Post here your problems/questions with hammer. Post & Reply

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Re: Post here your problems/questions with hammer. Post & Re

Post by MaestraFénix »

Silence. I gonna try again telling for what I'm using it.

I have a room on Nerv that is full of weapons and ammo. If a explosion happens, the FPS drops a lot because all the objects move, so I want them to be static.

In case you have a better idea, I'm listening.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Today I had an idea: Make a Resident Evil gameplay style.

When I tested on local it worked (the cameras were individually enabled/disabled, a bot on the other side wouldn't interfere with your actual camera), but I had a doubt with an issue that had the players with the npcs. Then I just tested it online with a friend, and I got the following results:

point_viewcontrol only works once with only one enabled camera for the second player, as well as for rest of the players. The first player is fine and can switch between cameras.

When a player is under a point_viewcontrol, is like it has notarget and godmode, npcs ignore it and doesn't damage it (but for unknown reasons, it doesn't happen with bots, the npcs targets and kills them).

As a curiosity, player based options like the controls or the hud are overrided by the server, both local and online (for example, putting m_yaw 0 on the cfg of your map will have zero effect in game, since it will appear on red at the console that the server has put it to the default value).

Ignoring the problems with the control, I wanted to know if there is a way to outcome the problems of using point_viewcontrol, or if I will have to suggest a flag to disable/enable god/notarget on the entity.

If you are curious, grab the map: http://www.mediafire.com/?b321h75eyraaz5r

I only wanted to have a new map with a new gameplay...

Umbrae
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Umbrae »

I seem to be having this weird problem where cs is mounted, but none of my cs weapons have textures or sounds. Everything was working fine, until Steam force updated to "a more efficient format". I'm not sure if that was the cause of this problem, because I hadn't played the game in a while, until that happened. However if anyone knows how to fix this problem, that would be great.

Thanks. :)
~Umbrae~
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Yes, it's a SteamPipe issue. Sadly, their bugs changes depending of the person (for example for me it doesn't load a part of the HL:S sounds, even if HL:S didn't updated to SteamPipe), so there's not current fix now.

Neico already fixed most of those bugs, but for the next version.

Umbrae
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Umbrae »

If I were to completely reinstall OC would that do anything?
~Umbrae~
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Umbrae wrote:If I were to completely reinstall OC would that do anything?
Nothing.

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

So, meanwhile I was doing more tests, I found an OC command that brought my attention:

sv_allowocmapvote

Is disabled by default, but I don't know how to use it when I enable it (there's not info of this). This could be an internal option to vote a map, so we wouldn't need external plugins?

*Yes, I know that this question is not a map-related one*

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Maestro Fénix wrote:When a player is under a point_viewcontrol, is like it has notarget and godmode, npcs ignore it and doesn't damage it (but for unknown reasons, it doesn't happen with bots, the npcs targets and kills them).
I was working on the Mod History page of the Map Database when I saw that this is a bug and it has been fixed on the hotfix (although this is strange because on the SVN version it continues having this bug).

This has been asked to the death, but, the additions and changes that brings the hotfix, are safe for the mappers? (I recall reading something from Tesla that maybe there could be problems with 1.35 and 0.1.3.5 players).

TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

Maestro Fénix wrote:I was working on the Mod History page of the Map Database when I saw that this is a bug and it has been fixed on the hotfix (although this is strange because on the SVN version it continues having this bug).
Odd, that shouldn't be the case since fixes are backported from the SVN to the hotfix, rather than the other way around.
Maestro Fénix wrote:This has been asked to the death, but, the additions and changes that brings the hotfix, are safe for the mappers? (I recall reading something from Tesla that maybe there could be problems with 1.35 and 0.1.3.5 players).
Of course they are, otherwise there wouldn't be a point in releasing a hotfix - changes of such scale would be considered to be major, formal releases. All mappers should be concerned with are whether the server is running the hotfix. Entity changes and additions in the hotfix have their descriptions suffixed with the (Hotfix 3+) tag in the FGDs, but to get those updated FGDs mappers will first need to update their own client to the hotfix (since it's bundled in the package). Since no client binaries are changed by the client update, all clients will be able to connect to any and all 1.35 and 0.1.3.5 (hotfix) servers, regardless of whether they (the clients) have the hotfix installed.
The only obstacle would be testing the map, in which case mappers should test their maps on a dedicated server running the hotfix. Yes, it's inconvenient, but ideally maps should be tested this way since that's precisely how maps will be run 99% of the time after being released. Listen servers aren't perfect for testing, and may have their own quirks.

