oc_lived_v1d

Show off work in progress maps.
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

oc_lived_v1d

Post by Vasili »

Oh fraking hell not this shit again.

Yes you're right, I am making another map, but I AM TRYING on this one, Blues gave me some help setting up the fade thing for the teleporter, and I'd say it's going nicely now.

Now as some of you may know, oc_Lived was a short map, and a similar map, oc_noise was also small. So I thought, why not connect them together? So I did.

Basically, the first part involves you taking a slightly longer way to work because you can't find your car or something.

The Second part involves you going home via your car which is in the car park of the Office area, you only have to get to it and get past the large spider in the way.

Now that you understand, I'm going to post some pictures of the map.

Now, if you remembered the old Lived and Noise, please make some suggestions for me to include in this version.

Current To Do List:
Redo Geography in starter area. (5%)
Table (Done%)
Outside at the end (30%)
Lighting in general (30%)

Constructive Criticism or Go away.

(Also the pictures apart from the one with the Big Momma in are done when I play OC on fullscreen mode, thus making it super huge and ugly.
Last edited by Vasili on Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blues
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Blues »

Lighting in the rooms: Ceiling is black, but rooms are lighted = not good :(

For the lights in the room with the scientists - same thing there, the room should look as if it's lighted by these 2, not by lights without source that don't even reach the ceiling. :)

Is this a black texture (like toolsblack) or did you only put point_spotlights there for the lighting?

Edit: Okay, this will become a bigger post now.

Room with scientists: You should consider some improvements regarding the table's brushwork. Like this the wooden parts just look like some kind of hunk.

Big Momma: Plain brushes = doesn't look good. Try to use displacements here, your eyes will thank you. You might also add some foliage or grass.

Couch thingies where the soldiers lie: These need to be more detailed. Maybe they should even be models. At least you need wood or metal and a matress there. Now they look like some stone where an old heathen culture would sacrifice people to their gods.
Last edited by Blues on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image Image

Excuse me for being rude. I'm usually drunk while posting.
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

Lighting in everything I do seems to cock up somewhere, but it does do it properly in some other places, but I'm sorting some other stuff out first.

I'll fix the brushwork in there, it was only a placeholder anyway to make room for the teleport area.

That Big Momma Photo is old. the walls of that canyon-ish type place are displacements, I'll add some bushes etc...
Couch thingies where the soldiers lie: These need to be more detailed. Maybe they should even be models. At least you need wood or metal and a matress there. Now they look like some stone where an old heathen culture would sacrifice people to their gods.
Again, same thing with the desk, just a place holder.
Blues
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Blues »

Me has an idea: Use the HL² metal pipe bed and matress.
Image Image Image

Excuse me for being rude. I'm usually drunk while posting.
JerC
Donator
Donator

Post by JerC »

Lol Gandorques Hikla is a Doctor!
Please don't take my posts before 2013 too seriously. It will be better for both you and I :c
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

-=jerC=- wrote:Lol Gandorques Hikla is a Doctor!
That's a joke you might not understand unless you know him.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

It looks a little leaky, looking at those dark cielings or perhaps its just your lights. Whicheva, V. I've got respect for you so take my critism onboard, decompile a Valve map and look at a light_entity
Yes you can just add a light and not even set any Values but I think you should play abit more with your lights.
see the 50% falloff and 0% falloff and maximum maxdistance? you know how this works right?

Always the start like:

50% Value = say 64
0% Value = say 128
Max Distance = say 256 or 512.

Basically the next Value has to be higher than the previous - Hammer Rule #90001.

As for the rest I like your Ideas. I miss gand and his audience shocking guitar rifts!
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

Ok...

Table looks normal.

Added beds for soldiers.

Lighting is working in the place that I put it, just need to put it everywhere else...

It's a bit late now though, so I'll work on it tomorrow.
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

Update: I've added an older unused Map that I never finished for reason's unknown to the map and made it decent.

And asside from Disapeering tables and getting the lights to work, it's going fine.

SPOOKY DARK ROOM!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Or to put it another way, is this correct for lighting?

Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

OK, does this look decent?

Ny
Phone Donator
Phone Donator

Post by Ny »

I'm not much of a map maker but let's put it as this. For a room to be lit from a single light source think how shadows and darkness in areas will look.

In your most recent picture you have a ceiling light but the lighting for that area is obviously not from your ceiling light because the walls above your light are too bright.

If it helps try turning a torch to face the ground in a dark room and you will understand what I mean
:nyoron:
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

You should almost never use light entities. Instead use light_spots pointed down.

And try to use light colors that correspond to realistic light values. White is almost never seen in the real world so it looks fake in a map. Give it a yellowish-brown tint or sky blue, but only slightly or it will look fake also.

Surround your map in a cordon box to seal it until you're ready to optimize otherwise the lighting won't work right. If you don't have leaks than ambient light will fill the areas behind the light_spot. If it still looks too dark above/behind the light_spot, then use a light entity in front of the light_spot with the same color but an intensity of 1 or 2.
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

Shiftey, why do you think I am using Light entities?

I'm using light_spot in that photo.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I disagree with Shiftey a little. If anything you should be using a combination of many.

For one light, there is no harm in having:

light,
light_spot,
point_spotlight,
and throw in an env_sprite for good measure.

Just make sure the flag's No Dynamic Light are checked.

Obviously it depends how and where the light is, and how good you want it to look Vs optimisation.

And yes Vasili the picture is better, just tweak the brightness a bit lower.
Also to improve it and not light up the whole room, tweak the distances the light can reach.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
[FTA]c0m4ndo45
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Post by [FTA]c0m4ndo45 »

It looks ok, but i think those textures are too 'flat'...

I'd adjust the configs on the lights and pick a better texture combination.
<Proud to be a gamer>