Map Reviews and Weapon Execs?

Obsidian General.
Sabre
prop_static
prop_static

Map Reviews and Weapon Execs?

Post by Sabre »

Been ages since my last post, anyway, me and a friend have been playing through the mod, trying various maps and the like. Mainly for my own purposes, but I also planned to post to my blog, very short reviews of each map in the hopes to seperate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. However, with 1.35 coming out that seems pointless.

One thing that isn't pointless is starting weapons, or the lack of. Many maps are stingy with weapons, esp maps where weapons are unavailable after death. If there a command to shorten the time between weapon respawns? A one to force respawns on maps that don't?

Also, I'm thinking making an exec for OC. It's been a while, but I used to make and edit ones for Smod all the time as well as for mods that rest stuff every boot. My plan is to make a commond to give players the healer, pistol, SMG and Shottie all with ammo (no smg nades tho) without using Impulse 101 whenever maps get stingy with weapons.

I will need to look up the commands, but it shouldn't take long. I'll check out the wiki for those. While I'm at it, any requests for certain lesser cheats?
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Concerning weapons, you have to take into consideration (and especially on lives maps) perhaps the mapper didn't intend for the map to be easy or competed on the first few run throughs.

I know being in spectator can be a little boring but the majority of well made lives maps add checkpoints allowing players with no lives a chance to respawn back into the game.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

I like your idea for reviewing maps. I tried that once but you really need to get a good rating system planned out before you review.

I really wish there were a way in game to rate a map based on a set of categories that you get access to after you complete a map. Categories like fun rating, graphics, performance, etc.
Tysn
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Tysn »

By maps with stingy amounts of weapons I assume your talking about my maps. :lol: oc_courier, oc_manor, oc_fireteam, and oc_stitches have been updated in 1.35 to include starting weapons and more weapons and ammo throughout the level.
Sabre
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Sabre »

[quote="Tysn"]By maps with stingy amounts of weapons I assume your talking about my maps. :lol: oc_courier, oc_manor, oc_fireteam, and oc_stitches have been updated in 1.35 to include starting weapons and more weapons and ammo throughout the level.[/quote]

Courior was one such map. I'll mention that later. :)

I should have explained that there's only 2, rarely 3 of use, and there is a difference between "Not easy" and "Bloody impossable." I know sven adds power to weapons when there are low numbers of players to counter act this, but Im not sure if OC does it.

Anyway. A perfect example of what I'm talking about was Breakout (Some prison escape map) where we were armed with shotties and pistols. We entered a maze and got taken down by some assasins. Fair enough. Problem, we were buggered. With only crowbars a few assassins headed our way there was nothing we could do, my friend impulsed 101ed to save himself. Not that mattered as after that was some spinning lazer beams that we wasted all of our lives trying to jump through because we couldn't find any way to shut it off.

In courier, we ran out of ammo and had to crowbar our way forward using the medkits we bought, my friend died, losing his gear. We used givepoints so he acctually had stuff.

I'm used to stingy ammo, Im a horror fan and have finished that resident evil map in sven co-op. Sometimes is super tough enemies, or other times the enemies are fine but there isn't enough ammo.

@shiftey
I put a little thought into that. Instead of going into massive details and map types, (I dont like those harvest and fishing ones, but most people do) I think I would justify in the first paragraph what I look for in a map, and rate it by 3. 1 being almost unplayable due to bugs or quality, 2 for a map that is good, fine, whatever and 3 for deing a must play classic worth multiple plays.

An example of what I see as quality would be (using Sven coop examples)
1 would be for maps like secret city where you do a bunch of trial and error traps or maps that simply dont work. If it wasn't for 1.35 I'd give breakout a 1 because that map annoied the hell out of me. Nice theme that could work though.
3 would be something like the escape series, that resident evil map and that map where you fight demons in japan.

Once I/we've done the stock maps and the campaigns. I want to try the classic SP maps. Enthalpy, NOAMZ, Das Robots, Metastasis, stuff like that. (though Im not sure if Das Robos would work given you got between the same 3 maps for the entire game)
D.D.D. Destroyer
Vertex
Vertex

Post by D.D.D. Destroyer »

I say you just need to practice more. Breakout is awesome and hard.

You just need 2+ players and some patience.
Sabre
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Sabre »

[quote="D.D.D. Destroyer"]I say you just need to practice more. Breakout is awesome and hard.

You just need 2+ players and some patience.[/quote]

+2 player not going to happen unfortunatly. I have no issue with maps being hard. It's that, when someone dies, they are buggered as there are no weapons or ammo for them. Also, the goal of a puzzle in never obvious. You can't work out the solution without a goal or the rules.

None of that matters because 1.35 might change it, or make some game change that makes the map doable.

As I said, it's not a complete waste. The theme is nice and the combat is good when you have weapons.