OC_DDay

Show off work in progress maps.
Hickers
Vertex
Vertex

OC_DDay

Post by Hickers »

Hey, I just about finished my map and with just a little help it might be soon. I thought the mod lacked in team based maps with fighiting involved plus the coop element. So in my map the red are the attacking force were htey get a controlable landing craft and a set of different explosives in order to brake into trenches and walls. The blues on the other hand ar the defending force. The blues are made to be more powerfull then the reds to make it so they need to do multiple runs at the beech in order to win rather then train the way into it. There are objectives for the reds to do once in suck as find keys, batterys , destroy radar and rase the uk flag. Then a little and choppa battle out back. I havent got any fancy modeling software so its all just hl2 props but if good enugh for valve its good enugh for me. The teams side of the game could mean its good or bad so im prepered so change any part which people dislike and people opinion is welcomed in order to change anything. I made a little vid of stuff i filmed a few months back and but it on you tube if you want to view (i know about the "fine" spelling mistake lols)

note this was the beta and there are some changes.
Plus think every one helped is in the description but if anymore devs or anyone that thinks they need to be mentioned in any credits just say.
All thats left is to find a sutable sound track and it should be done.
Hope you enjoy and see you soon.
destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Re: OC_DDay

Post by destiny »

so basicaly its a vs map.
2 question what method do you have against poeple grabbing the controlable landing craft and driving or sailing over their own teammates?
and how do you make sure blue team doesnt keep killing red withouth them completing a single objective?
anime watcher and manga reader and doesnt care what others think of it.
Image Image
Hickers
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Hickers »

I have filter that alow only red to drive the boat plus the objects such as key and batterys are only can be moved by reds so blues cant hide them. Also its imposible to try to grav them off the map incade there is a red wanting to destroy game play.
If the boat is left on the beach and all are dead there is a spawn button to get it back. To stop people randomly pressing the spawn button when in use the button is able to killthe person pressing it when some on is controling. Also if some troll want to steel the boat and just not let people us it there is a two button system that alows to people to press at same time which caused the drive to be killed in case no admins are about. Im not sure about the two button thing incase 2 people want to troll and keep pressing them so i could use your opinion.

Just remembered there is a bug were if you have a strider in a team for some unknow reson were it spawns the rest of the team including hte strider shoot at it. so like the choppa and striders some times fire at them. not a mojor problem cos its sometimes. I tryed npc template, point template and even ai relationships but same thing happens. It works fine when they are not in a team so i dont know.
destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by destiny »

i see you thought it true against trolling. as for the 2 button kill how about somekind of cooldown that if pressed wen still in that mode it kills the poeple pressing it.
anime watcher and manga reader and doesnt care what others think of it.
Image Image
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Nothing wrong with a Vs map if its done right. Plus with steam works we might get a strong player base to support these maps.
I think this type of map needs to have enough in it to keep players enjoying, and you Sir, seem to have the right recipe.

I've thought about this type of map before and even there have been many of us who've experimented. The one thing we were all really lacking was good solid objectives or ample enough to keep that co-op feel for each team or had good objectives or lacked good use of npcs. This is why I think you might be on to a winner. It looks very Wolfenstein crossed with DustBowl (Which in itself is a winning combination).

Any one play the hl2 mod IronGrip the oppression? Its a RTS\FPS for one player who gets to spawn npcs and for the opposing players team its a co-op Vs the single player + npcs battle. Well that's the sort of stuff I'd like to see more of where one team essentially has full use of spawning npcs to fight against the Onslaughting player team. Yes biased but thats how a good Onslaught map should be I feel to succeed.

I guess Zombie Master you could also consider in this category. But with OC you can really stack the odds against the Red players in a way that hasn't been done before.

Just one thing to note, there are one or two 'issues' with 'certain' npcs (I say certain as I haven't tested all in a Vs senario). Where the npcs AI relationship or attack AI sometimes has trouble destinguishing which players to be aggressive to. I'd highly recommened you beta test with some friends to make sure the npcs attack the right team correctly and aggressively enough.

There are some exsisting Vs maps you might want to look at to help you.

oc_seamus (official map, teamplay with npcs on each team).
oc_vs_glory_v1 (teamplay with npcs on each team).
oc_vs_nichiyouyg_v0c (teamplay with npcs on each team).
oc_vs_onslaught (unreleased beta by W0rf0x, objectives, no npcs).
oc_vs_canyon_v2 (Vs map)

And there many more if you browse around.

Finally, G'luck with the map, favourited that YouTube vid!
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

Lol, I am doing a presentation on D-Day for my U.S. History class, was gonna make a map and do spiffy stuff to show the class.

Anyways, the map looks great but it can use some refining in some parts (like the fuse to break the wall, couldn't you parent the keyframe rope to the spark or something so it moves along w/ it? looks kinda akward atm lol)
Hickers
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Hickers »

Thanks fug for you nice comments :D
yeah the npc seem to work fine for each team when i tryed with others people playing (except the strider bug thing) the soldiers give you funny looks when you go near them but never shoot at team. Only been mapping for about 10 months were i started just practising using tools then started this for full map when i got a new pc in septerber were i could map for oc. So my rifnement for realism and so on am still working on. Made a new system for that fuse so it looks better now; seems the rope wouldnt go straight and had a little slack so it looked like that. Dont kno about parenting it to the robe i just peranted it to a train which follows the ropes path.
Axel hope you dont mind it being a Union Jack rased at the end lol but i have got rebels which are named US forces.
Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

Don't mind at all lol, I hope to see more screenies of updates in the future tho
PrplFlavrdZombe
Polygon
Polygon

Post by PrplFlavrdZombe »

Cool map. I can see a similar concept being applied to a lot of "defend the house" type games
I liek Mudkips