oc_turmoil

Show off work in progress maps.
Umbrae
prop_static
prop_static

oc_turmoil

Post by Umbrae »

Early screenshots to be updated sometime soon.

"We've held up here for quite some time. We've operated right under the Combine's noses. However, within the past week everything has changed."

You and your squad of rebels have been quarantined by the Combine in a small section of the city. The Combine intend to deal with you a discretely as possible by starving you or forcing you to come out of hiding. So far it has worked quite well and you are running out of options. A large nearby warehouse seems that it may be your only hope for removing the quarantine.

Oc_turmoil focuses the story of a squad of rebels as they fight an impossible struggle against the Combine who possess superior technology, numbers, and a tactical advantage. It is up to you as the player to lead them to victory in an urban war against the entire might of the city.

Over the course of the map you are trapped in a section of the city featuring nine blocks each with its own unique feature. Every block has its own advantages and disadvantages for defending against the combine onslaught. It is up to you and your team to decide how to best use the features of the map.

You will be faced with:

-two dungeons including puzzles, traps, hidden supplies, and various hazards.

-ten waves of Civil Protection, each with unique enemies and with increasing difficulty (not necessarily length).

-ten waves of Combine, with unique enemies and increasing difficulty.

-three boss battles: Civil Protection, the Apartment Complex, the Combine.

The map will have a progressing storyline featuring...

Simon - The radio operator who complains a lot and refuses to help you.

Kathrine - The only surviving rebel who will actually fight on the front lines (besides the player).

Sam - The cheerful arms dealer who still insists on selling you merchandise even though there is an invasion going on (at least the pistols are free).

Gerald - The quiet scientist that doesn't really do a whole lot until he suddenly makes the most useful contribution.

And of course You the Player(s)! - The Player(s) that do all of the hard work and destroy half of the map in the process.

I hope to have this map finished sometime in the future. Exactly when I'm not sure, but in the mean time enjoy some screenshots/ inconsistent updates. Also feedback is always highly appreciated. :)
Last edited by Umbrae on Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:24 am, edited 6 times in total.
~Umbrae~
Umbrae
prop_static
prop_static

Re: oc_turmoil

Post by Umbrae »

The first thing you're going to notice is that aren't very many shadows, and that there isn't very much color in the decals. That's because I haven't yet added lights to cut back on loading times, until I get the opening cinematic fully set up. Otherwise those issues should be fixed with the next batch of screenshots when I start to really work on the warehouse.

So here's the story. You are rebels that have been operating under the combine's noses in this area of the city. Everything has gone smoothly, until recently when everything drastically changed. The combine caught a whiff of something and quarantined this small section of the city, in an attempt to starve out any activity. Unfortunately it's worked quite well and supplies are running low. Your only hope is to infiltrate an old abandoned combine warehouse in hopes that there might be a working console inside, which can shut down the shield generators outside. The only problem is you have no idea what's inside that warehouse. You will notice in the fully lit last screenshot a view of mines inside an air vent system. That's going to be your way in, and unfortunately the entire place is full of traps. This map will also use lives mode, so be careful.

The below screenshots of this post are outdated, and will be updated when I take some new ones.

Last edited by Umbrae on Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
~Umbrae~
Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

Umbrae wrote:
-Explosions... yes lots of explosions and wreckage.

-Music that adds to the storyline/ events.

-Good details and cinematic features.
oc_MichalBay_featHansZimmer_vTHETURMOIL
Umbrae
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Umbrae »

Ok so I went back and fixed a lot of things (including the lighting) and then added a lot of things. Now floor 1 of the warehouse is finished for the most part. Simon is going to act as sort of a subtle guide, giving some hints/ suggestions, as well as adding some commentary to the map. After the initial cut scene (which still needs a tiny bit of work transitioning in between the view cams) He'll give you some more background information (and to explain why you can hear him in the middle of an abandoned warehouse).

"Simon: Testing... Testing... Ok good it works."

"I'll keep in touch with you via this headset."

Without further delay here's some screenshots of current progress.

Coop on this map will be strongly recommended, but not forced. So it will be possible to do it solo, just very difficult. For example it requires 2 people to open the main doors to the warehouse allowing access to the outside, while the players are clearing the warehouse. Simon will not be completely useless and leave a respawning healthpack on the front doorstep, throughout the duration of the warehouse part of the map. That source of respawning health will be extremely useful, seeing as this map will use lives mode. The warehouse doors are blocked by a shield that uses the two button system to bring down. Each of the consoles are on different sides of the fences, so being a fast runner won't enable a single player to do this.

