Server hosting help.

Obsidian General.
Beachbum790
Pixel

Server hosting help.

Post by Beachbum790 »

Hello, for the last few hours (10+) I have been trying to host a server. I have my ports forwarded (27005-27020) and, when I open my server, I type sv_lan than, heartbeat than, changelevel oc_harvest. And, yet, my server still shows up under the Lan subsection instead of the Internet subsection. I need feedback because I need to host. I have been asking around, and, people have been telling me to do the things that I just said above, and, to no appeal, nothing works. Please, help me.

Signed--Beachbum790
Hyperjag3
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Hyperjag3 »

A local server will always show up in the LAN section (meaning if it's just you looking, you'll see it in LAN). Have you asked others if they can see it in the internet tab? Also, you said you type sv_lan, but you are setting it to 0 right, not just typing "sv_lan" and hitting enter? It sounds like you're doing everything else right.
Beachbum790
Pixel

Post by Beachbum790 »

Yes, I type Sv_lan 0. And, People say that its not there.
fLaMePrO
Vertex
Vertex

Post by fLaMePrO »

Hey.

First of all, I just want to say thanks for the great mod! It's awesome and a lot of fun, especially since I got my own server working by looking here :P

I just started a game, typed in "sv_lan 0", then "heartbeat; changelevel <mapname>", and then my friends can join.

I forwarded the ports mentioned as well.

The only issue I have is this: whenever a number of enemies spawn, or something is happening in the map, all the other people connected to the server (except me) start to get really high pings, and complain of lag. I've seen their ping go as high as 900, so what's with that?

Any way to fix it? I can imagine it'd be very frustrating for them and would ruin the experience, but I can't understand why it'd do that.
fragged131
npc_metropolice
npc_metropolice

Post by fragged131 »

My friends have been having trouble with this too, they said it used to happen in TF2 a while back.
fLaMePrO
Vertex
Vertex

Post by fLaMePrO »

fLaMePrO wrote:The only issue I have is this: whenever a number of enemies spawn, or something is happening in the map, all the other people connected to the server (except me) start to get really high pings, and complain of lag. I've seen their ping go as high as 900, so what's with that?

Any way to fix it? I can imagine it'd be very frustrating for them and would ruin the experience, but I can't understand why it'd do that.
Any help for this please? Has it got anything to do with the way I'm setting up the server? My internet connection? (1.5mbit/s btw..fail Australian internet)

Not sure why because I've hosted servers before for other games, never had a problem like this.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

use the search function -.-
fLaMePrO
Vertex
Vertex

Post by fLaMePrO »

You know what would be good? If you actually made an attempt to help me.

Yes, I am aware there is a search function. Yes, I tried making a few searches, and found nothing to help with my issue.

If there is another thread explaining the fix to this, perhaps link me to it?

I'm sorry, but telling me to search does not help anyone >_>
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

it does very much, you just need to be able to use it, which should be required when you want to administrate a server...

i'll give you a hint:

look at the Bug Report Section and in Generall too, just look tough some of the newest threads
fLaMePrO
Vertex
Vertex

Post by fLaMePrO »

Wait a second..did you read what I originally posted properly?

I've got no problem setting up the server, it's just that everyone suddenly goes from like 50 ping up to like 900 when things start to happen on the map (i.e. enemies spawning).

Anything to do with heartbeat? I didn't use it last time and I don't think pings were so bad..but it was only oc_harvest so not sure.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

go to search and search for "Many Packets" the frist 3 results are that what you want -.-
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Whats your upload speed?
fLaMePrO
Vertex
Vertex

Post by fLaMePrO »

Neico wrote:go to search and search for "Many Packets" the frist 3 results are that what you want -.-
Thankyou! That's all I ask for..considering I would never think to search for something like that, it's kinda pointless..

Next step would be to simply link me to that thread, because honestly, I would not have found that very easily.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

if you look tough those threads you will see many searchable subjects that match your problem... just like "High Ping" should result those threads too