Porting maps

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
Sabre
prop_static
prop_static

Porting maps

Post by Sabre »

Long story short, I got to thinking of making a map, again. This time, my goal was to do a rough recreation of Resident Evil 1 with some slight random elements to keep it fresh. At first, I wanted to do it in Half Life 2, followed by a port to OC. A friend said it would make more sense to make it a Left 4 Dead 2 map.

He has a point, but that would mean no Single Player or OC version. Plus I am unsure what textures L4D has, whereas HL2 has most of what I need.

So, I was wondering, how much can be ported over from one game to another?

I'm talking purely technical. I understand that some drastic changes would have to be made regarding spawning, weapons, ammo placement, enemy numbers ect. but if I make the BSP and the puzzles, would those port between versions? Node graphs? ect.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Re: Porting maps

Post by MaestraFénix »

Sabre wrote:Long story short, I got to thinking of making a map, again. This time, my goal was to do a rough recreation of Resident Evil 1 with some slight random elements to keep it fresh. At first, I wanted to do it in Half Life 2, followed by a port to OC. A friend said it would make more sense to make it a Left 4 Dead 2 map.

He has a point, but that would mean no Single Player or OC version. Plus I am unsure what textures L4D has, whereas HL2 has most of what I need.

So, I was wondering, how much can be ported over from one game to another?

I'm talking purely technical. I understand that some drastic changes would have to be made regarding spawning, weapons, ammo placement, enemy numbers ect. but if I make the BSP and the puzzles, would those port between versions? Node graphs? ect.

Hmm, L4D/L4D2 has updated textures and models (but different), as well as new entities. I think that the node graphs are different.

Apart of that, as long as you have in vmf format, you will be able to port it.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos