oc_hive

Show off work in progress maps.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: oc_hive

Post by fug4life »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I like the sound of the first two most, the others seem a bit npc_maker'ish. And really the second mode, is what I was aiming for.

There is an objective players will need to complete, it involves collecting 8 maybe more (I may have 3 different set amounts that need to be collected, pending what happens on mapspawn) items that will spawn at random throughout the level they will need to be taken to gain access to the boss room, before they can escape.
A couple of these items I will spawn in a couple of tricky to get to areas that will involve, some skill jumping. (what I'm hoping for here is that players will have to cover their team mates whilst one is attempting to reach these areas.

Currently as players collect more & more of the items, the antlion attack will increase. Also I think as players are returning the items to the boss room, I'll change behaviour so the antlions spawn behind you (outofsight) and close to the player, as if they are pursuing/chasing after you (pissed off).

I'm still thinking just to have the map as random as possible, so some days when you play, you'll find the map easy, others relatively difficult if not frustraing.

So as a whole the map is a survivor map, as you'll never know how its going to play out, the more possible combo's of everything the better.

As for the map start, I'm getting low on entities, I still like the idea of 3 lives, though your first live will be most important, I'm thinking to have players fully equiped on the first life where they must choose a class and enter the hive, then if they die they will be able to respawn in the pods twice, this time with very little weapons. So once players start to die, the chances of the players winning the map will become more difficult. There will be a chance to pick up the odd randomly selected and placed weapon, so if you died you'll have the chance to find a weapon.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

It's just a matter of replayability. Sure the map is random, but you'd still be doing the exact same thing over and over again, just with different (and sometimes not so much because it's random) variables. If you have 5 or 6 different minigames or modes that you can play in one map, people will go back to it a lot more. Choosing difficulty isn't a biggy, because it just states how many antlions are here or how much damage they do, but it's pretty much the exact same thing as normal difficulty. I really recommend having different modes to play, and you can include 3 "story" modes in which you just get whatever you need to do and get out. Like:

Easy Mode - Just antlions with low numbers.
Normal Mode - Antlions and antlion workers with increased damage and higher numbers.
Hardcore Mode - Antlions, antlion workers, and antlion guards (5 of them spawn in one map play, as minibosses), with even more increased damage and higher numbers.
And then the boss would either be an antlion guard or an antlion guardian (which drains your hp little by little) but that only spawns if you play hardcore mode.

I do like the idea of the whole "Your first life is your most important" concept, maybe implement that into the "story" modes...But again, it's your choice.
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I hear what your saying, and in some ways agree though I'm not sure where I'll find room to do it entity wise. At the moment I'm lacking foresight and vision aswell to map it all in.

The thing is this map is a spin off from other map projects that I may still bring into the picture.
recent thinking had me considering (a concept Shiftey used to talk about) of having one central map (a bit like a lobby) where you can choose probably many maps, but based around a series (a bit of a mini mod series), the series was going to take place on one island, this way I could include the game modes as different compiles of the map/maps.

For now I think I'll get something playable together and see where I am with entity limits, I have a feeling I'm getting close...

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

fug4life wrote:I hear what your saying, and in some ways agree though I'm not sure where I'll find room to do it entity wise. At the moment I'm lacking foresight and vision aswell to map it all in.

The thing is this map is a spin off from other map projects that I may still bring into the picture.
recent thinking had me considering (a concept Shiftey used to talk about) of having one central map (a bit like a lobby) where you can choose probably many maps, but based around a series (a bit of a mini mod series), the series was going to take place on one island, this way I could include the game modes as different compiles of the map/maps.

For now I think I'll get something playable together and see where I am with entity limits, I have a feeling I'm getting close...
Like "The Escape Series", a very famous "campaign" from Sven Coop?
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Never played much sven, but yes I had one or two more escape senarios up my sleeve's pluse maybe an assault and defence.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Alright, been quiet here.

I've got a load of modeling related programs installed, but before I start to learn, I pledged to myself I'd finish this map and meet mah deadline. So that's what I'm up to...

I've added a new vote regarding weapons, please vote! I do take note of the results. Incidentally the past 3 votes I've decided to go with the majority verdict.

Lastly, back to visuals trying to overcome some annoyances.

What do you think of this pod texture compared to the old one:

(new)

(old)

Thats about it for now, I'm just trying to overcome any issues before I move forward.

EDIT: Vote is up!
Last edited by fug4life on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by destiny »

new one looks good.
anime watcher and manga reader and doesnt care what others think of it.
Image Image
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

Both, but don't have more scripted weapons than normal weapons. They aren't the best weapons to look at while in use (sprite, recoil, effects wise).
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Voted. I also agree with above user.
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

DisConnected wrote:Both, but don't have more scripted weapons than normal weapons. They aren't the best weapons to look at while in use (sprite, recoil, effects wise).
There is some bug that prevents recoil animations from playing properly client-side, and i keep forgetting to investigate it more and find out when exactly it happens so i can report it to the bugtracker, f.
Dropping your weapon and picking it up again fixes that though.
PrplFlavrdZombe
Polygon
Polygon

Post by PrplFlavrdZombe »

Great work! The caves and tunnels look really slimy. Since the primary enemy are ant lions, have you though of introducing new ant lion variants as well as scripted weapons?
I liek Mudkips
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Ok, still working on visuals, and having a second sweep over the maps geometery adding stuff.
Things are a bit mashed up as I've been moving lots of things around so there are a few props that need to be shifted out of the way also texturing isn't really correct as cave_cubemaps are currently on out door textures (reason there is no fade between plain textures and textures with ss_bumpmaps).

So what's going on in the hive, well, I just ripped a hole in this ceiling, to let some more daylight in:

By fug4life at 2010-12-07

And I'm trying to expand outside areas in preperation for adding more outside areas to the map.
(old screenshot)
(new screenshot)

all this stuff WIP as always.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

The jungle part reminds me some missions/maps from CS/CS:CZ
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

^Yeah the props are from cs_jungle (shiroko's) and there's a couple de_aztec textures (will be more of this sort of thing).

Also here's a peek to give ya'll an idea of the size of the caves:

I'm working towards the 'two map' thing at the moment, there will be a surface map that'll tie into this map, the surface map will probably act a prequel and possibly sequel to this map.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

Lol walking around without any lights there would be a pain in the butt