oc_waking_dead

Show off work in progress maps.
sgae
FUCK ALL

Post by sgae »

add residen evil music or silent hill to ambient the map :D

and if you can add a mision or something... i didn't see any map like RECO of sven in OC

it's only because running away in a map killing zombie spam is boring in some time... (and for this we have syershit XD)

keep up the good work!
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

Tono-Tako wrote:sk_max_
for amount of ammo
Excellent! Thanks! :D
sgae wrote:add residen evil music or silent hill to ambient the map :D

and if you can add a mision or something... i didn't see any map like RECO of sven in OC

it's only because running away in a map killing zombie spam is boring in some time... (and for this we have syershit XD)

keep up the good work!
Actually I spent most of today picking out music for the map - I settled on around 7-8 different songs that are played in various parts of the map, to help build the mood.

As for story...
This map was originally designed as a free-play map with zombies spawning indefinitely and you explored around the post-apocalyptic city killing them. This went well for a while, but after playing it for little over half an hour I got really really bored. (I think this is the same with a lot of other zombie maps out there - no real objectives aside from killing zombies). So I went completely back to the drawing board on this map (literally, I took out a blank piece fo paper and started again). This new version did away with pointless zombie killing. Don't get me wrong, you still have to kill lots of zombies, but now there's a POINT to it! I made this version of my zombie-thriller much more linear, and with clear goals to accomplish. While there's not much of a storyline (story = escape the city + kill the zombies + kill more zombies), I've tried to do my best to make it linear enough to give players a fun objective, but open enough to let people explore a bit too.

Anyways, my recent walkthrough of the map took me an hour and a half, so it should take 2-3 people around 45 minutes to an hour (I'm totally guessing here). But yea. 's goood and biiiig. Still working on cubemaps, correcting errors/glytches/stupid things I've done in the map, but let me tell you: the addition of music into the map is sweeeeeet.

The zombies are coming!
Current projects: Return to City 17 and Rising Dead
Also, check out my Blag: http://daman-amappersworld.blogspot.com/
Tono-Tako
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Tono-Tako »

frak yeah, great work :thumbsup:
Vote for obsidian conflict in moddb
One click a day doesnt hurt your finger
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

Tono-Tako wrote:frak yeah, great work :thumbup:
Damn right! :D

So. Cubemaps are in. I've now got everything into the map I really really want to have.

Unfortunately, I'm at 4,166 entities. Max entities allowable is 4095. (It still complains if you have exactly the limit of 4096). Hence, I need to get rid of 71 entities.

I don't think it will be too much of a problem - I just have to distinguish between what I absolutely must have in the map and what i really really want to have. But yea. Should be gearing up for a Wednesday release. (I want to double-check a few lights, and compiling the map with lights takes several hours (as I'm sure nobody is surprised), and I've also got to get everything pakratted). So yea. Wednesday.

I must admit, this is the first map I've done where I've had to remove things before releasing. Usually you have to add things to an unreleased map... :?
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

No, everything I have is currently the default CSS weapons. Though I quite like some of those - might add some in! :)

Though currently I'm more concerned with releasing the map than adding in more custom content ;)
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

wtf. Ok, now all of a sudden vbsp is crashing when I try to compile the map. No clue why - I've checked problems, i'm under max_entities, everything should be cool. It goes until it says "fixing up cubemap faces" then crashes.

It's given me a few mem dumps, but I don't know how to interpret them, so currently I'm refreshing SDK content and hoping that works. :?
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

DaMaN wrote:wtf. Ok, now all of a sudden vbsp is crashing when I try to compile the map. No clue why - I've checked problems, i'm under max_entities, everything should be cool. It goes until it says "fixing up cubemap faces" then crashes.

It's given me a few mem dumps, but I don't know how to interpret them, so currently I'm refreshing SDK content and hoping that works. :?
I hate it that source/hammer always have to crash when you make something very complex, i had to remove the hdr in the new broken escape because the game always crashed when i tried to build the hdr cubemaps and i had to make the trainride much whorse, because the engine couldnt handle so many parented moving entities (i had buildings, trees, and a lot of other stuff in the trainride, but all i could left in were the moving walls with the tracks and fences on them) god, it looked so much better, damn source!
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

W0rf0x wrote:
DaMaN wrote:wtf. Ok, now all of a sudden vbsp is crashing when I try to compile the map. No clue why - I've checked problems, i'm under max_entities, everything should be cool. It goes until it says "fixing up cubemap faces" then crashes.

I hate it that source/hammer always have to crash when you make something very complex, i had to remove the hdr in the new broken escape because the game always crashed when i tried to build the hdr cubemaps and i had to make the trainride much whorse, because the engine couldnt handle so many parented moving entities (i had buildings, trees, and a lot of other stuff in the trainride, but all i could left in were the moving walls with the tracks and fences on them) god, it looked so much better, damn source!
Damn source indeed! This map could have been finished ages ago if it wasn't for the memory errors, random compile glytches, and hammer crashes that source constantly gives!!

But yea. Good news/bad news. Good news is I found out why the map's not compiling: something to do with cubemaps. Bad news is I have no idea why the cubemaps would be causing a compile to crash (without errors). Perhaps the map is just too big for it to handle all the assigning of cubemap faces. Dunno. Anyways, I'm going to try binary search compiles with the cordon to find out where the problem is. :?

Damn source...

EDIT: F***!!! Ok, it's definitely not one single cubemap that's the problem - the map will compile in sections, but all together something screws up. Probably too many faces for it to handle or something. Damn...

I guess try deleting some cubemaps? Adding some cubemaps? SOMETHING??

EDIT: With no cubemaps = compile. With all cubemaps = crash.
With some cubemaps = ? <- let's find out...

EDIT: Ok, finally got it to compile with cubemaps (sorta). Now it won't compile because it says the map has MAX_MAP_TEXDATA. F***.
Lark
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Lark »

*pats on shoulder* let it out let it out but if you start crying I am leaveing...
Tono-Tako
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Tono-Tako »

Go to hl2world and post your compile log, may be they will help you
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

Arg. The SDK has radically changed its interface (the entity editing window is now different - meaning i've got to re-learn most of my fast-motions, plus it's harder to read), none of the game configurations will load the map properly, and I'm beyond annoyed right now.

It seems Valve has screwed up with their update yet once again. Big huge surprise there (*note sarcasm*). As you can imagine, until I get this gigantic screwup sorted out, I'm not going to be doing much OC mapping.

I'm pissed.

EDIT: Ok, our hero skidz found out what the problem was with the sdk. Check out the announcement in general mapping.

EDIT: Yay! It compiles now! I'll be compiling it tonight with rad and vis and seeing how it looks, then probably a release! Possibly tonight, but this weekend is more likely.
sgae
FUCK ALL

Post by sgae »

valve only knows borke everything is ok...

1 rule of a programer: if something is good don touck it!

obviously valve don't knows that...
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

Well after many trials and tribulations I've got it to compile. With light. And it's good.

Still one or two bugs that I need to fix before releasing ('cause I'm a perfectionist), but I figured I'd put up some new screenshots.

So yea. Still a few things that I need to tweak, and then release. (Well, pakrat all the tons and tons of custom stuff into the map, then release. :P)
Tono-Tako
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Tono-Tako »

looks awesome, hope you finish this without bugs