Automatic/Manually Imported Vtf files don't Spray visibly

Obsidian General.
qmoney511
Donator
Donator

Automatic/Manually Imported Vtf files don't Spray visibly

Post by qmoney511 »

So I have a small problem. You see I wanted to import some sprays I downloaded into Obsidian Conflict. Normally it would work if it's a JPEG file and of correct size. However when I import vtf file or put the vtf and vmt files manually, it will show up just fine in the spray selection menu, but show up invisible to everyone including myself once I spray. Not sure if anyone else is having this problem but I could use some help.

"No, I don't want any wine with my coffee." -Mr. Onii-Chan 2013

TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Re: Automatic/Manually Imported Vtf files don't Spray visibl

Post by TESLA-X4 »

Seems to me that your spray images are too large (in terms of file size) - Valve raised the limit from ~131 KBs (256x256) to a larger value that I can't recall atm (I think it was ~500 KBs, the maximum dimensions went up to 512x512) in their official games on the newer engine branches. That means you can't just copy-paste them over. I think the inbuilt spray importer *should* work, but if it doesn't then there's nothing we can do about it either - that's Valve's code, not ours (therefore it's beyond our control).
Apparently, Valve can't make games beyond the number 2.
I think the only time we'll get a Source SDK code update is when it starts having purchasable hats integrated, i.e. hatconomy.

Please do not make assumptions you are not knowledgeable enough to make - that just backfires on yourself.
Tick me off, and I'll be sure to give you the golden treatment. Haven't you heard? Silence is golden.
qmoney511
Donator
Donator

Post by qmoney511 »

I see. Are there any programs I can use to open up the file and maybe trim it to a proper size? If not then Thanks anyway.

Charles445
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Charles445 »

VTFEdit should allow you to change the resolution of the image, decreasing the file size.
As long as you keep the dimensions square and powers of 2, you should be fine to resize it.
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

You can use VTFEdit to export them as BMP/TGA/PNG and rescale them using Photoshop, GIMP or Paint.NET, whichever program takes your fancy. After that, reimport them back with VTFEdit again and save them as (wait for it) VTFs. Just remember to ensure that the VTF version is 7.3 or below (iirc it's on the second or third tab of the import panel) - newer versions may fail to be loaded on the dated Source Engine 2007, resulting in the infamous checkerboard fallback texture.

Edit:
Asdf, ninja'd. :v
Apparently, Valve can't make games beyond the number 2.
I think the only time we'll get a Source SDK code update is when it starts having purchasable hats integrated, i.e. hatconomy.

Please do not make assumptions you are not knowledgeable enough to make - that just backfires on yourself.
Tick me off, and I'll be sure to give you the golden treatment. Haven't you heard? Silence is golden.
qmoney511
Donator
Donator

Post by qmoney511 »

Thanks guys, you were a big help. If I had star stickers you can have all except the purple ones those are mine >:C