About oc_harvest and edicts

Obsidian General.
n30x
Vertex
Vertex

About oc_harvest and edicts

Post by n30x »

Oc_harvest is the most reason, why I do play OC. But have you already tried to harvest about 30 orange plants on one time? Sounds stressy, but nope, you can't have done this, because it isn't possible. If you try this, your server will create too much edicts and will crash. Edicts are entitys, which have to be available client and server side, so they are "networked entitys". The number of the max. entitys is infinite, but edicts are not. But sadly, the OC devs can't change this value simply, because it is in the source engine and only Valve can change this. But anyway, a normal user can crash the server and it isn't funny if you have to start always again, because you farm like a boss. Is there maybe something that you can do about it? Like tweaking the map, like deleting not needed edicts or just prevent a user to plant too much at the same time? Or atleast a hint/warning?
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Re: About oc_harvest and edicts

Post by MaestraFénix »

Basically not.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

KittopiaCreator
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by KittopiaCreator »

Technically, there is something that can be done programmatically to reduce edict usage, potentially allowing infinite prop objects to exist in a map by using a controller entity. But this would require a great deal of custom entities to handle detection and suchlike, a lot of net-code that could cause server lag, and an overhaul of the map. So it might not be worth it.
n30x
Vertex
Vertex

Post by n30x »

Well, if I would have experience with the source engine, it would be worth for me to code it, even if it would lag the whole server, but I don't think out would, if you host on a good server.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

n30x wrote:Well, if I would have experience with the source engine, it would be worth for me to code it, even if it would lag the whole server, but I don't think out would, if you host on a good server.
It doesn't help that Valve put the definitions of the limits at the closed part of the code, so modders like us can't change it without a license.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

n30x
Vertex
Vertex

Post by n30x »

Atleast a mapper can optimize his maps and user be warned about. For example in oc_harvest, if you create for each type of seeds a button, with which you spawn the seeds on demand you can save edicts. Because instead of seeds you get a higher value of the seed counter and if you need one, you press a button in your house and there it is. Another example is a "trash bin"... If you don't need the first bucket anymore, just destroy it. These could be small improvements which I already tested privately. Also the number of oranges could be decreased from 5 to 4 (therefore, the seed should cost maybe 10$ instead of 12$). This would also help preventing a user to spawn too much edicts, because he has to do more work.
Other ideas: waterfall with less env_steam entitys, less decals