About your coder problem.

Obsidian General.
TorndadoAP
Vertex
Vertex

About your coder problem.

Post by TorndadoAP »

Basically, my father is a professional programmer fluent in C languages as well as python scripting and several other languages(C and python is just what he prefers). My father is right now doesn't have any work, and as a result he has tonnes of freetime. Seeing as you guys need a C programmer, one with some freetime, I asked my father if he could help out with this mod. He's kind of accepted, he just needs to see the state of the source code of the mod. Is there anywhere or anyone I could get it from?

Any other suggestions on how to go about this?
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Re: About your coder problem.

Post by Shana »

Does he have experience with the Source Engine or games in general? Any examples of his work he could show us?

We can't just give him our sourcecode right away without getting to know him first, for obvious reasons.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

Not to mention that he needs to learn C++ as the source engine is build on that, not on C.
There is a learn curve between C and C++ but isn't as big as if you're starting right off with C++ so it depends on how good he learns things (that's something he needs to do before even considering to apply here)

After that there's learning the source engine code itself which has a more long term learn curve but the programmers in the team could help in that area at least.
Learning from the already available source engine code (Source2013) could ease and speed up this part tough.

But we can't help him learn C++ as that would probably require more time investment then he could bring back to the team as time is something we already lack most...
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Neico wrote:But we can't help him learn C++ as that would probably require more time investment then he could bring back to the team as time is something we already lack most...
CPlusPlus.com is a good start, and after he grasp the main idea of it, he can try by doing this tutorial first: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/My_First_Mod

As Neico said, the Source engine itself is a complex world, but I disagree on the opinion that you will learn fast at looking at the code. Is horribly mutilated, barely commented, and even dirty on some parts, so a trainee would get quickly confused. Go step by step.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

TorndadoAP
Vertex
Vertex

Post by TorndadoAP »

Shana wrote:Does he have experience with the Source Engine or games in general? Any examples of his work he could show us?

We can't just give him our sourcecode right away without getting to know him first, for obvious reasons.
That's pretty much the only problem about him. He doesn't have much experience, or really any experience with the source engine. Which also pertains to the next question asked that he doesn't have really any examples of work on games.
But how about the 6th best on Stack Overflow? https://stackoverflow.com/users/17034/hans-passant
Neico wrote:Not to mention that he needs to learn C++ as the source engine is build on that, not on C.
There is a learn curve between C and C++ but isn't as big as if you're starting right off with C++ so it depends on how good he learns things (that's something he needs to do before even considering to apply here)

After that there's learning the source engine code itself which has a more long term learn curve but the programmers in the team could help in that area at least.
Learning from the already available source engine code (Source2013) could ease and speed up this part tough.

But we can't help him learn C++ as that would probably require more time investment then he could bring back to the team as time is something we already lack most...
By C, I meant the spectrum of the C languages (C, C+,C++,C#, ect.). Yes he knows C++.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

1. There's no C+
2. C and C++ are different even if similar
3. C# is completely different from both C and C++, it's easier to compare C# with "Managed C++" though which imo is an uglyfication of C++...

From your response I get the feeling that you don't much about said languages so I have to ask, is he actually able to use C++ or not?

Also, there are a lot of examples for source mods, the problem is that if you haven't read much into it you'll only be confused and can't see the layout directly, which is why I advice there sources:
Source2013: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/source-sdk-2013
VDC (Valve Developer Community): https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SDK_Docs

PS: some new features of the new source 2013 branch is still unknown to most users, an good example would be VPC which is not documented well, though I'd only use that one as it's super effective once you know how it works...
TorndadoAP
Vertex
Vertex

Post by TorndadoAP »

Neico wrote:1. There's no C+
2. C and C++ are different even if similar
3. C# is completely different from both C and C++, it's easier to compare C# with "Managed C++" though which imo is an uglyfication of C++...

From your response I get the feeling that you don't much about said languages so I have to ask, is he actually able to use C++ or not?

Also, there are a lot of examples for source mods, the problem is that if you haven't read much into it you'll only be confused and can't see the layout directly, which is why I advice there sources:
Source2013: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/source-sdk-2013
VDC (Valve Developer Community): https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SDK_Docs

PS: some new features of the new source 2013 branch is still unknown to most users, an good example would be VPC which is not documented well, though I'd only use that one as it's super effective once you know how it works...
Look I'm not a very technical person. I really don't know much about coding, the only thing I know is a little bit of Lua, but that's a scripting language. I'm better than the average person but am not to deep into it. My Dad knows C++. He's be doing it since the 80s. Just take a look at the profile on Stack Overflow it says it right there that he knows C#, which while isn't C++ is indicative of knowledge of the C language spectrum.

Right now I'm only going off of what he's asked me after I requested that he at least take a look at this mod.