Show off work in progress maps.
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

oc_tantrum_b6

Post by Svanrog »

Might not be CANCELLED

oc_tantrum_b6 WIP

Current version: oc_tantrum_b5. b6 development not yet started.

Story:
In one of the combine's bases in the Nevada desert there have been an uprising. An uprising among the Combines themselves. Your objective is to infiltrate the base and neutralize their weapons of mass destruction while there is counfusion among the Combine.
As you arrive the rebelling Combines have full control over the situation, but as every second goes by a larger group of Elite Combines are on their way to put things in order. To to make the rebelling Combines surrender, overwatch have deactivated all local supression devices and forcefields that usually protect them from Xen creatures.

In this mission you must be prepared to fight snipers, combine forces, manhacks, zombies, striders, gargantuas, headcrabs, houdeyes, bullsquids, turrets and you will most likely encounter helicopters and/or gunships. There are no known stalkers in the area, but be prepared for anything.

This is a night-time mission.

b2
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

b3
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

b4
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

b2 improvements:
-HDR now works properly (well, it didn't I found out later)
-You can now complete this map alone
-Added soundscapes
-Many minor improvements

b3 improvements:
-A makeover of the annoying invisible path puzzle just before the reactor room
-Added messages to make sure people don't get confused by the sometimes too complex layout
-Added a 3d skybox
-Added custom npc names
-Removed the mysterious keypad that I did never find any use for (it was using too much of my entdata!)
-Changed the environmental light to look more natural
-Enhanced the look of some of the duller areas
-Fixing of minor bugs and issues found during development

b4 improvements:
-Some minor stuff
-Not much, mainly a quick repair to make it work again :D

b5 improvements:
-The second ending will be included in this version
-Most text messages will be replaced by radio messages (Credits to gtaiiilc)
-Bug fixes, the final spawn from b4 is fixed for example
-Polishing of some rubbish-looking areas
-Whatever someone suggests that I find suitable to put in there

b6 improvements:
-Credits will be changed to Svanrog, instead of old Oniyuri
-I will add a lot more spawn points, it's not that much fun having to run through half the level just to catch up with the action
-info_waypoints will be implemented
-New radio messages
-Other minor changes

Wanna be promoted in this map as a snark? There is still room!
Last edited by Svanrog on Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:46 am, edited 28 times in total.
[JSC][GU]PREDATOR
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by [JSC][GU]PREDATOR »

Well done! nice map. keep up the good work. :lol:
[JSC]King of the crowbar
prop_static
prop_static

Post by [JSC]King of the crowbar »

leet also
your love fills me up when the blood in my body has drained, your strength is my my back bone when i fell every bone break.

atreyu- nevadas grace
Scrap
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Scrap »

very sexy and shagedelic
destu
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by destu »

Nice brushwork! Looking really forward to play this one
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

Currently I'm working hard to be able to release the first version of this map as soon as possible. In the near I'll hopefully be able to show you some images of the sewer, basement and laundry areas. ( I guess you don't need to see the ventilation area. )
Stay tuned!
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

Minefield :rockon:
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

I got a few questions. :D

1. What is the best, killing or puzzeling?
2. What is the best, hard, medium or easy maps?
3. What is the best, almost endless hoards of enemies, or smaller but tougher hoards?
4. Which puzzles are the best, those that you can solve not even exiting the room it's in or the ones where you have to go on one or more sidetracks to complete them?
5. Are cruel traps good or bad?
6. Leave other opinions of what you think makes a good map!

You don'y need to answer them all, but in those questions where you have an opinion, please say it out loud! :o
Thank you for your cooperation!

The reason I ask these questions is because I want to know what kind of gameplay/puzzles I need to implent into my map to make it as fun as possible to play.
:D
Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

1. Considering that we have physics now , Puzzles . We had enough killing with the hl1 mods :P

2. Medium-Hard

3. Less npcs with higher health values. god.

4. Being stuck in a room until you complete it

5. Good in MP , Bad in SP

6. Friendly npc scripted sequences :)
Scrap
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Scrap »

3. What is the best, almost endless hoards of enemies, or smaller but tougher hoards?
4. Which puzzles are the best, those that you can solve not even exiting the room it's in or the ones where you have to go on one or more sidetracks to complete them?

