OC_MetalSlug

Show off work in progress maps.
Fighter
prop_static
prop_static

OC_MetalSlug

Post by Fighter »

Hello.
This is my first map for Obsidian Conflict, based on Metal Slug games. Thanks to Maestro Fenix for idea, when he wrote about thirdperson maps in Mapper's Medical Clinic thread I thought maybe I will can create map with Metal Slug style view. So I started, firstly I tried it with point_viewcontrol. I was able to aim up and down but camera was rotating with character and there was problem in Multiplayer so I had to try something another. 2D view using 'thirdperson' command with some settings was good, but I coudn't aim up and down, turn character, but finally I find command with which I can make perfect 2D view - thirdperson_mayamode.

Now about map, it features 2D view, you can aim up and down, and turn around. There will be several missions, as seperate maps or all missions in 1 map, I'm still not sure. You will respawn inside plane and jump off, without parachute. Many enemy soldiers to kill, some prisoners to rescue and boss in the end of every mission. I added only HMG yet, I should add most of MS weapons.

Short video:
[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

Character animations are little buggy, but I can't do anything to fix this.

Well, it's not too much, but now I will focus on making this map.
LivingWithGames
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Re: OC_MetalSlug

Post by LivingWithGames »

Good looking.
destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by destiny »

the no parachute is cause of low budget cost right?
as for gameplay looks good gives the feeling your playing metal slug.
anime watcher and manga reader and doesnt care what others think of it.
Image Image
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Have to say that is under HEAVY W.I.P.

Also, i´m working in the weapons: I can do the pistol, the machine gun, the shotgun, the dual machine gun and (maybe) the rocket launcher (maybe because you cant create a custom rpg, it will be the normal rpg, without the MS sounds).

About the sounds, well, we can use it freely as long as we dont use it for comercial issues, so it will ok.

A last thing. Fighter, i wanted say this the friday, but you get offline, so i left this for you: and if we use a HL2 theme instead of recreate the Metal Slug 2 levels?

I wish have a Fio model, but i dont have the level to model persons yet...
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

Baddtraxx
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Baddtraxx »

o .o...
just hav to say: looking gratefull forward to it.
JarskiFIN
Polygon
Polygon

Post by JarskiFIN »

Well this could be used to remake contra nes game in oc, that would be badass!
LivingWithGames
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Contra or Metal Slug,still nearly the same thing for me.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Looks great!

W0rf0x was working on something similar I believe...
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
LivingWithGames
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

As for the weapons,I found one with fits perfectly: The Uzis will be the 2H(DOUBLE HEAVYMACHINEGUN).

Thank god I play Metal Slug 4 a bit.In the arcade.
Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

It seems a hard to distinguish the place where you aim, too bad there isn't a cursor or aim helper.

I'd be cool to change the impact effects for bullets (I'm sure you can do this already) per weapon script so for every hit, it'd give a more vivid indication to where you just shot.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

BiElGaMe wrote:As for the weapons,I found one with fits perfectly: The Uzis will be the 2H(DOUBLE HEAVYMACHINEGUN).

Thank god I play Metal Slug 4 a bit.In the arcade.
I said that it was completely possible to do.
Axel_m3sh wrote:It seems a hard to distinguish the place where you aim, too bad there isn't a cursor or aim helper.

I'd be cool to change the impact effects for bullets (I'm sure you can do this already) per weapon script so for every hit, it'd give a more vivid indication to where you just shot.
I know. I'm trying different settings to get it.

DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

You jump out of a plane without a parachute? Sounds like someone invested in the Aperture Science Long Fall Boots.

Anyways, add more NPC's. Way more NPC's. See how you easily beasted that level on your own? Multiplayer would be a breeze. Maybe add powerups and stuff, like extra HP or damage for all players, etc... Music from the game (although I have no idea what game that is) would also be nice, and nicer brushwork with displacements and stuff. But, this is a WIP, so it's looking good so far.
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

DisConnected wrote:You jump out of a plane without a parachute? Sounds like someone invested in the Aperture Science Long Fall Boots.

Anyways, add more NPC's. Way more NPC's. See how you easily beasted that level on your own? Multiplayer would be a breeze. Maybe add powerups and stuff, like extra HP or damage for all players, etc... Music from the game (although I have no idea what game that is) would also be nice, and nicer brushwork with displacements and stuff. But, this is a WIP, so it's looking good so far.
The video was record ONLY TO SHOW THE CAMERA, not the gameplay. We are introducing new values and more stuff to do it like the original games (more or less).

About the difficulty, we thought first about put at 1hp the players and the common enemies, but we rejected it because unlike the MS games, the speed of the bullets are near to be instant, so we decide left the normal HP to all and adding lives to make it more arcade.

Also, if you didn´t hear nothing about the Metal Slug videogames, i recommend watch some gameplays:

An example (Metal Slug 2: Mission 1):

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

If you didn´t played it, you not are a gamer.

Xenire
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Xenire »

I know of Metal Slug and have always enjoyed old school side-scroll games in general. It doesn't seem like it would really work out so well for a Source map, but I look forward to seeing the outcome of the project and I hope it comes to fruition.
[tab=135]Salt.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Continue?

YES.

We found a way to get work the aim (up and down) and can walk/run forward and back. Now, we are working to make a laser pointer or a pseudo-crossair (3rd person anims are bugged in Source, so unless you have the Sniper rifle or another weapon that have a pointer, is hard to aim).

Nothing more at the moment (first, mechanics of the game, later the graphics).