harvest" map, which is most probably way too much.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Vartex wrote: I have no idea about the map, but instead of having day/night cycle everyone does, you should try doing that, except instead of having the auto kill. Monsters come out and try to kill you, and in 30 seconds its day again :? It should be a survival type map, during night there is head crabs you kill to get meat, you can sell it to a "Mysterious Vendor" or cook it. That's me out of ideas :\

I am currently working on a map in my "bored time" that's similar. Zombie Survival, though I'm thinking of making it "Survival" as I want more then zombies(gets old after a while). Currently, my idea is a day night system that skips dawn and dust(nap time), maybe ten minutes during day/night each. You hunt for supplies during the day(though you could during the night but then your get kill by overwhelming number of zombies). There is different types of resource management(Power/Gas, food, health, ammo, weapons, time and money). I will use money so people can buy any resource, or you could work for it. The power system is explained in my Zombie Survival topic, though most of the stuff in that topic are out the window.

I might really finish this one, more inspiration due to the chance that I will actually be able to play OC soon.