Next on my to do list is to make some minor tweaks/ fixes to current content in the map, and to finish F2 part 1 of the warehouse.

Feel free to leave any comments/ suggestions below.
Last edited by Umbrae on Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Umbrae~
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

The pick-up still without having glass, you can see their inside (that is void).
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

Umbrae
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Umbrae »

After taking a long break from mapping, it looks like I am finally back at work. I've got a much better idea how I will develop this map, and I probably shouldn't set deadlines, but I am hoping it will be done in about 3-4 months (because I still hope to have a testable version of oc_necro by Halloween like I promised). So without further delay here's an update!

I'm still finishing up the warehouse. The warehouse will be essentially the puzzle part of the map.

Here's a view of an office space on the 2nd floor. You may notice that the cork board is retextured to the NH2 texture. That is because I currently have NH2 content installed for working on oc_necro. That will not be visible in the released version of the map, because it is a client-side retexture.

Here's the water maze on the bottom floor. Water + electricity + crates... Everyone's favorite type of maze. :)
The was fading away as I took the screenshot, so if it's hard to read that's why.

Here's a view of the first room on the 3rd and final floor.
Last edited by Umbrae on Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Umbrae~
Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

Not the final lighting process I hope? You could definitely have ambience in some of those rooms (ie. warm lamps in the weapons room signifying a safe place to hold up in or an eerie blue in the electric water maze to match that murky water.)
Umbrae
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Umbrae »

Just for an update since it has been so long. I am still working on this map, despite the lack of updates, and the fact that it is taking way longer than I originally stated (as expected). Oc_necro has just been bumped to a priority, because that also hasn't been updated in a long time, and I have just been taking a break due to Hammer issues. Ideally this map will be completed sometime in the next 365 days, along with oc_necro.

Also I am taking into consideration all comments and advice posted. Thanks. :)
~Umbrae~
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

If the issue with Hammer is crashing when using the VGUI model select, switch to the game configuration of HL2 (tools->options), then restart Hammer. When you finish placing props, switch to OC again.

Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

I think I had that crash waaay back when, disabling the VGUI model selector and switching over to manual folders fixed it for me. (Might or might not be true)
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Axel_m3sh wrote:I think I had that crash waaay back when, disabling the VGUI model selector and switching over to manual folders fixed it for me. (Might or might not be true)
The problem with this is that you can't check the type of the model (static-physic-dynamic), or the skin/collision model.

Umbrae
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Umbrae »

I've been hesitant to post an update on this map for a while, because oc_necro has been my main concern, however I think an update for this work in progress is long overdue. So here some screenshots are...

The water maze has been made more profitable, and more deadly. There will be various weapons and other nice things lying around, but they will be hard to get to. If you fall in the water you will only have a few seconds to get out.

As you can see the 3rd floor has turrets and other fun surprises.

The 3rd floor is just about completed now!
Last edited by Umbrae on Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Umbrae~
Umbrae
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Umbrae »

Wait could it be? An update?! Wow it's really been a while on this map. Yes, it seems that I have made a great amount of progress since the last post over a year ago. In fact there might even be an alpha sometime in the future, but that's being a bit too optimistic at the current moment. Anyways, I've added a lot of buildings and made the map more pretty. I've also continued the map past the warehouse. Before I get into a long post about what's been added/changed, here's some screenshots!

An excellent view of the park contrasted against the background of the Government District.
Now presenting the Residential District.
The Financial District.
The Industrial District.
And the Government District.
Now with a restaurant!
A nice house!
And that apartment complex that will probably be your death when you're forced to go through it about halfway through the map.
Now with more scanners! (custom name to be added later)
And of course! Lots and lots of Civil Protection.

Coming sometime in the future to a quarantined city block near you.
Last edited by Umbrae on Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Umbrae~
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Not bad.

Umbrae
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Umbrae »

I think it's about that magical time for an update (or many). Yes, this project is not dead and I am back to work again. What have I been working on recently? The screenshots don't exactly show it, but I've been working on pathing the entire map and adding assault points, ai scripting, enemy finders and all sorts of other things to make the map more challenging (read: your life more difficult). The map will have a last stand sort of feel. If you're running around in the open, the squads will spot you and relay your location to every npc on the map. The map should be challenging at least.

One of the loudspeaker/ camera systems. You'll want to stay away from those.

Finally a view inside of your base of operations (the real base is in the basement). The lighting is a bit boring, but I will probably change that.

And the only other room besides the entrance to the basement.
~Umbrae~