oc_harvest: Longer days using console / Hammer editor?

Obsidian General.
Skelpolu
Pixel

oc_harvest: Longer days using console / Hammer editor?

Post by Skelpolu »

Heya, community.
A few days ago I found Obsidian Conflict and its map "oc_harvest", which are both awesome.
However, it gets pretty nervous if you are in the town and try to buy seeds or something like that
and then the sun goes down and you only got out of the house and bought something.

Thats why; Is it possible to extend the day/-nightcycle without buying the alarm clock
using the ingame-console or the hammer editor with decompiling the whole map and changing an entity?

I dont like the alarm clock at all, mostly because it takes way too much time to even get it, in that time
I allready lost my mood to play. :/

PS: And no, host_timescale 0.5 doesnt helps much, eh. :lol:

Hopefully you can help me out with that. :)

Skelpolu
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Re: oc_harvest: Longer days using console / Hammer editor?

Post by Neico »

decompiling wouldn't work at 90% as the map is protected by various mechanisms.
but you could look the entity up with "find_ent day" or so
Skelpolu
Pixel

Post by Skelpolu »

Nope.avi
Sadly, it didnt worked.
Anyways, is there any other (small-)map like oc_harvest, beside oc_paysan_B11?
Or can someone explain me, which way tysn used to create oc_harvest ( the entity's etc. )?
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

Before this thread goes off with people ranting about moral goodness of not copying maps like pretty much every other one that involves someone trying to remake Harvest, we should just end it with one post. Tysn doesn't want other maps like his farming map, because it was his original idea and doesn't want more seemingly advanced farming maps overshadowing his, and rightly so. You can do other maps that involve RPG elements, just don't base too much of it around farming. See oc_diving, it's an RPG map with an original idea. Those should be your guidelines.

If you still just want to edit it, then sorry, I don't think there's a way. Unless someone invented a program I'm not aware of.
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
Skelpolu
Pixel

Post by Skelpolu »

Ehh, didnt knew that Tysn doesnt wants other harvesting maps. :poke:
Sorry then! :o

I'll check out oc_diving, I just like harvestig maps and wanted just a basic harvest map,
flat ground and with dev-textures. Think about it like you want to, but I kinda like basic-maps.

And seems my first impression failed hardly, mostly if Tysn saw this thread, haha. :oops:

A-anyways, as I said, I'll check out oc_diving, thanks for your help! :)

Off Topic
PS: And by that it means:
Teh end
Dave5430
Pixel

Post by Dave5430 »

Fairly sure that it's illegal to force others not to make things.

You might have thought of the idea, but you didn't buy the idea, you don't have IP over the idea, that's like saying police shouldn't use weapons because the military did it before and the romans had weapons before there were firearms.

Just for that, I'll do a hack job to get longer days and release it everywhere.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Personally this mod is all about customisation so I see nothing wrong with server operators having the freedom to do pretty much anything they want.

Though you must understand that the mod developers from time to time may disaprove of the direction some of that customisation takes, so just don't look for too much support from them.

I must say the devs have been quite tolerable and understanding so far regarding that side of things.

Finally, if you have the skills to entity edit, why waste your time on things like longer harvest day times, the map is obviously based on a fine balance, why not just leave it be as intended, so the map has the challenging elements to it. I say put your skills to something more worth while.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Tysn
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Tysn »

Dave5430 wrote:Fairly sure that it's illegal to force others not to make things.

You might have thought of the idea, but you didn't buy the idea, you don't have IP over the idea, that's like saying police shouldn't use weapons because the military did it before and the romans had weapons before there were firearms.

Just for that, I'll do a hack job to get longer days and release it everywhere.
I love how people keep dressing me up as some kind of mischievous IP baron ruling with an iron fist. Whoopdeedoo, so you make a harvest clone that uses my models and textures without my permission to annoy me, you're really raging against the machine there buddy. :roll:

How exactly am I "forcing" people to not make copies of harvest when oc_paysan has existed for years? And that map used my models and textures without permission, which are actually my intellectual property. Obviously people are going to make and play whatever they want, I've only ever been able to basically show disapproval; I'm not exactly hiring a lawyer over a map. So put on your Che t-shirt and fire up sourceSDK, it's not like you'll do anything worse than what oc_paysan has.

Frankly, over the years I don't really care as much anymore. You wanna make a farming map? Go right ahead. But if you decompile oc_harvest or use my models and textures without permission don't expect any support from me or OC. Either way like Fug said, mapping talents are better off coming up with new and fun ideas, not slight modifications of old ones.
DrHeadhumper
Polygon
Polygon

Post by DrHeadhumper »

Why would anyone want the days to be permanently longer anyway? Too many people grief the alarm clock from my experiences by turning it on, so we wait for 3 minutes having all tasks already completed, and crops grow half as fast.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

I suppose if I really wanted to, I get the value and you should be able to set it via ent_fire... But if there are multiple places the length of day are set then it would be rather annoying to mess with it.

Also, I don't support ripping modders maps apart and putting them back together then calling it their own, cause brushwork/models/textures/sounds are the creators property unless released to be used freely. But of course poking entities with ent_fire doesnt hurt anyone.
Last edited by Gary on Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

Dave5430 wrote:Fairly sure that it's illegal to force others not to make things.
You obviously haven't heard of copyrights.
Dave5430 wrote: You might have thought of the idea, but you didn't buy the idea, you don't have IP over the idea
You make a map. Don't be mad when I take it, add a couple new rooms, and release it everywhere. It's not illegal, but it's a heavily douchebag thing to do. Same way as stealing your friend's apple as a kid. You need a swift kick in the balls if you're actually thinking this is okay.
Dave5430 wrote:that's like saying police shouldn't use weapons because the military did it before and the romans had weapons before there were firearms.
No, it's nothing like that.
Dave5430 wrote:Just for that, I'll do a hack job to get longer days and release it everywhere.
Okay. Now what?

But now it got me thinking. How many harvest doubles will we see when this mod goes steamworks? It's a pretty popular map, so you know that there is going to be duplicates.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

lol reminds me of this thing I saw while just testing something the other day (or few)

I can't remember it properly but i think the player hosting that was something along the lines of Dave#### or so lol

Dis guy b srs, somone call da int3rwb police
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

He's pretty stupid if he actually decompiles the map and recompiles it just for longer days.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

So what, if someone wants longer days or more money or what ever, then they should be able to do what ever as long as they don't start hurting people. I doubt the guy now says he made the map, he just made the days longer.
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

Axel_m3sh wrote:lol reminds me of this thing I saw while just testing something the other day (or few)

I can't remember it properly but i think the player hosting that was something along the lines of Dave#### or so lol

Dis guy b srs, somone call da int3rwb police
I...I just don't even have a comment on this. W-Wait, wait, yes I do:

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.