oc_tantrum_b6

Show off work in progress maps.
Scrap
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Scrap »

well a while ago tought of making a map with multyple choises but deemed it too hard to complete with my lack of mapping knowledge. Subpaths have plusses and minuses. The biggest + is that it wont be repetetive, and - that you will waste resources a) map will be more laggier b) it will take longer for you to make the map
Power-Mad
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Power-Mad »

The best option I find is to make optional paths, where you could unlock a weapon going down it so they want to, but don't have to.
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

Scrap wrote:well a while ago tought of making a map with multyple choises but deemed it too hard to complete with my lack of mapping knowledge. Subpaths have plusses and minuses. The biggest + is that it wont be repetetive, and - that you will waste resources a) map will be more laggier b) it will take longer for you to make the map
If you optimize the map well it won't be very much laggier. That assumes that if you have two alternate paths you can only chose one of them.
Scrap
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Scrap »

Oniyuri wrote:
Scrap wrote:well a while ago tought of making a map with multyple choises but deemed it too hard to complete with my lack of mapping knowledge. Subpaths have plusses and minuses. The biggest + is that it wont be repetetive, and - that you will waste resources a) map will be more laggier b) it will take longer for you to make the map
If you optimize the map well it won't be very much laggier. That assumes that if you have two alternate paths you can only chose one of them.
'
'well maybe but your the one that has to prove me wrong :)
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

Scrap wrote:
Oniyuri wrote:
'
'well maybe but your the one that has to prove me wrong :)
I'll do my best. :)

Added some new images. See top of the thread!
Crimson
npc_citizen
npc_citizen

Post by Crimson »

Oniyuri wrote:I got a few questions. :D

1. What is the best, killing or puzzeling?
2. What is the best, hard, medium or easy maps?
3. What is the best, almost endless hoards of enemies, or smaller but tougher hoards?
4. Which puzzles are the best, those that you can solve not even exiting the room it's in or the ones where you have to go on one or more sidetracks to complete them?
5. Are cruel traps good or bad?
6. Leave other opinions of what you think makes a good map!

You don'y need to answer them all, but in those questions where you have an opinion, please say it out loud! :o
Thank you for your cooperation!

The reason I ask these questions is because I want to know what kind of gameplay/puzzles I need to implent into my map to make it as fun as possible to play.
:D
1killing then you come up to a puzzle
2very hard!
3smaller but tougher hordes
4one room keep it simple but no to simple
5cruel trps are okay as long as there not a big penis landing on you like in surfmod_greatcanal
6the map looks extremly leet dude!
master of the crowbar
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

I've posted some (8) new screenshots. Please evaluate them! :)
Progress is going on as planned and I've soon reached the point where you will be able to chose an optional path with another, more dramatic ending (will not be featured in v b1) :D

Btw, I need a chopper model (or any VSL aircraft). It should be able to carry people. The seats in the helicopter will be fixed using a new entity that will be included in v 1.2 (if I can trust skidz). It's important that it has open sides. Anyone got anything, or will I need to create it myself? :)
Lark
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Lark »

i just noticed it but the combine have a triforce on there arm do they like zelda?
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

gtaiiilc wrote:i just noticed it but the combine have a triforce on there arm do they like zelda?
It's not a triforce. :) What you see on their arms is an ordinary combine logo fitted into a triangle. A little low res though...
Lark
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Lark »

Oniyuri wrote:
gtaiiilc wrote:i just noticed it but the combine have a triforce on there arm do they like zelda?
It's not a triforce. :) What you see on their arms is an ordinary combine logo fitted into a triangle. A little low res though...
i know it was a joke
Power-Mad
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Power-Mad »

Looks great!
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

NYARR! :pirate2:
I'm having a hard time solving all bugs caused by multiple events that could be triggered in different orders. It's not hard, just much. I just finished off the last known bugs in a room with tripwire lasers and lots more. Now I'll have the linear part of the map ready in no time. Only a few security systems to install at the reactor. :)
[GU]General Master
prop_static
prop_static

Post by [GU]General Master »

The maps looks good so far. Can't wait for it.

Whats with all the Star Trek Avatars.
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

Tantrum is getting close to the first release. As for now I can only give you this:

Don't await version b1 to be that good. I've never made coop maps before and difficulty will need to be balanced. Some parts may be very hard right now. Also, don't complain about the final fight not beeing enough spectacular. It will be better in future versions. Also I need a chopper model and the next patch to be able to finish the ending properly.
That's all for now! Stay tuned in the map releases section! That's where you'll hear about tantrum next time around! Until then: Good bye!
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

As some of you have noticed I've been away for a while. Now when I'm back the plan was to carry on the work on tantrum, but that's not the way things have turned out. Ever since I started mapping it have been consuming me and have used every minute of spare time and have made me a computer addict as well as depressed. School have suffered too.
Now I've made up my mind to stop mapping for good, which means that at least I won't carry oin the work on tantrum. Many times before I've tried to stop, but this is the ultimate try.
Good bye mapping! Good bye hammer! Finally I'll get more time to play games.
I will still support the mod by playing it and I'll upload the .vmf for tantrum.

oc_tantrum_b1.zip

Anyone who's interested may use any parts of tantrum without asking or giving cred. Now it's up to you if we're gonna get any patches for the map, capice?