Feedback, questions & appreciation...

Obsidian General.
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

shiftey wrote:IMO the best system for lives would be to make it not restart the map when all players have zero lives by default. There should be an output on the game_lives_manager entity such as "OnAllPlayersLivesZero" that lets the mapper fire any command they choose, which may include a game_end.

I don't see this being very hard in concept, and it would solve a giant problem that lives mode currently has.

You could say that this may frak up past maps, in which case my answer would be to mapadd all maps that are affected by this.
I was thinking about something like that a while ago, pretty sure we will have that at some point.
Tallfire
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Tallfire »

If you can't find a way to make the lives work, maybe you could have a system similar to L4D with the closets, you would be frozen in place behind a door or in some secure area (though it might be hard to find one) and when a player opened it or did something you could move and if all team mates are dead then maybe you start up back at spawn with little hp and weak guns or something. It would be annoying with tks but tks would be annoying with a lives system too if you were to keep friendly fire on (personally I like it but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.)
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Tallfire wrote:If you can't find a way to make the lives work, maybe you could have a system similar to L4D with the closets, you would be frozen in place behind a door or in some secure area (though it might be hard to find one) and when a player opened it or did something you could move and if all team mates are dead then maybe you start up back at spawn with little hp and weak guns or something. It would be annoying with tks but tks would be annoying with a lives system too if you were to keep friendly fire on (personally I like it but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.)
No. This can be done in hammer and would not work universally anyhow. Not to be a dick or anything...but if you're going to make suggestions please learn either how to code or use hammer so you understand what you're talking about.
bigbusey
Vertex
Vertex

Post by bigbusey »

Thanks for all the help with the lives mode issues. I hope we can get it worked out as I think it is a really awesome concept to give "meaning to each live" as vet said.

We have a lot of ideas for the hl2 campaign and hopefully none of them will be too blasphemous, but I don't think players will be confused by the changes we make.

It will kind of be like me when I tried this mod for the first time...
I had no clue what the mod was other than co-op, but I found it was familiar enough that I understood what was going on, yet had enough uniqueness to keep me hooked.

I think that is pretty much what we are aiming for ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~
SMOD OUTBREAK
veteran_gamer
Polygon
Polygon

Post by veteran_gamer »

i'd say a lives system is the cherry on top to what we've been building on the server, it'll make things extremely intense

i'll tell you what, the mapadd system is pretty damn powerful, i was experimenting with it until all hours of the night, the npc makers support incredibly useful flags, and not to mention ai_relationship seems to have really "improved ai aggressiveness" when set to hate

ive found the enemy npcs are much more responsive to the player and player activity, the more i mess with the mod, the more i'm loving it

i also believe after basic edits to the entire campaign are done, i can finally work on a zombie2 npc (citizen npc hack) from smod can be easily and realistically implemented, thanks to the ai_goal_relationship support, runner zombies that deal nasty damage, it'll be cool when the time comes

much work to do :]
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Zombies sound great!
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Tallfire
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Tallfire »

shiftey wrote: No. This can be done in hammer and would not work universally anyhow. Not to be a dick or anything...but if you're going to make suggestions please learn either how to code or use hammer so you understand what you're talking about.
So your saying its possible but not possible? Thats why I brought it up in case the other things were impossible.
A simpler solution: place one of your blockers in front of a door or something that people could spawn in.