Cool Defense Gameplay

Talk about Valve games and mods.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Cool Defense Gameplay

Post by shiftey »

So I was playing Left4Dead survival on Last Stand. I was thinking to myself..."What a shitty map for a defense. This isn't fun at all!"

First of all when I'm defending an area in a game I like being able to set up defenses first. Gas cans and propane tanks are only so much fun to set up. If it was HL2 I would expect some friendly mines and turrets like in the ant lion defense of EP2, but L4D doesn't have anything cool like that. Even cooler would be barricades like sandbags or barbed wire, but that is usually only doable in an RTS like Company of Heroes.

Second, I want some mounted guns. The minigun, although hardly ever used, is a badass gun to have in a defense situation. I love just firing it before the zombies even show up because its so awesome. If any of you have played KON_Airs second atfor map, I like that big rocket launcher contraption as well.

Third, and I know this isn't any good for L4D, but in say HL2, I love fighting alongside NPCs. I especially like specific named NPCs that have personality. Griggs and his buddy in ep2 were really fun to defend with because they made it more interesting and dynamic.

What's your cool ideas/requirements for an enjoyable defense game/map?
Mr. Someguy
npc_hunter
npc_hunter

Post by Mr. Someguy »

Those are some pretty kickass idea's.

I would like a map where you could defend the area with some surviving Military Personnel. Maybe even have some of the turn infected right in front of your very eyes.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

That'd be really fun to have that in L4D.

I think the triangle defense of the ball tube and alyx in HL2 was a good game mechanic. You have a goal, dynamic NPCs, deployable defenses, and two enemy entry points on opposite sides of the defensive position.

Oh and it helps that you cant reach the enemy spawns.
RocketRunner
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by RocketRunner »

Something like oc_antliondefense.
Of course, that's just me.
I usually run from rockets.
Pretty straightforward.