oc_hive

Show off work in progress maps.
Ny
Phone Donator
Phone Donator

Post by Ny »

I like the idea. Sounds a lot like what the AI director from L4D2 should be doing but never implemented
:nyoron:
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

AI director changes spawns and difficulty based on the player's item and health levels.

This is just going to be random, so you can never predict what tunnels are going to be open, how many enemy are going to be there or even where you start.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: oc_hive

Post by fug4life »

Today's lil update added a picture of a planned web effect, I'm not sure whether to have it encompass 95% of the map of just have little bits (like in ep2) say 15 % of the map.

See for yourselves in my first post (top screenshot).
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Today's update just in: Dynamic dead-ends! see first post!

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Not much to say apart from letting you guys know, I'm working on the map everyday. Things slowed up a little, I get to the part where I've got soo much to do I never know where to start next. Don't quote me but I'm hoping a month from now were all be testing this baby!

P.s I'm thinking of giving you only one life on this map, and the map will only allow a max of 32 players to join, before all spawns are exhausted.

Also I noticed W0rf0x mentioned the future possibility of adding rounds to maps if the map gets failed (when in lives mode).
If they pull it of it'll definately be implemented into the map if I can.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by destiny »

1live idea not a good one. poeple die fast sometimes and then they have to wait till either someone finishes map or everybodys dead.
anime watcher and manga reader and doesnt care what others think of it.
Image Image
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Maybe your right, its just the gameplay will be a bit like oc_breakout i.e I want the weapons to only spawn once, I would give the player maybe the odd weapon to spawn with and everything else you'd have to search for. Breakout has 2 lives right?
I'm just trying to make the map tough, so players dont bunnyhop all over the place. I've got one task the players will have to complete before they can escape into the boss room.

The map uses max displacements at the moment, and you'd think the map was huge, but in reality it isnt so I dont want players to be able to complete the map in under 5 minutes.

If the round system is added then all this wont be a problem.

P.s dont worry too much about the weapon, I'll make sure theres enough ammo to find.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by destiny »

the ammo i wont worry about but more about the gun itself.
anime watcher and manga reader and doesnt care what others think of it.
Image Image
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Added two screen shots of the jungle surface (just to keep this WIP topic alive) check the original post:

I'm going away camping for 4 days (yes, I know its October), I didn't want to show the surface, but I'm really struggling with just how the map will end up, I have 3 senarios in my head and all equal a map sequel, though I may extend the current map so that you venture via a back entrance into the basements of an aztec temple. Just to set up the scene for the following maps that can be added at a later date.

Oh added a poll concerning lives mode, have your say!

@garry, I hope you dont mind but yes you inspired me to take a look at that m4lam, I was planning on adding mainly custom weapons to this map (as many as possible), and I've been sifting through tons of weapons, trying to find the best with the least amount of bug fixing. Though I have to say the laser sight kills 10fps compared to default hl2 weapons, but if I can keep this map at good framerates then I'll add the m4lam and the socom pistol.

The good news is I've built the map so far on a very old computer, a computer so old it can barely run a map without npcs let alone with, so judging the good framerates I have in this map on this old computer, things should run great for the majority of you (I cant think of anyone running an older machine right now).

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Voted 3 lives, but only can i express a opinion when i´ll play it.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

RocketRunner
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by RocketRunner »

I voted for 3 Lives. It just seems appropriate for this map.
I usually run from rockets.
Pretty straightforward.
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

My idea: Everyone has one life, but throughout the map (say after you kill X amount of antlions) everyone gains a life. Or maybe you have to complete multiple objectives, and everytime you complete one everyone gets a life. But to start off everyone has one life, 3 is just too many. Plus considering everyone will constantly be healing and it's not like antlions are a real threat in groups of 5, even. Maybe have 3 lives at the start IF you increase the damage the antlions do, to like 30 hp per swipe. That way people won't go ramboing off, and actually work and stick together.

That's my take after experiencing Broken Escape with 1 life multiple times (PS: we got to the boss until we got raped).
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Ill go with the voters and give 3 lives, as much as I'd like one life gameplay its just not very noob friendly, and I dont want new players to disconnect from the map as soon as they die.

I'll add the lives via mapname_cfg.txt so server ops can change the lives to one if they so wish, also if the lives thing gets changed for 1.36 I can always change the system later.

Today I'm going to talk about the spawn system and how the map plays out and will put up a vote again.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Ok today I talk spawns and you can have your say as to the ideas you want to see.

So remember I show'd you this:

Well you actually spawn trapped inside them:

Currently you randomly spawn in them in areas thoughout the map (so players will most likely not spawn together and the team will be fragmented/displaced thoughout the map). Making that the map starts with the senario 'you wake up inside the pod, find your friends and escape'!

Currently you can crowbar youself out, and at the moment you need to as you're slowly dying from lack of air inside them.
So if you do nothing you'll eventually die inside the pod.

So the new poll is this:

1). should you atleast start with a crowbar so you can escape the pod yourself because your slowly suffocating!

2). should only another player rescue you from the pod, i.e you cant escape yourself!!! Also you'll die if left unattended and will loose a life and again respawn in a pod somewhere else (again suffocating). Obviously for this mode I'd slow the suffocating trigger hurt to a very slow rate.

****Next Forthcoming poll*****

1). you start the map as I say and your all displaced waking up in the pods all over the map

2). there is a specific map start area (where you enter the hive) once players have entered the hive, respawning dead players and new joing players will spawn in pods after that .

****Forthcoming poll*****

1). do you want a class based system something similar to oc_bunker or oc_warehouse_onslaught, where I equip players with specific weapon load outs.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Voted for the second option. More realistic, and more cooperative (unless you have some trolls in the game and left you die once and another time).
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos