oc_hive

Show off work in progress maps.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: oc_hive

Post by fug4life »

True & soon!

Cant even build cubemaps on the old computer, will switch soon, the pics now are just me being all excited with my progress and pimping like crazy.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

If you need, I can compile the map with HDR and run it maxed out. For pictures or to send back to you so you can see what it will look like in the end.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Once I finish the geometry to a final beta stage Im happy with, I'll switch pc's you've seen just about everything, except the web effect I have planned and npcs. So no more pics till then anyhow. Which will be done, I can run everything max on my new pc, thanks for the offer Gary but I'll be ok for now, another reason I havent switched pc is just I cant be bothered to move all the maps content over just yet, not while some of it is still wip.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

\O/ finshed painting all the geometry, did it the old fashioned way selecting x,y,z brushes seeing as the subdivide brush dosn't work with spartial.

Anyway that was a milestone out of the way. Now the migration to the new pc can begin!

EDIT: And whilst I'm at it, its high time I made my first backup off this map!?! (Note to one' self).

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Oh wow I just found out roughly how W0rf0x (or anyone else with a high-end rig) see's Episode2!

That's still just with default cubemaps. I'm quite impressed...

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Looks awesome, though I dislike some of the rocks, they really seem to stick out. It's either their lighting or texture.

Besides the rock problem, really great job here, looks very organic.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Cheers, yeah the rocks are shiroko's (from cs_jungle) and are a bit outdated, though I used because some of the models are consistent in texture with others (rocks with ferns).

I can try improve the textures, or make my own rock models with propper.

Or, what I was planning anyhow is to cover all rocks with a web, similar to how this picture looks, but without covering every inch of the ceiling, floors and walls.

So even though Ive painted all the geometry, Im now going to copy the whole map, change the texture to the web, add noise and then paint web chaoticly for the whole map, but not covering every part as shown above, much less to avoid tiling textures and repetativeness.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Quick update just so you guys know the map is still moving along...

So I managed to squeeze sometime this week, I've been trying to tweak some stuborn translucent materials and moving away from the visual side of things for a bit, I decided to node the whole map and I've managed to get two classes of npcs fully implemented:

I can't remember who suggested to add zombies, but whoever it was I took their advice, though I decided to go with fastzombies & fast_torsos. I dont think I'll have them fighting antlions, as I dont want to take the antlions focus away from the player, though if map is too tough I'll consider it an option. Anyhow these guys will spawn on map start in slightly different places and quantities.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Looking awesome man! Good luck with the rest.

Though the fog looks kinda blocky, that's the main problem with that stuff, to make it look good, it has to be expensive.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Thanks, the func_dustclouds look even worse (less transparent and brighter and blockier) because of HDR, if you compare the screenshots in my first post taken on old and new pc you'll see what I mean, Or play ocf_deadland in LDR and then in HDR.

I havent touched them since changing pc, and they're on the todo list. The worst thing and hardest to hide is how the particle clips the floor.

There is this disscussion here, (though you already know about it):

http://www.forum.interlopers.net/viewto ... =2&t=31667

I may work on my own particles to solve this.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Ah, I remember that topic.

Also, I was thinking, due to the fact that you don't have access to the OC codebase. You could also duplicate the particle "Particle/Smokestack" and rename the clone to "Particle/Sparkles", thus replacing it without touching code. Though, I don't know what other parts of the game use the "sparkles" particle, so it could cause visual glitches.

Another option would to be request a particle name keyvalue, I assume it wouldn't be hard to code.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

And then there were antlions...
It took most of this evening to figure out and remember antlions dont spawn when you use the antlion_maker to spawn a percentage of workers. Guess I'll be spawning those seperately. They work me just getting the percentage values wrong!

So antlions are in, antlionguards are also in, just grubs and workers left for the majority of the npc work to be complete!

I've put in lots of random spawn systems on just about every npc, so the chances of you playing the map with the minimum amount npcs is low and the chances of you playing the maximum npcs is also low in terms of odds, but there's a hell of a lot of randomness inbetween.
Last edited by fug4life on Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by destiny »

is the minigun also on the map or were you just using one of your wip to help you progress through map easier?
anime watcher and manga reader and doesnt care what others think of it.
Image Image
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

It'll be in the map.

Hopefully the map is scheduled for a christmas day release!

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

I'm thinking when this map starts, you can have people choose a gamemode, like in antlion attack. Like:

Normal Mode - Spawn in a pod without suffocating, someone needs to let you out, ammo and weapons respawn regularly. Just find a way out.

Hardcore Mode - Pods suffocate you, ammo and weapons take a long time to respawn, antlions have increased damage. Find a way out.

Survivor Mode - Spawn in pods without suffocating, survive as long as you can instead of finding your way out, no healing of any kind.

Timed Objective Mode - Spawn in pods without suffocating, do 3 objectives (say blow this up, steal that, place that here, etc...) and escape within a timelimit.

Antlion Extermination Mode - Spawn in pods without suffocating, deplete all the antlion templates without running out of lives.

Sounds like some extra work eh? But in the long run, it will add replayability, although you'd have to tinker with all the templates and Cvars through point_servercommands. But a map like this is perfect for different gamemodes, just because of the whole system.
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.