Miss Eleksin
npc_metropolice
npc_metropolice

Post by Miss Eleksin »

Littlejohny wrote:Hey
A open beta is another good idea. So everyone can test
a little bit 1.35.

great work OC ;)
Beta testing should NEVER be made open to the general public. That would be chaos in order to fix bugs and such.

On a side note: lol delay
Image Image Image <--- Click them for music :3
Rukus
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Rukus »

I hate it when mods pull a Black Mesa.

IE setting a release date and get so damn conflicted with user feelings that they wait until the last minute to announce a delay, which ironically pisses people off even more than if they had not set the date in the first place.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Sounds like you should go buy an X-box or Playstation, the mod scene is not for you.

1). The month isn't over.
2). I'd rather the mod delayed than nothing at all.
3). Would you prefer a mod pushed out the door and risk 'show stopping bugs' resulting in a quick fix patch having to come a week later meaning server operators would have to update their servers twice, meaning that probably no one would bother and the whole thing would be a mess!

Edit: Lower your expectations to avoid dissapointment.

:rasta:
Last edited by fug4life on Sun May 30, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Andrax17
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Andrax17 »

fug4life wrote:Sounds like you should go buy an X-box or Playstation, the mod scene is not for you.

3). Would you prefer a mod pushed out the door and risk 'show stopping bugs' resulting in a quick fix patch having to come a week later meaning server operators would have to update their servers twice, meaning that probably no one would bother and the whole thing would be a mess!

i agree with this one..

i rather want to have mod delayed than mod that is rushed and unfinished/full of bugs.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Though not to say that there might be bugs that'll appear, and a quick fix patch or w/e may still have to come.

I'm just trying to say this is how the cookie crumbles. Microsoft delays and patches their shit, Valve too, dont expect anything different.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

i already get spammed in steam of where the update is and seeing that in here to makes me kinda rage and not want to release it at all, god damnit
Geosmith
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Geosmith »

People have to remember that you're not getting paid to do this, you're doing this on your own time because you want to. Anyhow, I'm kinda glad it's not out yet because I have some errands to run the next two days, haha.
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Couldn't agree more to wait fug and Geosmith said, i hate it when people act like we are full-time employed video game developers.

A delay might disappoint you, but in case a mod needs to be delayed, you'd be more disappointed if they would just squeeze out a release, there are always good reasons for a delay.
Spectral
Pixel

Post by Spectral »

Yep, we should give the dev's more time. A delay is always better than a crappy release.
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

Especially with this HL2 and EP1 update. It's caused the campaign co-op to act funky and crash due to the map geometry.
Rukus
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Rukus »

fug4life wrote:Sounds like you should go buy an X-box or Playstation, the mod scene is not for you.

Edit: Lower your expectations to avoid dissapointment.

All i'm saying don't set a release date you know you can't make is all.
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

shut up.

You never know if you can hold it or not.
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

Rukus wrote: All i'm saying don't set a release date you know you can't make is all.
Do you know what it's like to actually work on a popular mod? No? Didn't think so.

Things change, sometimes for the best, sometimes for the worst. We don't need idiots like you telling us what we need to make the release date to be. Because as far as I'm concerned, we don't give a frak. It's not like we KNEW Valve was going to update HL2 and Ep1, thus causing some things to break in OC.
Dr.Nick
Pixel

Post by Dr.Nick »

I work with another mod and I can say that yeah, people are naturally impatient when you set a release date on things, often times it's better not to since anything could happen between now and then to push that time back. But I agree that the public has to understand that this is a mod that the creators are spending their time and effort doing for free. You have to respect that and give them some credit. Also don't hassle them =P
Rukus
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Rukus »

I'm not being impatient, nor am I telling you what to do. I'm simply dissapointed with the fact that you knew they updated it 4 days ago and you knew it would cause problems and didn't give everyone a heads up then.

On that note I'm done with this conversation. Its just going to explode further, and I don't want any problems.