[No longer WIP please delete]

Post by fug4life »

The war is coming,
They no longer matter,
The war is with us!!!

One question, which are you?
RED? or BLUE?

More details later...
Last edited by fug4life on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lark
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Lark »

Im GREEN :P
LinkNEO
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by LinkNEO »

Sparta have red on them.
I'm red!
This is Sparta!!!

This is going to be a fun map.
I just had an idea.
Why not have a co-op but two sides red and blue you have to work as a team to beat the other team and the map.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Ok, so whats it all about?
oc_warmachine_fortress is a conversion of my, yes you guessed it oc_warmachine map. I've choosen to make a conversion to TeamPlay for OC for many reasons. I think that oc_seamus is a little lonely and the mod could do with another similar style map as an alternative to classic coop. I know it may mot be the most popular game style, but I think the map will be a nice addition. I'm also paying a little tribute to red/blue mods like TeamFortress, SourceForts etc, etc..

It's not too hard to see that this map already has the potential to be a good TeamPlay map, If you imagine the layout of the existing map completely mirrored, except for the 'Main Core' Which will now be the centre of the map. I sort of made oc_warmachine to be a fexible map in terms of layout and If you look at the diffrent routes that can be taken in the map then you start to get an Idea how and where gameplay will unfold.

I have a few Ideas for the map and the gameplay although I haven't
made any final decisions. I'm planning on using the merchants that will come with v1.3. I will have defenses for both teams that will either need to be enabled, disabled or reactivated. I will probably use the supply crates as the capture objectives for each team (As in oc_seamus).
Both your supply crates and merchants will be heavily defended, so you can concentrate on offence rather than defence. Due to the size of the map

I want npc's but they will be limited to a mainly defensive role. such as guarding the supply crate and merchant, patrol areas where the other team need to get to shut down your other defences. LinkNeo yes your Idea is a good one, unfortunately due to the size of the map, it's just too big to have the sort of number of entites that oc_warmachine has.

So what have I done, well completed the layout of the map (doubled it)
I've changed to TeamPlay, I retextured the whole map, although I'm toying around with them still trying to get a look I'm happy with (I'm finding it very hard to retexture a whole map that I've got used to and familiar with the look of the original). I've ripped out all the doors. deleted a ton of stuff that 's just no longer needed. Alot of optimizing done (This has helped me to find stuff I missed in the original that I need to fix (I found a few brushes that should be func_detailed or were func_detailed but I moved to world and forgot to re-tie the entity and a few other things I stumbled across whilst doing this remake).

The map really dosen't need too much work on it, I'm waiting for 1.3 to come, so I can add some of the features to this map and my other WIP map oc_rein. I still have a few issues with oc_warmachine to fix up.
So really I have still 3 maps I'm working on, I think that's enough for now!

So this is how it looks so far, I'm not totally decided on the textures like I said..

fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

ok, I've managed to get a capture mode up and working!
<cough>
with the good help of someone elses sample tutorial (I have no idea who's but, I wouldn't of had a clue how to go about it, so thanks)!
I had to change a few things, now all works ok!

'have' or 'has' stolen supplies which is right?
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I thought I'd give you an Idea of how the map looks in terms of size!

Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

Cool.

Add some respawning npc_fastzombie_torso in the vents and we'll have a winner with this kind of gameplay.
Lark
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Lark »

I vote npc_fastzombie_torso too!
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

erm... ok! If you guys are serious, I'll see if they'll fit (vent's are small)
Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

Players vs Players with some hidden npcs sounds great to me.
Alan
Pixel

Post by Alan »

Some areas look very nice, varied, and polished, while others look very blocky and under-detailed.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Thank you for your kind comments, This map is a remake of my first already released map (although not final version)
http://www.obsidianconflict.com/forums/ ... php?t=1581

I agree with you, the map has been retextured with lighter textures and I removed a load of blood decals, so thing's are a bit bare. The map is a bit squareish in many palces and particually the ceiling's are bare.
oc_warmachine was my first released map ever ( I know they say you shouldn't release your first map) but I felt it was playable enough not to let it go to waste. Both the original and this remake have very little room for enities, the original due to all the npc's and the remake because the size of the map has almost doubled. Although both maps, have had a lot of optimising done on them and the few fps hotspots are no more(anywhere I had dynamics lights enabled are now disabled, thanks W0rf0X) and a load of func_ detailing and input/output simplification.

Which means I have room, maybe to add some brush work to the maps, especially the ceilings. As regards to this version, I've got props to delete and props and npc's to add, plus some of obsidians 1.3 features, so I'm kinda on hold till I get the features I want in. The I'll try to make it less corridor for corridor!
Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

my first map was sdk_vehicles with zombies around.

:lol: