Left 4 Dead DLC and SDK Update

Talk about Valve games and mods.
Ny
Phone Donator
Phone Donator

Left 4 Dead DLC and SDK Update

Post by Ny »

I saw this on the news section of the site a little while ago and thought we'd all be interested
February 5, 2008 — Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life, Portal, Team Fortress, and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced a series of content and development releases for its latest title, 2008's best-selling new game property for the PC and Xbox 360, Left 4 Dead (L4D).

The first L4D DLC — dubbed the L4D Survival Pack -- is due for release this spring and introduces a new multiplayer game mode entitled, Survival, plus two complete campaigns for Versus Mode . A Critic's Choice Edition of the game will be heading to retail stores this spring, and will include access to all the content introduced in the L4D: Survival Pack.

In addition, for PC gamers and aspiring developers, the first Left 4 Dead release for the Source Software Development Kit (Source SDK) will allow the creation of custom Left 4 Dead campaigns that will be discoverable via L4D's matchmaking system. The SDK update is also due for release this spring, and is free of charge to all owners of L4D on the PC.

"Since Half-Life launched in 1998, Valve has made continuous efforts to expand the offering of its products beyond what's included on the day of launch," said Gabe Newell, co-founder and president of Valve. "With Half-Life and Counter-Strike, and more recently Team Fortress 2, we've learned that we're no longer making stand-alone games but creating entertainment services. With Left 4 Dead we're extending that tradition by creating additional gameplay and releasing our internal tools to aspiring developers so they may also create and distribute new Left 4 Dead experiences."

Left 4 Dead is a survival action game from Valve that blends the social entertainment experience of multiplayer games such as Counter-Strike and Team Fortress with the dramatic, narrative experience made popular in single player action game classics such as the Half-Life series of games. Released in November of 2008, L4D has earned over 25 industry awards from outlets around the world.

For more information, please visit www.l4d.com
The hint of a survival mode has got me thinking of a possible extended crescendo maps where there might be a wave format of zombies and specials constantly (like oc_antlion_attack ;)). The "Spring" date for the SDK and the DLC points to a possible March to May release time period so it's about time Valve!
:nyoron:
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Don't own. :(
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

^^ Should own. :-D
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

^^
^^
Might Gift It to you/ :wink:
larz
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by larz »

Other than the SDK this DLC fails.

wooo.....A new game mode and we get to play versus on dead air and that other map we've played over 1000 times before on a game thats supposedly different every time you play it.... :?
Microsoft™ wrote: my favorite thing to do is rape little children
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

Well I might make a shitty little cube with witches in it.
Ny
Phone Donator
Phone Donator

Post by Ny »

Vasili wrote:Well I might make a shitty little cube with witches in it.
Oh god noes
larz
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by larz »

Vasili wrote:Well I might make a shitty little cube with witches in it.
yes pleez. L4D would amuse me again for 5 minutes :o

I'm being too harsh. L4D is still fun to me tbh
Microsoft™ wrote: my favorite thing to do is rape little children
Gurluas
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Post by Gurluas »

Lets hope the SDK can let us get L4D monsters and weapons mounted in Obsidian, would be fun.
Ny
Phone Donator
Phone Donator

Post by Ny »

Just as I predicted in the first post, the Survival mode has been confirmed as a similar mode of the horde mode in Gear of War 2.

Source Bit-Tech
Left 4 Dead Survival Mode detailed

Valve has unveiled the Left 4 Dead Survival Mode, which is essentially an endurance-athon game type.
Valve has, as promised, given a brief unveiling of the new and recently announced Survival Pack add-on that should be coming to the PC and Xbox 360 soon.

The unveiling took place on Gametrailers TV (19 minutes into the episode, by the way), which has brief footage of the additions made to Versus Mode but not any of the new Survival Mode unfortunately.

The downloadable pack, which will also be released in stores by Electronic Arts, will allow players to finally try the Dead Air and Death Toll campaigns in Versus Mode, as well as opening a wholly new gameplay type; Survival.

Survival Mode will be, as expected, a never-ending gameplay type similar to Horde mode in Gears of War 2. Survival Mode will let up to four players to team up over twelve maps to see just how long they can survive constant zombie swarms. There'll be no safe rooms - just wave after wave of undead.

Valve has so far been keeping quiet about any further details about the new mode though, so we're still unsure if those 12 Survival Mode levels will be at all new, or just tweaked versions of levels from existing the campaigns. Probably the latter.

The Survival Mode pack will be released freely for all existing owners of Left 4 Dead, regardless of platform. So, if you've not picked up a copy yet then we suggest you read our full Left 4 Dead review for more info before letting us know what you think in the forums.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Makrontt le nécron
npc_citizen
npc_citizen

Post by Makrontt le nécron »

I have no idea of what he's saying, but it looks fun anyway (is that me or the first screenshot show a zelda-like map? Did the one on YaS server was made by Zteer?).

Edit: just saw in his comment "l4d_zelda01_b"
I'm back baby!