The Angel Beats! Project [Possible Spoilers]

Misc work in progress screenshots etc...
dormantlemom
Polygon
Polygon

Re: The Angel Beats! Project [Possible Spoilers]

Post by dormantlemom »

Keychain wrote:May I see the progress? Feel free to add me on Steam so we can keep your content private, if you wish.
give me a week since my current version is still kind of iffy due to lack of textures etc. . I expect to make vast changes by next friday so ill post a few screenies somewhere then. At present it certainly doesn't measure up to your work :)

My steam id is: 1nf1n1ty484
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

Sounds fine to me, and all righty.
dormantlemom
Polygon
Polygon

Post by dormantlemom »

ok. so just a teaser of MY mornings work for my project. Bear in mind it didn't take me very long and its untextured and incomplete along with some incorrect proportions (its basically only the shell with the core floor and stairs inside)

Its the mess hall (if you havent guessed :P) and it still has a long ways to go. (I based this of screenies from episode 1. However, it was probably just me, but i found interior sizes of the building were disproportionate to the outside of the building so there are a couple of sections that are a little off.

Also the map has a few bad solids in it (239 of them for some reason, but it loads fine other than a couple of errors ill fix later [none are visible in screenie]). Ill upload the source if anyone wants it.
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

Hot damn.. I feel like I've got a run for my money.
dormantlemom
Polygon
Polygon

Post by dormantlemom »

I don't think so. Maybe some collaboration if my work improves. That building needs scaling up as well (maybe x1.5)
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

I would be honored to have you join this project! If you wish, anyway. Me and W0rf0x are the only real current mappers, but all I have W0rf0x do is fix some brushes since I somewhat wanted to do the entirely of this by myself (and W0rf0x is already busy with other more important OC things.) But if there's someone out there with the same objective as me, than why not work together? We won't have to worry about any unnecessary rivalries if we do.~

I'm also just realizing you're that guy I played OC with the other day. I had completely forgotten and didn't recognize you until now, hehe.
dormantlemom
Polygon
Polygon

Post by dormantlemom »

mmm. Ive found that such a project is just daunting (i found that shot of the entire Angel Beats! campus from birds eye view [its pretty massive]). Ill gladly help out where i can.

And yup that was me. I'm so pro :). I saw you on deathrun which i hadnt played for such a long time and couldn't resist joining
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

Aha! It was I and the SSS69 group having a game operation. T'was fun, thanks for joining.
dormantlemom
Polygon
Polygon

Post by dormantlemom »

a quick update on my work. no internet at home for the last week so steam has screwed me around. however i got some work done on the complete campus map (base layout is about 25 percent looking at the map from the topleft downwards (eg stairs and teachers area etc). no screenies as textures are broke in the modded non steam sdk im currently having to use, and the fact that im posting from a phone.

thanks

sent from my htc hd2
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

It's cool. This project is currently on hold for the time being because a lot has happened with the community for the past few days. I'm focused on a few more things for the moment. I'll be sure to send you a message when I get back to work.
dormantlemom
Polygon
Polygon

Post by dormantlemom »

ahh its cool mate. well i havent got as much as i wanted done and probably wont progress far til late june (my a levels are this year hence ive been studying like hell).

Update: Begun more work after readjusting my target. Progress has been made on a more linear version of the world, (basically the higher areas of the map, so from the steps on the left of the map to approximately the dining building). The basic design is now almost finished, and am almost ready to start detailing the entire thing, along with custom texturing.

Plans are to eventually build the entire school (so i can add alternate routes and modes to the final map [i plan on recreating episode 1,2 and 7 scenarios and possibly 8])
dormantlemom
Polygon
Polygon

Post by dormantlemom »

work is progressing, here are a few screens of my current build its entityless except a couple prop_static's and still largely untextured at all. But i reckon ive got the proportions relatively accurate, and thats the most important thing at present time:

Hope you folks like.

kinda related, but i have plans fro a few more source maps based of anime (specifically Highschool of the Dead, Panty+Stocking+Garterbelt[that should be awesome], perhaps Infinite Stratos and lastly Freezing, which i just watched and it inspired me).
PaSwG should be something unique if i get it right, and Freezing just inspired me from the get go

Off topic:
Freezing is underated in my opinion. It was given only about 6 or 7 in reviews ive seen. Honestly id give it a 9.5. Its obviously taken the Evangelion ideas and hence lacks originality, but it was insanely brillieant nonetheless. I compare it to Toradora in terms of brilliance (i i rank that bloody high up my list)
Baddtraxx
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Baddtraxx »

stupid question is stupid.
did u use sketchup for the building models?
Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

@Patchi: I think those buildings are brushes mah boi lol

@Dormant: Hey great work on the buildings but i say it looks like you're gonna run outa brushes soon lol
a good alternative would be Propper, it's simple and easy and I bet you can have extra detail if you get some of those supports for the windows and what not :D

http://www.obsidianconflict.net/forums/ ... 74&p=51627
dormantlemom
Polygon
Polygon

Post by dormantlemom »

yea they are all brushes any very basic at that (i never added proper deatil or textures, only textures are there to tell me whats what (ie windows do have a window texture etc.) i will produce some models, probably with sketchup or (maya if it comes to it, although i lack proficiency with it)

Axel_m3sh wrote: @Dormant: Hey great work on the buildings but i say it looks like you're gonna run outa brushes soon lol
a good alternative would be Propper, it's simple and easy and I bet you can have extra detail if you get some of those supports for the windows and what not :D

http://www.obsidianconflict.net/forums/ ... 74&p=51627

Yeah the buildings are almost all world brushes. (im at 67% used at present + 80% brush vertex's used) i am relatively new to hammer so im still experimenting with stuff (i used to map for UDK which is basically the opposite of the basp system). Most stuff will probably be rebuilt entirely before im ready to release anything.

Thanks for pointing that tool out for me. Certainly looks extremely useful for this, as cutting down on brushes should hopefully cut down compile time a bit.

On another note, i need to find a method for greater optimisation of huge outdoor areas (vrad now crashes out once it hits about 1.07gb of ram [yea it does crash, CPU usage suddenly hits 0]). Map runs fine though. It probably fails partly down to a bit of carving i did (although it was only carving cubes through other cubes so not really a problem)

by the way the first map release will definitely be for CS:S, but i will release a general map later. The purpose of this is that i wish to recreate the AB! episode 1 plot. So basically
spawn--->playing field--->hospital---->SSSHQ---->dining hall.

------------------------

I am finding difficulties in buiding a night to day system within a small base map i did in order to tie in with episode 1 story which runs through a 24hour cycle. I know its possible (ive seen it done in another map by a guy named Hannibal [ze_lotr_helms_deep is the map]). I imagined doing it by introducing a 'fake' skybox in front of a skyboxt hat i can add and remove via triggers. however, this would mean that lighting would not change and even though a skybox has. But I guess this could be changed via triggers linking to different light_environments and a few other entities to modify lighting, such as env_fog too.
Another issue i expect to come up with that is lighting on props, specifically the stock plants from HL2. Ive seen other try night with these props, but shadow and tone do not change from their daytime appearence (i havent tried this myself yet, so this is more just an expectation that a problem), so i need to work out whether this will be a problem and a solution if so when the time comes.

Ill post this somewhere else as its not really the best place to put it later
--------------------------------