Combine Super Soldier

Obsidian General.
Sabre
prop_static
prop_static

Combine Super Soldier

Post by Sabre »

I was browsing the internet when I came across the Combine Super Soldier article on HL2 wiki. I've seen a couple of dead mods use it in screens so I assumed it was something from raising the bar. According to the wiki the model files were/are in the SDK already.

I have seen plenty of mods re-do the Xen aliens from HL1. But never put in the Combine Super Soldier. I know this is a massive over simplification, but if pulling stuff from Half Life Source is possable, either wholesale or just used as a base, and the model already exsists, would it not be possable to re-make the Combine Super Soldier by rigging the model, giving it some animations and using the HL:S Alien Grunt AI as a base?

I've seen similar done before. Combine Assassins have appeared in a few mods for example, but as I said, huge over simplification. This kind of stuff isnt easy. Just wondering if it's something that might be worth looking into after the steam release is done?
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Re: Combine Super Soldier

Post by MaestraFénix »

The only mod that made the Combine Super Soldier was Sven Co-op 2. That model, like the rest of models and data, was destroyed due the cancelation of the mod (they said that is more easy GoldSrc to make maps, and they cant make a new mod without forgetting the other).

I want too that someone make it again, like the Combine Guard, but all the modelers that i know are busy, and i continue being a noob creating models.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

Wait I'm confused, are we talking about the Soldier with the oversized mask? Can someone post a picture of this specific soldier? :P
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Keychain wrote:Wait I'm confused, are we talking about the Soldier with the oversized mask? Can someone post a picture of this specific soldier? :P
Nope, that´s the custom model created by model hacks known as "7-hour war" Combine Soldier.

This is the Combine Super Soldier:

Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

I really love the way the Super Solider looks, I always wished someone would remake him. Sadly, the only time I've seen him is in the seven co-op 2 mod which isn't going to get released any time soon.

Really, hes not that complicated of a model. Though, I can't make him, my way of modeling is unoptimized and ugly. It does look like the Valve biped rig might fit him though(rigging would likely have to be done like hand).
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

Ah yes. That thing would make one hell of an interesting NPC. Seems like it would make a very good 'charger' type of NPC.
RocketRunner
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by RocketRunner »

I dunno, a plasma gun in each hand-claw-thing might work well.
I usually run from rockets.
Pretty straightforward.
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

Keychain wrote:Ah yes. That thing would make one hell of an interesting NPC. Seems like it would make a very good 'charger' type of NPC.
Sure, if it charges at buildings, lol. The thing is the size of a strider according to the wiki.
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
RocketRunner
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by RocketRunner »

Which is all the more reason to stick Directed Energy Weaponry on it.
I usually run from rockets.
Pretty straightforward.
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

Meh, I see it as that thing from that one show Ben 10 (it's this kids' show that my younger brother watches), there's this alien in it that rolls up into a ball and rolls over stuff. I'd love to punt it around with the Gravity Gun into my teammates enemy NPC's.
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Keychain wrote:Ah yes. That thing would make one hell of an interesting NPC. Seems like it would make a very good 'charger' type of NPC.
It would be cool if it could charge the player, but it does have hands, so I hope to see a gun as well.

DisConnected wrote: Sure, if it charges at buildings, lol. The thing is the size of a strider according to the wiki.

I sure hope not... that's way to big. I thought it was something maybe about the height of the Hunter(slightly taller then humans).
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

DisConnected wrote:
Sure, if it charges at buildings, lol. The thing is the size of a strider according to the wiki.
Doesn't mean we have to go by it. I see it as a more Hunter-sized fast fighter, personally. Gets close and personal with its foes.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

In fact the original model have "3 metres" of height, and their behavior it would like a mech (using their arms and "feets" to make melee atacks).

Also, it would be used as an "infantry" in the "7-hour war" by the Combine.

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Combine_Super_Soldier

Imagine it as a npc. More harder than a strider, more powerful than a hunter.

Also, the Sven Co-op 2 version:
ImageImage

Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

It would be weaker then a strider... For balancing reasons. I also agree with Key on behavior; quick and up close and personal(though it should have a gun of some sort, I mean why would a super advanced alien race use infantry that can't even fire a gun...).

Really, we can make this thing do what ever we want. Not limited to the old concepts by Valve(though it Doesnt need any changes to the look), what ever we do, this guy needs to be more then just a combine soldier model replacement, it needs to have new logical, fun and challenging behavior and tactics.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Gary wrote:It would be weaker then a strider... For balancing reasons. I also agree with Key on behavior; quick and up close and personal(though it should have a gun of some sort, I mean why would a super advanced alien race use infantry that can't even fire a gun...).

Really, we can make this thing do what ever we want. Not limited to the old concepts by Valve(though it Doesnt need any changes to the look), what ever we do, this guy needs to be more then just a combine soldier model replacement, it needs to have new logical, fun and challenging behavior and tactics.
Completely agree with that.

I want see it here.