1. For me puzzeling also : jump puzzels, stack puzzels , err shoot the can in the right place puzzel maybe?(hint hint :P )
2. For me extra extra extra hard so i could realy feel frightened, i love realism in every game including half life 2 where 1-3 shots should be a kill.
3. Small- tough
4. solve not even exiting it , merged with the maps flow so it makes sense also
5. Cruel traps are very cool, please make em so everyone could comment "looool!!oneelen" ect. and there realy funny
6. Errr episodic maps so maybe in a year you could play the same theme across 7-8 maps like in svencoop. Also fun and reinvented use of physic uses( all i can think of is break maps in counter strike, ). basicly all "out of the box" ideas and way of thinking.
Tono-Tako
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Tono-Tako »

Scrap wrote:1. What is the best, killing or puzzeling?

1. For me puzzeling also : jump puzzels, stack puzzels , err shoot the can in the right place puzzel maybe?(hint hint :P )
2. For me extra extra extra hard so i could realy feel frightened, i love realism in every game including half life 2 where 1-3 shots should be a kill.
3. Small- tough
4. solve not even exiting it , merged with the maps flow so it makes sense also
5. Cruel traps are very cool, please make em so everyone could comment "looool!!oneelen" ect. and there realy funny
6. Errr episodic maps so maybe in a year you could play the same theme across 7-8 maps like in svencoop. Also fun and reinvented use of physic uses( all i can think of is break maps in counter strike, ). basicly all "out of the box" ideas and way of thinking.
my answers:
1.- killing, but with some puzzles
2.- medium, everybody hates de ultra-mega-hardmaps and super easymaps
3.- smaller but tougher hoards
4.- the 2 ones are good
5.- good, i think..
im looking forward wih this map! good luck!
Vote for obsidian conflict in moddb
One click a day doesnt hurt your finger
Power-Mad
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Power-Mad »

Oniyuri wrote:I got a few questions. :D

1. Actions with puzzles in the middle ot keep things intresting,
2. Lets just say this, combine should have at least as much health as you do, so you have to work as a team.
3. A mix of the 2, do not keep action the same through out the entire map.
4. Again, you want a mix, don't keep action the same all the way through.
5. They are if they have indication or what's going to happen. If you just for no reasonbreak a floor below someones feet into a spike trap, that's overly mean.
6. Never do things teh exact same twice, just keep changing up the gameplay on us! Oh, and make secrets!
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

Good stuff. Thanks for the replies so far. I need more, though. It could be dangerous to let just a few people set up guide lines.
What about hard snipers? ( see images of minefield. one sniper in each bunker on top of the big one. more props are added at this moment. )
What about puzzles where one or more people have to sacrifice their lives to solve a puzzle?

My goal is to make this map not feel too linear.
Maybe I should add mortars as well to the minefield. Maybe remove one sniper.

In the map the npc's weapon's and attacks are adjusted to do more damage, so it can be har without too big hoards! Toughest place so far in my map is where you meet 10 manhacks and 8 combines. Is it to much? (considering lag). Now they are only slightly increased, but since I can clear out what is in this map now alone, dying only 10-20 times on difficulty 2 I think it's too easy. How many times is *lagom to die during one game?

*Just enough but not too much (swedish word. has no exact translation in english.)
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

Power-Mad wrote:Oh, and make secrets!
You don't know who you're talking to. I've been planning to include LOTS of 'em. (may not be featured in the b1 version)
Look out for padlocks to unveil weapons not actually featured in this map!
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

I just got to think of something (yes, progress is going on as planned).
Would it be more exciting if you could fail your mission? Not that you should fail the mission if you don't succeed a specific super hard task, but rather if you have to protect vital objects or maybe escape before the whole place gets blown up by its own nukes.
What about that if you fail one objective, you have to finish the mission in an alternate way? Like subpaths and alternate endings!

Tell me your opinion, please! I don't actually want to include gameplay that is hated worldwide!