Merry Christmas!

Obsidian News Archive.
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Re: Merry Christmas!

Post by DisConnected »

Neico wrote:
DisConnected wrote:How do we know if devs are doing work on it if there's no updates? :roll: And since progress has been made, can we get an update on it all please?
Easy, because we say that we're working on it ...

and a hint: I've stated many times already that visiting http://bugs.obsidianconflict.net and http://twitter.com/ObsidianMod is a very good way of knowing that we're still at it...
I say I'm cleaning my room and not drinking too. Big whoop. The infamous "Pics or didn't happen" phrase comes in very comfortably here.

Besides, fixing a bug isn't making content like you're all saying you are doing. And your twitter consists of "K, twitter's up", "Hey guys come look at this video," and "Oh hey in case you haven't checked the bug thingy, we just fixed a bug!" No really, thanks for providing proof that you've been actually doing something. Do what Worfox just did with those screenshots, except now make it an update page that actually has everything you did in the past 11 months.

Give us updates on all these new weapon models you've been doing, these new maps and new arenas for cardwar you've been making. I'm sure you have a lot to post. After all, it's been 11 months since the last update.
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

It doesn't have to be god damn visual content every single time someone's working on it. Progression includes many categories of producing; whether it's making a map, coding some new features, or fixing bugs. It's obvious the devs are at work because they're active and claim to be working.

I can safely say I used to see W0rf0x in Source SDK at least 3 times a week for many hours. I can safety say Tesla has been coding his brains out (he's in the SVN client like every day) before he was deployed a few days ago. And I can safely Nirrti has been working on some cool models for not only OC but other mods as well.

Calm yourself, I seriously can't tell if you're purposely trying to cause ruckus or not.
LivingWithGames
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by LivingWithGames »

Damn,I was about to agree with DisConnected here but after I saw Key's post,I have taken back my words.
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

Keychain wrote:It doesn't have to be god damn visual content every single time someone's working on it.
There haven't been any updates at all.
Keychain wrote:Progression includes many categories of producing; whether it's making a map, coding some new features, or fixing bugs.
So they should have at least some WIP to show for it. And seeing as it's been 11 months, a lot of late stage WIP too.
Keychain wrote:It's obvious the devs are at work because they're active and claim to be working.
Go the front page. I don't see too much proof of any work being done that wasn't done in December, except 2 screenshots Fox put together.
Keychain wrote:I can safely say I used to see W0rf0x in Source SDK at least 3 times a week for many hours. I can safety say Tesla has been coding his brains out (he's in the SVN client like every day) before he was deployed a few days ago. And I can safely Nirrti has been working on some cool models for not only OC but other mods as well.
So wouldn't they have a lot to show if they've been going at it for 11 months?
Keychain wrote:Calm yourself, I seriously can't tell if you're purposely trying to cause ruckus or not.
I just find it disappointing that the last update was nearly a year ago. That's a sure sign of a dead mod for tons of people. How many people might've ditched the mod when they saw that post on the home page? You guys are always talking about how the playerbase is small, well why don't you do something to expand it? There's absolutely no excuse for a thriving mod to not have an update in 11 months, unless of course, shit just isn't getting done. It only takes so much time to put together a bunch of pictures of some work and write some letters in to hit the post button. You even said yourself you agree.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

The only person who is complaining this much is you. I agree there should be more media updates but unfortunately I am unable to increase nor inspire the possibility of that happening like I used to. Instead of complaining you should formally ask the developers to show off their work more than they do now.

The possible issue here is probably because most of the developer team members are quite mute-ish whom mostly keep to themselves. You don't see them here interacting with the community very much, do you? Not going to say any names but I think it's obvious who and who isn't partaking in the community. The community is what keeps OC alive and I think they should ALL do their part in acknowledging the very people that follow them and give them their reasons to do what they do.
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

Keychain wrote:The only person who is complaining this much is you. I agree there should be more media updates but unfortunately I am unable to increase nor inspire the possibility of that happening like I used to. Instead of complaining you should formally ask the developers to show off their work more than they do now.

The possible issue here is probably because most of the developer team members are quite mute-ish whom mostly keep to themselves. You don't see them here interacting with the community very much, do you? Not going to say any names but I think it's obvious who and who isn't partaking in the community. The community is what keeps OC alive and I think they should ALL do their part in acknowledging the very people that follow them and give them their reasons to do what they do.
Wait, wait, wait. I think you got the community and devs mixed up, or just worded it in the most confusing sageway ever.

Are you saying that because devs are too shy of people seeing their stuff, and that's a good excuse for not releasing work? Then what the hell are they doing on a development team in the first place? Development teams make and then release stuff, so I hope they were informed that eventually their work will be out in public. And/or if they're just shy but still contribute and release work, then that doesn't affect the situation either. I don't see how giving Worfox some screenshots is interacting with the community whatsoever.

Or are you saying that certain people don't partake in helping out in OC which are in the community? Communities are like fanbases, you don't need to contribute to one to be apart of one. Which is also the reason I hope you aren't saying this, especially because the people being discussed are dev members.

But you mentioned community in there a bunch. Don't know why you brought the community into this, but this is about the development team, the community has no control over content being released except their own. And I did ask, multiple times. Guess it's only being thrown into consideration now. And yeah, I guess for some reason I'm the only one arguing towards having more media updates. For some reason extremely strange reason, people are arguing against having them, or giving lame reason why they can't come.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

I think you're missing the point of how work flow goes...

First of, no one is forced to work on this mod or gets charged for it (no, donations don't count as they come from the community on a voluntarily basis)
Meaning that we have to get money for our lives too (ok I don't yet but school is also a point to consume time), meaning that we work on our free time, remember that...

I don't like it very much if someone complains about things that he has no clue of what's going on behind the scenes, if we have something to show then we'll show it (it can happen that it comes as a surprise batched up together)

If you don't it then feel free to hit a wall or something but please stop with that here or I'll take some other actions (the first one being closing every thread in the news archive since most threads are pretty old by now)

Also, for example: Tysn doesn't really want to show his maps in beta state to the public because he fears complains etc. which is understandable, you're being a perfect candidate here...
It's one of the reasons why the beta isn't available for everyone...

God, forcing me to write that much text, you owe me one now... Anyways, we also have some internal things to take care of so, please get some air or something and stop bothering now, you'll get your news soon enough (it's not like we want to keep everything a secret because as Keychain said: the most important thing about OC is it's community)

PS: feel free to ignore a bit of this post here if I've said too much (I'm half brain-dead because I'm still not sleeping and keep writing this post...)
*sigh*

PPS: I've you've read the newest twitter message then you might be able to guess what I meant with "batch it together"
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Also just a few posts back i said that i was going to prepare a sort of dev blog video to show you guys most of what's been going on over the last months. You can expect it to be posted this week so stop moaning about no news, i get where you're coming from and even agree with some of it.
There's more I'd like to add to this discusion but i'm typing this on my phone because i can't sleep like always and i don't feel like composing a bigger post on this.
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

Pretty much sums up all I have to say.
Apparently, Valve can't make games beyond the number 2.
I think the only time we'll get a Source SDK code update is when it starts having purchasable hats integrated, i.e. hatconomy.

Please do not make assumptions you are not knowledgeable enough to make - that just backfires on yourself.
Tick me off, and I'll be sure to give you the golden treatment. Haven't you heard? Silence is golden.
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Neico wrote:I think you're missing the point of how work flow goes...

First of, no one is forced to work on this mod or gets charged for it (no, donations don't count as they come from the community on a voluntarily basis)
Meaning that we have to get money for our lives too (ok I don't yet but school is also a point to consume time), meaning that we work on our free time, remember that...

I don't like it very much if someone complains about things that he has no clue of what's going on behind the scenes, if we have something to show then we'll show it (it can happen that it comes as a surprise batched up together)

Exactly. For example i´m not forced to develop the 4 proyected maps and the models, but if i´m doing it is because i want.

Disco, you want updates? look every single steam photo of Neico, f0x and rest of devs, and follow the progress done for the community.
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Hi guys, dont be too hard on Disconnected, he has some valid points.

For us forum goers we've been able to see the team taking on new team members here n thar, the team has probably doubled in the past year. So there is a hint for us that something is going on. But for everyone else it can seem like things are deathly quiet.

I've access to the Beta side of this forum and its been quiet there, but there is also a Team-member section and I believe\suspect its been busier in there. Somethings did make it to the Beta part of the forum, So I can vouch and say this mod is moving along nicely. ;)

Edit: @ W0rf0x and Team, I like what I see in the modb pics!
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

fug4life wrote: I've access to the Beta side of this forum and its been quiet there, but there is also a Team-member section and I believe\suspect its been busier in there. Somethings did make it to the Beta part of the forum, So I can vouch and say this mod is moving along nicely. ;)
I thought that it was foribben say that exist a Beta-testers sector....
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

what? why would that be?
z33ky
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by z33ky »

I think you just shouldn't give away the information inside the section.
No one can draw any information from knowing the mere existence of it.

I'm more of the quiet type, but I guess I could use Twitter or something to show what I'm working on (after coordinating with W0rf0x of course), though I have to admit that this semester has been doing a good job keeping me busy at least during the weekdays, with the Red Cross gladly taking what spare time I had left weekends.
I should be able to have some time to spend on personal projects next month.

Code: Select all

while(!bugQueue.Empty())
{
	featureList.Insert(bugQueue.Pop());
}
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

New people coming into the mod is probably the biggest thing. How many people might have not come into this mod, all by looking at the last post's date and determining that it's dead? Not ready to release media content? Alright. Even an update that says "Oh hey, we're not dead, and expect us to upload more media in the coming weeks," is all you need. It's really not that hard, and I have yet to see a valid reason for not doing it. Especially Maestro's reason, where he is saying that people need to do extra work to find a couple of pictures. Don't understand why pretty much everyone is arguing against me on this, even though half of you said you agree. I'm pretty sure it's one of those "If a person of authority said it, it must be right" types of things again.

But whatever, you're causing yourselves more harm to your mod than to me.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.