Impossible to play no matter what?(Please Help Me)

Obsidian General.
RonanZer0
Vertex
Vertex

Impossible to play no matter what?(Please Help Me)

Post by RonanZer0 »

So a few days ago I noticed some files were missing for gmod/css, then I realized it was hl2.exe that was missing from the root of the game directory. So then I noticed all my source games except the half-life 2 ones had that missing file, It said the game was unvailable, however I was able to fix it by validating game cache, however this is not the case with this mod.
Since it is a mod it obviously has no official files on steam, and guess what HL2.EXE IS MISSING. yea you never would have guessed. HOW THE HECK DO I FIX THIS??
also i got an error about a 404 model pack in the installer, and dont go saying ho ho ho its on the front page noob
yea, I looked already, If you can point me to the text i'll believe you, otherwise nope.avi I can't find it.

so yeah thanks for any help you can give :(
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Re: Impossible to play no matter what?(Please Help Me)

Post by TESLA-X4 »

Source mods (excluding those already on Steam) don't have their own hl2.exe launchers, they use a shared one in steamapps/<your account name>/source sdk base 2007 (or 2006, depending on the mod). All you have to do after installing the mod is to restart Steam, after which it will show up in the list of games you have. Even if hl2.exe doesn't exist there now, Steam will take care of that and extract a copy from the GCFs for you.

Tl;dr:
1) Restart Steam after installing the mod
2) Make sure you have Source SDK Base 2007 installed (go to the Tools section of your games library to download it if you haven't already done so)
Apparently, Valve can't make games beyond the number 2.
I think the only time we'll get a Source SDK code update is when it starts having purchasable hats integrated, i.e. hatconomy.

Please do not make assumptions you are not knowledgeable enough to make - that just backfires on yourself.
Tick me off, and I'll be sure to give you the golden treatment. Haven't you heard? Silence is golden.
RonanZer0
Vertex
Vertex

didnt work

Post by RonanZer0 »

yea it didnt work, some other files must be missing, when launching i get a steam error 'game is unavailable' and yes i have those things installed or i would not be able to play half life 2 wars also what about the model thing?
RonanZer0
Vertex
Vertex

Post by RonanZer0 »

guess whats missing
hl2.exe in the source 2007 base >.>
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

RonanZer0 wrote:also what about the model thing?
I'm assuming you're referring to the model pack download error of the installer. Simply click 'Cancel' on the popup and the installer will proceed on its merry way.
RonanZer0 wrote:guess whats missing
hl2.exe in the source 2007 base >.>
TESLA-X4 wrote:Even if hl2.exe doesn't exist there now, Steam will take care of that and extract a copy from the GCFs for you.
Whether or not hl2.exe is present there does not determine your ability to run the mod, because that's Steam's responsibility. In fact, I personally clear out all hl2.exe in my account folder on a regular basis.

However, something that can prevent you running the mod is the lack of modify permissions for the source sdk base 2007 and SourceMods/obsidian folders. Try renaming source sdk base 2007 to something else, then try to launch the mod again (yes, Steam will automatically create a new folder for you again).
I think the only time we'll get a Source SDK code update is when it starts having purchasable hats integrated, i.e. hatconomy.

Please do not make assumptions you are not knowledgeable enough to make - that just backfires on yourself.
Tick me off, and I'll be sure to give you the golden treatment. Haven't you heard? Silence is golden.
RonanZer0
Vertex
Vertex

Post by RonanZer0 »

i know that but i really really want the models where do i get them
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

RonanZer0 wrote:i know that but i really really want the models where do i get them
Download it from here.

Another guy who only comes from the models. I´m starting thinking that maybe it would be good remove ALL the playermodels. Is annoying.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

RonanZer0
Vertex
Vertex

Post by RonanZer0 »

ahem i didnt come just for the models silly i just want them i havent even seem them and there is no link there :p
also most servers have really high ping, VERY strange maps or no people
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

They're available here.