Do People still play?

Obsidian General.
munchiepoo
Vertex
Vertex

Do People still play?

Post by munchiepoo »

Yes, do people still play? this mod deserves WAY more attention.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Do People still play?

Post by fug4life »

Yes & Yes, tell all your friends!

OC has steady updates that have kept players constantly playing for over 5 years now. I smell a new update around the corner but I'm just speculating/gossiping. :P
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

There's 25 players playing rigthnow!

It may not sound alot but the mod hasn't updated in over a year, there's always this average of players, remember its co-op you dont need 32 man servers filled, just a buddy or two!

Edit: I know of brand new commercial games that struggle to get those sort of consistent numbers! Average for OC is around 50 players at anyone time.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

25 people is probably the more accurate number, since there's not too many servers on and only 25% of those are even played on. That number is pretty terrible, you have to admit. Not trying to sound rude or anything, but even though only 8 people are needed or so, if only 25 people on average are on at the same time, the mod isn't looking too hot. I can't really say, since I don't have any stats that say how many people play on at the same time, but when I go on, I don't see a lot :(

But it's not really your fault, this is a great CO-OP mod, the problem I see is the genre itself. This mod is a lot like a singleplayer game, you only play it through once or if it's good, a few more times, then maybe come back to it when there's some new DLC or something like that. But once you've played all the 120 maps or so over and over and things play out the exact same way each time, it starts to get old (Synergy, COD Zombies). Unless there's a steady flow of mappers keeping things fun, it's just not that fun. Now if you had a bigger community, it would definitely help, because they'd obviously provide different content and the likes (Sven coop is still being played because of the large community that gave all the stuff). Another factor might be the whole anime thing. Not saying anything here, except in a lot of times in games (sometimes in this mod too) I hear people bagging on it, just something to keep in mind again.

At least we can hope the mods are making some amazing stuff to release on steamworks, so it gets the proper advertisement.
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
LivingWithGames
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by LivingWithGames »

The problem that we get this small amount of people on the mod is also caused to it not getting even a simple update on the News,so people will know this mod is still on the works on the next version.But also because there are games that can drag our attention and well,maybe another of the reasons we don't get this many of players.For example a game that is now free,Team Fortress 2.

Having quite 25 players in the mod in anyone's time is quite enough to be honest but yeah,it would be better if this number could be a little bigger.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

No disrespect to you guys, but some of you haven't been around through all of the thick and thin (You two joined over a year ago). I remeber the days before 1.3 when we were down to just W0rf0x's server. And it stayed alive and saw hundreds or more players come and go with updates (you'll be surprised what a little booster from an update can do).

Yes hl2 mod scene is pretty low, so 25 players constantly 24/7 isn't much too worry about, we've been through much harder times!

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

We should add this to the f.a.q., because i´m starting hate explain a lot of times why this.

No Steamworks mod + "Sven Co-op" sickness (once you played all the maps, it gets more and more harder to back to play) + high dispersion of the players (there are now a lot of games, "normal" and F2P, the situation isnt like in 2001/2006) = actual number of players.

But the mod continues being worked by the dev team, and the community still making stuff.

And DisConnected, stop saying that all the fault is due the Anime thing. How many servers have Anime stuff?, 2-3?. And we remember that the playermodels are optional (Anime playermodels only are 1/4 of the total number, is more easy find players using the VALVe pack or models from other games than Anime models). So stop saying it (your parents never told to you that if you believe in a lie, the lie will end transformed into a truth?).
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

AstuteMoron
Pixel

Post by AstuteMoron »

So, there's roughly 20-30 people playing at any time? That's not honestly bad at all. From what I've been hearing on the side, when this does go Steamworks, it'l probably pick up speed, I'm guessing.

You can add another 1 Person to the 20-30, soon enough, because I've been meaning to try this, but I've never had a capable computer until now.
Ny
Phone Donator
Phone Donator

Post by Ny »

Not to mention the current climate of big release games coming out or due to come out soon which we will be contending with. Having 25+ players is a given!
:nyoron:
RocketRunner
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by RocketRunner »

Multiplayer Source Mods in general tend to have small communities.
I usually run from rockets.
Pretty straightforward.
LivingWithGames
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by LivingWithGames »

That's true.
MaxWard
Vertex
Vertex

Post by MaxWard »

But for this game, the problem isn't the small community, it's mostly the fact that it's not known enough. I mean, I had absolutely no idea this mod existed before I started to look around for Teto models for GMod. I did a lot of research, maybe an hour or two, and I finally found this mod.
I truly wonder why so few people actually considered playing HL2 in coop... Even I, who played Sven a lot with a friend, never ever thought about a HL2 coop before stumbling upon Obsidian Conflict...
Also, the name may be an issue too. I truly don't think about HL2 coop when I hear obsidian, nor conflict.
Ah well, I wish my friend stopped playing his fancy new games so he could play this with me...
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

MaxWard wrote:I had absolutely no idea this mod existed before I started to look around for Teto models for GMod.
..Interesting. Those GMod uploads have come in handy afterall!
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Keychain wrote: ..Interesting. Those GMod uploads have come in handy afterall!
In fact yes, because i found OC after searching for a playermodel of the MMD Chibi GlaDOS.

:v
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

Was referring to the unofficial Mesark model releases but yeah.