oc_longways

Release your amazing Map creations here!
cementiet
prop_physics
prop_physics

oc_longways

Post by cementiet »

Here is the map i promist to make
its the 3th map for obsidian conflict i created.

Story: You managed to steal a combine plasma battery from their factory close to the citadel, you need to bring this battery to your rebel base because this could supply it with energy for years. but the combine want it back so you run into trouble.

some pictures:

(yes i know the rocket is flying under my bro)

Inside the map wil be: Zombies , Combine's , Gunships , Upgraded jeep and other things.

Map by: Cementiet
Its the first time i used combine gunships, they worked out quite good. (yes they follow a path)

Again, feel free to ad to a map pack

Enjoy.

PLEASE FEEDBACK ^^
dint realy get much info about my other maps.

Download link: http://www.filefront.com/15038009/oc_longways.rar/
So many idea's, So less time
DA: http://cementiet.deviantart.com/
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Whats up with that one building laying weirdly on its side in both screens?
destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by destiny »

maybey they fell over?
anime watcher and manga reader and doesnt care what others think of it.
Image Image
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I think it's just taking a peak at what's on the other side of the wall. I think its a bot.

As for feedback, I'm sort of testing your maps taking pictures of errors, I just havent found the time to post it up for you to read.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

destiny wrote:maybey they fell over?
:/ It wouldn't have survived like that then though, its looks completely untouched. It should look much more damaged, the part leaning over the street for example could have been broken apart from the rest of the building and falling down on the street below it, creating another pile of debris.
cementiet
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by cementiet »

W0rf0x wrote:
destiny wrote:maybey they fell over?
:/ It wouldn't have survived like that then though, its looks completely untouched. It should look much more damaged, the part leaning over the street for example could have been broken apart from the rest of the building and falling down on the street below it, creating another pile of debris.
ok i must agree with that, but alrdy had quite some problems with it i wil update it later i think. and no its not a robot lol..
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Some feedback:

oc_longways

add a func_clip_vphysics brush to first combine barrier as the blue barrel can be accidentally dropped over the top.

Consider using waypoints or just use lighting sprites or whatever imagination to highlight where some of the objectives are.

After I killed the gunships, I had to noclip past the barrier where cameras areas I couldn't figure it out.
(The way you move to each section of the map is a bit of a mystery).

Change the toppled building hanging over wall. Get rid of the random pieces of wooden barriers at spawn and a model of some sort for cover.

Map seems very tough with respawning enemies consider making it easier and adding lives or something. Add a modify_txt with spawn items, weapons at spawn is very hl2dm like.

oc_inlight

This map just needs a lighting and texture overhaul, A small puzzle map like this needs to look better for the player to want to hang around and finish the map.

Also the room with the moving walls is badly built there's a gap where I can see back into the kitchen.

oc_systems2

Again this map is a bit confusing concering objectives and where they are.
Lighting issues in the spawn room are a bit of a put off, some of the walls you can see the texture unless you use a flash light, it shouldnt be this way.

Some scrren shots of what I mean.

Now some advice tips.

Bear in mind everybodies map could be improved in one way or another and I don't think your really taking the time to look at your own work and think how can this be improved. I really think you need to spend more time on each project and make the effort to fix and make changes, strive to improve more.

I think you need to focus on just about all aspects of making a map.

Architecture
lighting
ambience
texturing (more realsim) and watch how you scale some of your textures sometime high scale texture next to a low scale texture can look awful.
gameplay
orientation
features Use more of obsidian's feature to give your map the right feel for coop. (stuff like a map_briefing.txt, using spawn items, using info_waypoints, taking advantage of modify_txt's add spawn items) Just make your maps less hl2dm.

I think you can learn alot from playing your maps and some of the official oc maps and see how the above features from oc can be used in your maps.

I wouldn't be saying all of this if your maps were just fun maps that had a focus on gameplay over graphics.

But I think you spent some time and enjoy making your maps look good, but they all feel a little half finished.

So far I've only got frustrated and noclipped though most of the maps.
(Though I was quick testing). I think you'd get more interest in the map both play time and feedback from players if the maps were of a higher quality.

