Not many people play this game,so you should tell people

Obsidian General.
munchiepoo
Vertex
Vertex

Not many people play this game,so you should tell people

Post by munchiepoo »

Not many people play OC,and it's a shame I mean it's nice to have a few players but it's also nice to have quite a few,so tell your steam friends and tell them to tell there friends.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Re: Not many people play this game,so you should tell people

Post by MaestraFénix »

????

Is a mod, not a game, so expect that. Also, depending of the time (or maybe completely random), can be a lot of people playing or no one.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

joining the irc channel could help you see at which time the most people are online, for yesterday it looks like this (GMT+1):
IRC wrote: [ 00:00:02 ] [ &GabeN ] There are 20 Servers and 26 Players in Obsidian Conflict right now!
[ 04:00:02 ] [ &GabeN ] There are 19 Servers and 29 Players in Obsidian Conflict right now!
[ 06:00:02 ] [ &GabeN ] There are 19 Servers and 26 Players in Obsidian Conflict right now!
[ 08:00:03 ] [ &GabeN ] There are 21 Servers and 27 Players in Obsidian Conflict right now!
[ 22:00:03 ] [ &GabeN ] There are 19 Servers and 56 Players in Obsidian Conflict right now!
It should be noted that the bot is only able to post something if he get's a response from the HL2 Master server, so this might look a bit empty, but there are days where it reports the player and server count nearly every hour
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

I used to see about 8-24 people at one time when I do the refresh server thing with no restrictions. Can't really say now since I've haven't played too much, but it seemed like people were stopping to play little by little back then.
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

It's perfectly fine for a standalone mod.
Xaymar
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Xaymar »

I count like 15-30 people at peak play times on my servers alone. So I don't really know what you're talking about.
LevelNULL | XFire | GameSports | Steam | Twitter | [url=mailto://MichaelDirks@levelnull.de/]eMail[/url]
RocketRunner
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by RocketRunner »

Still, if we could drum up some more players, that would be nice.
I usually run from rockets.
Pretty straightforward.
Banshee
Pixel

Post by Banshee »

It's going to be on Steamworks some point in the future. That will get Obsidian more players. It's just a matter of when.
LivingWithGames
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by LivingWithGames »

RocketRunner wrote:Still, if we could drum up some more players, that would be nice.
If we make more servers,that my thought.Because with so many players in the mod,all the servers will be full.Believe me.
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

BiElGaMe wrote:
RocketRunner wrote:Still, if we could drum up some more players, that would be nice.
If we make more servers,that my thought.Because with so many players in the mod,all the servers will be full.Believe me.
Aaaaand if more players don't come to this mod? That's wasting money, wait until Steamworks, see if people like it, then make more servers.

Now, I'm not trying to be rude with this, but I should add that when you do get Steamworked, try to keep the anime advertizing to a minimum. I mean, have you seen how people react to it on "official" Steam releated websites like SPUF and Facepunch? People just don't like it, and the potential playerbase will go down. Like the screenshots and gameplay vidoes that you guys post up on Youtube, people will first think that the anime models will actually be an official feature of the mod, and won't download it. And before you say, "Well, those people are retards that should not judge a book by its cover," remember that we're talking about the internet, which has PEOPLE on it. And knowing people, I'd say about 75% of them just look at the screenshots, a summary, and a few videos and decide if they like it or not. I also know that about 75% of that 75% probably doesn't like anime. So, try to keep anime to a minimum on videos, screenshots, and some of the forum topics.

Granted it is just my take on it.
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
Banshee
Pixel

Post by Banshee »

That's not up to you. And you pulled the percentage of 75 out of your ass.
LivingWithGames
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

DisConnected wrote:
BiElGaMe wrote:
Aaaaand if more players don't come to this mod? That's wasting money, wait until Steamworks, see if people like it, then make more servers.

Now, I'm not trying to be rude with this, but I should add that when you do get Steamworked, try to keep the anime advertizing to a minimum. I mean, have you seen how people react to it on "official" Steam releated websites like SPUF and Facepunch? People just don't like it, and the potential playerbase will go down. Like the screenshots and gameplay vidoes that you guys post up on Youtube, people will first think that the anime models will actually be an official feature of the mod, and won't download it. And before you say, "Well, those people are retards that should not judge a book by its cover," remember that we're talking about the internet, which has PEOPLE on it. And knowing people, I'd say about 75% of them just look at the screenshots, a summary, and a few videos and decide if they like it or not. I also know that about 75% of that 75% probably doesn't like anime. So, try to keep anime to a minimum on videos, screenshots, and some of the forum topics.

Granted it is just my take on it.
:potd: You said practically everything here,that is just absolutely right.

Nothing more to say here,I think.
RocketRunner
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by RocketRunner »

As for advertising, I do plug it on the TV Tropes Forums when I can.
I usually run from rockets.
Pretty straightforward.
LivingWithGames
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Ah,forgot to say one thing here too,once we get his mod in Steamworks version,there will more people playing this mod,because of it being better than greenland.

I just hope it don't come retarded people(maybe also retarded and that played greenland).I can't stand with these kind types of people,kind of stressful.
Sabre
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Sabre »

As I said about Alien Swarm, this mod will never truely 'die'. Unlike say Battlefield or modern warfare, or mods like Neo Tokyo and Jailbreak, that require large numbers of players (8+) and have no bot support, even if 0 people are playings, I can get a couple of friends and hop into a game. Co-op tends to be played at LANs alot too. Again, 2 or 3 friends can log in at a LAN cafe and play. Having an easier install on steam will also help.

As for the anime stuff. I disagree. The saying goes "different strokes for different folks". I don't care for the dumbarse crap Gmod often shows. I think when you see videos where it's just stock and anime models it sells it short. Anime is much like furries in that it's easy to create drama using misinformation.

The trailers and screenshots thing is something I lean on for mods, that and word of mouth. If a trailer is just a low framerate fraps clips or something like that, it shows they don't really care enough. The best stuff either shows features or is well made, and I think the 1.35 trailer is pretty good.

Imo, the screens/trailers should be 1 of 2 things. Either very self serious with stock rebal models in campaign, or go all sven co-op and push the crazy up to 11. Darth Vader, anime girls and an army grunt fishing for ant lion gaurds.