Obsidian Conflict can't find HL2 (+Episodes) maps

Obsidian General.
Fourmisain
Pixel

Obsidian Conflict can't find HL2 (+Episodes) maps

Post by Fourmisain »

Hey there, I'm having trouble with Obsidian Conflict. For some odd reason I'm not able to start HL2 Coop, but standalone maps are working fine. The mod just can't find the original maps, like d1_trainstation_01, but they are just there!

Let me show what I've done:

I've installed Half-life 2, Half-life 2 Episode 1, Half-life 2 Episode 2 and Source Base SDK 2007.
I've verified the game files with no problems.
I've ran each of these games, again, with no problems.
I then installed Obsidian Conflict Beta 1.35 (Client). I made sure, that Steam wasn't interfering. After that I applied the 1.35 Hotfix.

When starting oc_lobby and smashing the first HL2 door, I get a black fade down, but no level change. Console output is:

Code: Select all

CModelLoader::Map_IsValid:  No such map 'maps/d1_trainstation_01.bsp'
changelevel failed: d1_trainstation_01 not found
The same happens with a simple "map d1_trainstation_01" console command. It just can't find the map. Episode maps aren't working either, and I mounted them through the mod options. I also have an ATI/AMD graphics card and activated static mounting, if that matters (*).

Now, the odd thing is, that the maps are there, in the HL2 directory. To be precise they lie in ...\SteamApps\common\Half-Life 2\hl2\maps.
I found that a bit odd, because you would expect that the maps are coming in a vpk, since Valve switched to the new SteamPipe content system, but those maps are just laying there in the open. I asked a friend, and for him it's the same, except he doesn't have any trouble.

I even tried to modify the gameinfo.txt, putting more explicit search paths, adding HL2 trough "AdditionalContentId", etc. but to no avail.

The only working "fix" for me, is to copy the maps in the mod directory, and even then, I'm not sure, if there are other missing resources, which the mod cannot load.

I'm really stumped and don't have any more options that I can think of, so I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance! Fourmi~

(*) Edit: Disabling ATI mounting fix doesn't help either.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Re: Obsidian Conflict can't find HL2 (+Episodes) maps

Post by MaestraFénix »

Have you tried this script?: http://www.obsidianconflict.net/forums/ ... 645#p75645

Run it, type client, and when it finishes, make the symbolic links to the Source SDK Base 2007 folder. That should make again the mod load the contents of other games.

*The whole Steampipe problem is ridiculous. The people have different bugs, and different fixes must to be applied.*
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

Fourmisain
Pixel

Post by Fourmisain »

Thanks for the input! I applied the fix, and it kinda works(*), but I need to playtest this later on. It definitely finds the maps, which isn't that surprising, because the fix basically just extracts the vpks, and the symlinks "add" the extracted contents to the Source Base 2007, which Obsidian Conflict is based on. This doesn't exactly sound like an elegant solution, but I'll take it for now.

(*): I noted, that the extracted contents overwrite the existing contents, so I verified HL2 again and 10 files couldn't be verified, meaning as much as 10 files were overwritten by older versions. I guess the problem is the /Y switch of xcopy, which forces overwriting without prompt. Sadly, there is no switch to skip overwriting files without prompt, but there is at least the /-Y switch, which prompts when wanting to overwrite a file. Using this switch, one can at prevent unwanted overwriting of files, although it requires user input.

This may or may not be irrelevant, but I found it interesting:
I tried starting the HL2 campaign through setting up a local listenserver with oc_lobby on, and I noted, that it made a difference if I used your proposed fix, or the "just copying the maps to the mod directory fix". When I just copied the maps, I startet by riding the train, although gman didn't have his speach. When I symlinked the hl2 directory, I got teleported about 5 times, landing in front of gman, not talking, and never getting teleported out.
I guess the problem here is, that I don't have the OC server version installed and try and run a server anyways, but it still shows, that there is something different going on.

I'm not sure whether this is a good or bad thing, because yesterday I used the "copy map fix", and I could successfully complete chapter 1 of the HL2 campaign on a "real" server, gman even talked.
I will test, if this new fix works as intended, but I can't test this alone, so I'll report back later.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

The Steampipe broke some stuff on the HL2 maps. The servers, since they have their hotfixes, they probably have fixed these kind of problems.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

There is no "elegant" solution as that would require to modify the mounting code, which at least isn't going to happen to the current public version anytime soon...
also: extracting content should never cause files to get invalid (as the files inside the vpk aren't tracked by steam when extracted), it's more like your copy of the game already had these invalid files from the steampipe conversation or for whatever reason.

Also, even if you don't want to use it this way, you can at least use the addon system to go around it, both ways require to extract the vpk content tough, and the addon one is actually slower (as the mod needs to add extra search paths instead of using the existing ones)

But I REALLY dislike it when people think that putting it into the oc folder directly will solve it, it may do that, but you'll most likely break the mod itself in the process
Failord
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Failord »

Excuse me for asking, as it was probably answered in the previous post, but are there any plans to develop/release some kind of compatibility fix for this in the following months?
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

my script is as close as you'll get to a permanent solution to the issue, for now.
There is nothing else planned to address it so far...
Ny
Phone Donator
Phone Donator

Post by Ny »

Neico wrote:my script is as close as you'll get to a permanent solution to the issue, for now.
There is nothing else planned to address it so far...
You might want to sticky a thread or something to stop all these threads from popping up
:nyoron:
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

don't feel like doing that, after all, the script is supposed to help temporally, I have no idea how I want to handle it in the future yet...