Your halfway there, I'm pleased you make maps for oc and though my feedback isn't very positive, you have some nice ideas, your mapping skills aren't the worst. Just try to really polish your work so it shines and stands out from the rest.

I'm no expert I'm not 100% happy with any of the work I've done, though most of my work I've attempted to improve. None of them are as perfect as I like.

I know its easy to jump from one thing to the other, but try to push out maps that are much more finished.

lastly I feel that your maps are two small or short.

You have the potential, its up to you to do better. I wish you luck.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
cementiet
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by cementiet »

Thanks allot for the feedback im realy happy with it (even if its -)

now i least know were to focus on. as for the testing i always play the map out if its finished to be sure it works and if glithches are removed, gues i look somtimes to fast.

oc_longways:

''After I killed the gunships, I had to noclip past the barrier where cameras areas I couldn't figure it out.''

im not realy sure wat you mean at the big platform there are RPG's for shooting the gunship when you shot them all a platform comes from underwater and you can drive further with your jeep into the canal system?

func_clip_vphysics, thanks for the reminder i did forget to add this (yes that is because i look over the map to fast, was more afraid of the jeep getting stuck)

toughness wil not be changed tho.. and when your with more players it wil make it way more easy.

i wil update that looking over the wall builidng and make a more realistic barrier and check for further improvmends.

as for the playing time 40 min is quite long for a map? (least me and my brother thinks (hes 29 i'm 16) but i wil try to improve it if more players react on it.

oc_inlight

not realy sure with the texture remake, wil have a look at it. But i tought it was quite ok.

as for the gab i wil fix it and check if i can add more detail to the map.

oc_systems2

The objective killing cpu chips. ok its not super clear seemed while i added a light effect above it, and text. gues i need a huge red arrow pointing at it (ok joking...)

wil try to improve it afhter i fixed the other 2 maps and adding a oc_systems2-1 (inside the combine factory)

Again thank you very much for the feedback now i know were to work on. and were i need to improve myzelf.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I wanted to show you this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkJN2isC ... r_embedded

Obviously the guy is very talented, but when I saw it, it reminded me just how much my own maps changes during development (probably not as much as in the video, but I'm often re-texturing). And well that was only a back ground map for a mod, imagine the work that goes into a full map.

And all modding is this way, you'll go through many iterations before a final product.

Here is the developmnent of a weapon for Black mesa, it also changes a lot before the maker is satisfied.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqXmXzLfdZ0

You can get an idea from both video's the time and effort inputed to get fantastic reults.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
cementiet
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by cementiet »

those 2 vids were very interesing, thanks for showing them. i realy noticed i wanted to make my maps to fast, but i wil improve them so the qlty wil be better and that its more clear wat to do.

you are sure helping me much, i appreciate it allot.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Worked with Generalvivi when I made some props for the nmrih mod for him. He is quite talented and even landed a job at Gearbox based on his portfolio of source maps.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

ohh did not know :o

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
cementiet
prop_physics
prop_physics

Re: oc_longways

Post by cementiet »

Update released.

Changes

:arrow: Changed to live mode.
:arrow: Map size 30-40% increased.
:arrow: Limited ammo.
:arrow: Higly improved framerate compared to old version.
:arrow: More detail.
:arrow: Added some tracks (3 hidden).
:arrow: Added some custom textures.
:arrow: More types of npc's to shoot.
:arrow: hidden ammo and weapons.
:arrow: added minor ''puzzle''

Map is now harder, you only can die once. ammo is very limited.

Map is made for a small group of +- 4 people.

Download link http://sta.sh/014b1ds9q2kv
uchiha
Donator
Donator

Post by uchiha »

To think that the first ver. had made 8 long years ago....... Time surely flies fast...
mrscorp
Vertex
Vertex

Post by mrscorp »

Did the testing today.
Found a few minuses.

1. The weapon will spawn only once. I had to create a modification and prescribe weapons in the spawn.
2. lacks teleport, strains to run the entire card from the beginning to the end at death.
3. Collision of players leads to sticking together at the teleport. Teleport has to be disabled in the config
Really strains in the dungeon, there are no clues how to open the door and crawling zombies are killed, you have to run again through the whole map.
4. The huge gate opening reveals a lot of life if you stand next to the gate