oc_archhall

Show off work in progress maps.
tomgreen
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by tomgreen »

This is my suggestion as b4 in the piant shop pic just done way better in hlf2 graphics. Maybe make a room like this. http://www.obsidianconflict.com/forums/ ... .php?t=820
Dark_Mage2
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Dark_Mage2 »

Hey im back! Btw- no. I know you want your awsom ideas to come to life but you should start mapping rather than asking others to map for you.
Anyways im tired so I might only continue mapping tomorow, but I might add a bit today if I drink enough coffee. :coffee:
tomgreen
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by tomgreen »

Nah It was just a suggestion. Im to lazy to figure out coding for maps. Hell if you could put me behind a computer with just building the maps without the coding just like archetectures I would make great map, but its all the files and coding and programs you need to buy that scare me off.
unconnected
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by unconnected »

tomgreen wrote:Nah It was just a suggestion. Im to lazy to figure out coding for maps. Hell if you could put me behind a computer with just building the maps without the coding just like archetectures I would make great map, but its all the files and coding and programs you need to buy that scare me off.
Er, what aspect of vanilla mapping requires any coding or 3rd party programs other than the Source SDK?

I only use Hammer, sometimes VMEX and Entspy, but they're only for decompiling. Oh and I use good old fashioned notepad occasionally.
unconnected
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by unconnected »

Dark_Mage2, what can I say? Awesome! The volumetric lights and dustmotes add the perfect finish to that first room. Well done :)

Regarding your issue with moving the combine away from the hidden spawn point, did you use the assault system? If not you should consider it in future as its perfect for a situation like that (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Assaults).

The next hall looks great by the way, in terms of textures have you thought about pilfering the ones from CSS? de_dust springs to mind ;)

Those arches look great, but have you considered making them into displacements and then using the sub-divide function? Using that on the supports would turn them into lovely looking pillars and make them that much more attractive.

Have you thought about how you're going to get the enemies into this room assuming that you'll be spawning them (i.e. instead of just using a static number of enemies) - you could perhaps open up the ceiling and have combine rappel in - think oc_bunker and you'll know what I mean.

Anyway, it's looking great and I'm looking forward to more updates!
Dark_Mage2
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Dark_Mage2 »

First im going to look into lighting the 2nd room. Il mess around with displacement pillars and arches some time this week also. I probably will have rappeling combines in one room or another but not this one.

It would also be nice if someone could help me out with combine-ness.

Have lights working now.

Lights in room2

Lights in room2 again

Lights in room2 again again

For now I want the light done, if you dont like it then il try improve.
tomgreen
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by tomgreen »

Torches would fit the rooms atmospheric karma more.
Dark_Mage2
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Dark_Mage2 »

They would now, but they wont.. later.
Kinhoshi
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Post by Kinhoshi »

Looks very nice. I can't wait to see this map finished. :P
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

Looking like an excellent map you are making there, cant wait :D
unconnected
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by unconnected »

Is there any more updates on this good looking map?
I am the Devils Advocate
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

What you have there looks great. Keep up the good work! Looking forward to this one. :D
worbat
Vertex
Vertex

Post by worbat »

Brilliant map there dark mage keep it up,

i have 1 small idear for the 2nd room, what about 2 turrets on the top arches that slide across the arches. I dont know if this is posible but it would look cool:)
HBK
Banned

Post by HBK »

Looks nice.
Kinhoshi
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Post by Kinhoshi »

I hope this gets updated, it's been nearly a month. :(
Last edited by Kinhoshi on Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.