Content rebuilding?

Obsidian General.
Alpha3

Content rebuilding?

Post by Alpha3 »

I have noticed, that a few maps, which are included into the official OC package use content from other games (mainly CS:S).

I know it would be a good piece of work, but wouldn't it make sense to rebuild some CS:S props and textures, which are not provided by the Source SDK Base, so that you don't have to buy/install any special games to be able to play the official maps?
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

Most CSS props are included.

Skidz!!! We need your help!!!
Alpha3

Post by Alpha3 »

But will other content follow?
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I honestly think its not worth getting your hopes up.
Content rebuilding is just a work load that these devs dont have the time for.

The hard line is:

cs:s = $10 -20
hl:s = $10
dod:s = $10

^approx

I'd rather they focused on modding what can't be bought from Valve. The fact we have the luxury of using some stuff/content is considered to me as a privelage.

I know it can be a bit annoying if players choose to play something you may not have the content for (will be helped by server tags more in the future when browsing), but its the way the cookie crumbles, most of us are here for all the extra stuff. There are (gulp) more retail friendly alternatives on the net.

Dont mean to sound too harsh.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

What you're suggesting is not only a waste of time, but a waste of space on my hard drive. Its bad enough having 4 gb of duplicate content between 4 source games, having 8 gb more for a mod is just silly.

I don't condone illegally obtaining content for good games. So I would say just spend the money on all valve games.

However if you're thinking about playing lets say...call of duty: world at war, just get it for free. They don't deserve the money for that cheap ripoff of cod4.
VX66-B2

Post by VX66-B2 »

But I have to agree that official maps, which are bundled with the OC installer should not require any special games.
Hydra
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Hydra »

Is it really that hard to sacrifice some money and space? Don't like it, then don't play it.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Amen
VX66-B2

Post by VX66-B2 »

Hydra wrote:Is it really that hard to sacrifice some money and space? Don't like it, then don't play it.
It's simply stupid in my eyes to buy/install any games that I don't wanna play, just to have the content for maps of another game.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

I just spent 8 hours rebuilding player gibs. No way in hell anybody would wanna do the 100+ props that appear in the official obsidian conflict maps.

Also, Obsidian Conflict is a mod for HL2 Co-op, the player made maps aren't the main feature of OC so therefore your logic is irrational.
-=Grunt=-
Polygon
Polygon

Post by -=Grunt=- »

I think Steam preloads the games. Because when I mounted DoD:S and CS:S (I didn't have them), Steam preloaded them for me and I can see CS:S models, props and hear sounds, same for DoD:S stuff.

Although the CS:S maps take a lot of time to load when it's preloaded. Most of the time you will get the Timed Out message.

The only Source game that I bought is Orange Box. (Retail)