Long story short, there's no need for the mapper to worry about whether or not clients are running the hotfix. And I see no reason why clients shouldn't proactively update to the hotfix either, since there are no binary changes.
Apparently, Valve can't make games beyond the number 2.
I think the only time we'll get a Source SDK code update is when it starts having purchasable hats integrated, i.e. hatconomy.

Please do not make assumptions you are not knowledgeable enough to make - that just backfires on yourself.
Tick me off, and I'll be sure to give you the golden treatment. Haven't you heard? Silence is golden.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Maestro Fénix wrote:So, meanwhile I was doing more tests, I found an OC command that brought my attention:

sv_allowocmapvote

Is disabled by default, but I don't know how to use it when I enable it (there's not info of this). This could be an internal option to vote a map, so we wouldn't need external plugins?

*Yes, I know that this question is not a map-related one*

http://obsidianconflict.net/forums/view ... ?f=2&t=726
Simple vote command for changing the level. Good if the map is stuck, etc... Vote is determined by a percentage console command.
Considering that this comes from OC 1.2, that it was released on 2006, is something normal that it not longer works.

This command, along with many other ones, will appear on a OC CVAR list, so the team coders can do the futher examinations and fixes.

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Maestro Fénix wrote:When a player is under a point_viewcontrol, is like it has notarget and godmode, npcs ignore it and doesn't damage it (but for unknown reasons, it doesn't happen with bots, the npcs targets and kills them).

Ignoring the problems with the control, I wanted to know if there is a way to outcome the problems of using point_viewcontrol, or if I will have to suggest a flag to disable/enable god/notarget on the entity.
I'm going to tell what happened: You can "disable god and notarget" with checking the flags that ONLY APPEARS at the hotfix. Of course, if you don't enable it, the players will be invulnerable and ignored by the npcs.

Sadly, as the new information of the entity states, it only works for one player when is enabled, since during the time the camera gets enabled for only one player, the rest will be continue on first person.

Of course, there are some light problems to solve, that are the weapon aim (can be fixed with having w_model weapons with fake lasersights, since I got working a prototype on the Metal Slug map), and the muzzleflashes and bullet cases of the viewmodel appearing on thirdperson (an invisible v_model could fix this quickly).

Well, maybe on a future this idea can be made...

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Alright, it seems that is imposible for me to stop making posts here. Once again, I need your help:

Lives mode.

The deal is simple: trigger stuff when all the players die. Why? Because when all the players spent all their lives, the game will automatically end.

My idea was disabling the lives mode through a command just before this trigger the end, so I could trigger stuff.

How I could do it? Because the main problem would be differentiate a normal death from the death of someone that doesn't have more lives.

Think that the Nacht Der Untoten and Nerv (Hard mode) maps depends of the answers of this question. And yes, I remember that with the Server Hotfix-4 will we get an Output for this, but until then...

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

I found a workaround about this problem with the lives mode for Nacht Der Untoten, but the actual situation looks pretty grim for Nerv D:

Someone knows how to get working prop_scalable? I followed the VDC page, as well as an tutorial about the prop_combinecore (that it works similar if not the same) and decompiled ep2_outland_01 to see how it works, but it doesn't change the size of the selected model.

I think that is broken.

MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

I have a weird problem with an ambient_generic.

In order to save on entities at the Nerv map (yes, it hits the maximum that can handle the engine at the same time), I tested an ambient_generic which it can be set to play different sound files using the addoutput output.

And "it works".

But I found an strange bug: If I indicate a soundfile that isn't already used on another ambient_generic, it gives the following output at the console:

"EmitAmbientSound: sound note precached: pathofthefile/file.wav"

And it doesn't play the file, even if I fire the entity to play again.

This is an example about how I use it:

I have been looking on Internet, and it doesn´t looks like someone tried this before. I don't see nothing on Developer 2 neither (the ents are fired normally).

If it precaches the file, isn't should play it after? Is not like it wasn't loaded before.

Umbrae
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Umbrae »

Right now I'm trying to figure out a good light color for interior lighting. I want to give the light color an old or dirty look, like a tint. Does anyone have any ideas how to achieve this?
~Umbrae~